I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Cockpit / Fuselage:

Time to check for Canopy fitment  and to really show you how bloody complex this cockpit area really is!

The photos speak for themselves...

IHt98al.jpg?1

046R2bi.jpg?1

25XZQQc.jpg?1

Now that I've got the major mounting points of most of the parts established .. I can now continue with the wall - liner

Here's an interesting comparison between my efforts so far and a 1/48th example of same area..

BfO4EgQ.jpg?1 

zs43u4G.jpg?1

Jq5ADH4.png?1

m6Xl7fW.png?1

2JUrRVQ.jpg?1

The padded - wall section comes out as one piece clam-shell design and will be copied in resin at a later stage ( when i got all the cockpit components done)

So far - soo Good!

Pip

Edited by Piprm
more photos

34 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Very taxing work, Phil - but also very impressive!

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I hope I've conveyed here, how complex this cockpit really is... Taxing?  Yes very! ... at times, it does push me to my limits - I feel.

It's that 'Love-Hate' feeling we get with modelling as we all experience at times.

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Thanks for the comments Guys, really appreciate them!

Instrument Panel  

The Pilots Instrument panel ( and navigators too for that matter) are different between all the marks of the Canberra in set up and general 'look'.

Since mine is the RAAF version , I am concentrating on that... but cannot do a 'Generic version' to cover all the marks.

I try to cover all bases but unfortunately, this is a one choice affair for me  regarding this part. Perhaps it's just a simple case of altering the resin panel copies for your own version.( or make a completely new one) .

Here is a study of the Pilots Instrument panel... ( this is the British version - I believe) 

5q4oh0n.jpg

You will notice the panel on the far-right is angled back and in two extra smaller sections

Here is a photo of this area in question.... 

OdCjKHt.jpg

You can clearly see the two angled panels on the right... ( marked red and yellow) 

The B-20 RAAF version has only one angled panel on the right - half side... as shown in next photo.....

YhPPPK0.png?1

Interestingly,  Some Canberra models aren't completely correct in their renditions in this area... ( as per 1/48th model depiction below)

C1Iy3Xb.jpg?1

The photo-etched flat panel (above) would be designed for the 2-seater trainer version I should think....

5W5D3MA.jpg?1

Maybe the angled panel ( above) is a little too angled? ( depends on what mark or version this is ) 

HEduYhD.png?1

now you can see what I mean... also the instrument clusters are different too... 

now to make the Pilots Instrument Panel ( RAAF version) ...

CUJtF0M.jpg?1

dWLiI2C.jpg?1

The cover plates are an entrance tunnel  for the navigator ( and to stop bumping sensitive instrument switches and snagging on sharp edges) 

9gpAGyH.png?1

ua38uKZ.png?1

730cMGB.png?1

Basic shapes - Yes, but they must all fit together with other parts in the cockpit - before I detail.....

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Cockpit : ( Continued) 

Pushing ahead to get the main components made - though in basic form...for the moment

Next , is the Navigator Electrical Control Tower ( highlighted in grey below) 

mqqNWH8.jpg

Now a study in the Control Tower... The first photo is a British version with an extra component/fitting  on top

YCiXr9i.png?1

zfgV8RB.png?1

UqxJzL3.jpg?2

Which version of the Navigators work facia on the Electrical Control Tower I will make,  is undecided right now....

Though, with this information - I made a basic shaped box, which I think will be connected to the Pilots back-partition when the part is finished and ready for molding.

sG8R65D.png?1

Next is Pilots Instrument panel and Electrical Control Tower in place....

Xc38GBC.png?1

You will notice I made additional  'L-shaped'  Pilots flooring ( a separate piece ) which will be detailed on top and sides with possibly the rudder pedals incorporated ( yet to be decided) .....

WMDe8Ax.png?1

Everything 'slides in' as it suppose to... and the basic component shapes are there...

This process is almost like a sculptor chipping away at a block of Marble, until the shapes slowly emerge... and then once that is established, the finer detail is massaged out. (Well this is my approach - anyways :whistle: )

Next... we move onto the Navigators work area....

Pip

Edited by Piprm
alteration

Navigators work station:

A study of Navigators work console/ bench / instruments.....DHUxOfH.jpg

Here's a Navigators instrument panel being restored in the workshop.... ( no not mine)

gCsYtxE.jpg?1

55L34Yf.png?1

You will notice that the instrument cluster/ layouts on the two versions shown above and even the workshop manual illustration (top) are very different!

The Canberra B-20 was in Australian service between 1954 and 1982 and there was constant upgrades of equipment and technologies,over the years.. (as most countries)

So! which one to do ?... I Dunno!:shrug:   ( See! I don't have all the answers!)

Lets start with basic construction and hopefully the answer will emerge itself in time...

7FPhYFD.png?1

XKkMHC0.png?1

As I detail this area later - some decision will be made on the navigators layout...

Pip

Thanks Kage! Your absolutely right... don't think too much - Just do it! ( Nike) 

The Pilots Control Column or 'Joystick' :

This piece is a main focus part of the cockpit and needs to be done right as it's seen or viewed clearly from the top of the aircraft - through the canopy, as well as from the side - through the open crew access door.

I was in two minds on how to do it, either plastic or brass... though brass is a little bit more difficult to work with ( at times) but I went brass as it's going to be reproduced in resin and I need the part to be copied, as crisp and sharp as I can get it.

Most of my previous mastering was done in this way ( the important main parts) 

Here is a study of the part in question...

k5SDjZL.png

Crapipz.png?1

59qzodM.png?1

7tAQaR7.jpg?1

This part of the control handle will be the most time consuming  -  I expect....

diSW7dU.jpg?1

There is no accurate or direct scale plans to go by,  to make this part... So I had to approach it simplistically... at this early stage, at least...

Cardboard cutout and spacial references to start...

OyQxF3l.jpg?1

The only known drawing of the Control column of an unknown scale...

su0lYuV.jpg?1

..... calculator and a ruler does the trick!

cWrEzA6.jpg?1

Copy and scale the plans through my computer and what do you know? ....32% reduction!

wRUEzSU.jpg?1

Onj6o1e.png?1

The main shape is there - but extra and difficult work is needed...mostly in the centre - hub area , the hand - grips and so on....

There is a box on top of the column, which I have no idea what it does - other then an airbrakes switch - amongst others knobs and things! ( see earlier photos)

eQ1uVWC.png?1

LKxSaRP.png?1

BgmnDqE.png?1

The top of the column is prepared for the box addition.. this is the view from the top of the model through the canopy... the detail will be there - eventually

hNZzxEq.png?1

OK, happy with the progress so far... 

Sorry to be bouncing around - from one area to another, but parts sizing and fit - is driving this build/process at this stage.( and there is a lot here to cover!)

Pip

Edited by Piprm

• 1 month later...

Cockpit  (continued)

We focus now on the Canopy Frame - Brace (Bar) ...

As it can be clearly seen from the outside though the Canopy Bubble, I thought I'd knock one up...

First a study of the Bar in Question....

It is not an easy part to see , So I've had to collate a few images to get the full picture...

877DcF1.jpg?1

GyB9l0S.jpg?1

G7Ko5cZ.png

343j6dJ.png

jsHFFAu.png

jIL9Ciw.png?1

fLbDlzy.png?1

qLJMpht.png?1

A revelation... my partition/wall behind pilots ejection seat is too high...

Now to the building of the master part... I thought i'd go with copper...

4mroB9q.png?1

CyrjPuk.png?1

9KIXU9l.png?1

pJij3kt.png?1

TZkenfs.png?1

3rAsuf2.png?1

3i4loE6.png?1

One thing I did find with mucking around with ejection partition wall- heights etc is the Ejection Angles...

Modelling does reveal a few things behind designs sometimes.

In this case, ejection seat escape trajectory angles. 

What I thought initially,  is that both front and rear ejections are of the same angle.

But working over time on key areas of the cockpit ( floor, bracing, walls, fuselage stations etc) and the interconnections with each other... showed me different angles to the ejection seat walls. And this was done for a good reason - I believe...

Below is my conclusion...

3oUkW6d.jpg

j3RP3D0.png

The result of these angles is that the Pilot and Navigators ejection trajectories,  don't come together and bump about in the jet steam!

I think it's designed for wider separation of trajectories...

Happy 2019

Pip

Edited by Piprm
spelling