I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

i know your feeling, experience, hands on actual building this, and the cockpit area is indeed a challenge.

I crawled into a B8 in order to shoot pictures, detail images and impressions so i could present my version of such a cockpit presented into a model......

14 hours ago, TorbenD said:

Very, very nice work - great problem solving Pip - love it!

Torben

Hi Torben,

Glad to know that you're enjoying my Endeavours, I guess after this, any regular kit I may tackle ... I can slap together in my sleep.

Pip

On 10/30/2018 at 9:08 AM, Jack said:

i know your feeling, experience, hands on actual building this, and the cockpit area is indeed a challenge.

I crawled into a B8 in order to shoot pictures, detail images and impressions so i could present my version of such a cockpit presented into a model......

Hi Jack,

I am glad a fellow Canberra - sufferer ....has got my back.

Yes, when i first crawled into the real cockpit many moons ago.. i thought to myself .. "how the hell am I going to do this??"

Then I saw your B-8 project here Jack.. and well .. here is the result!

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Like "black betty" said: it's hard to catch the essence of this cockpit "thingy" concerning the Canberra at this point, but the same goes for the Hunter cockpit,........it's all tooooo black inside, and the trick  is to get all the details jumping in your face without looking too overdone, scale wise that is.

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Absolutely stunning, one of my favourite builds here on LSP! Are you going to vacuform a new canopy? The kit part is pretty far away from reality and the canopy is an extremely characteristic feature of these Canberra versions. 

Thanks Starfighter,

Yes, I agree the kits supplied canopy is very basic... and you are right indeed, the canopy contours are a very stand-out feature at first glance of the aircraft.

I'm not sure what you mean by... am I going to vac-form a new canopy? do you mean make one with a new frame and the clear dome formed together in one part? 

Right now, the clarity and shape of the kits canopy seems pretty good for what it is (though basic) ... so I hope to make a detailed canopy - frame in resin... (half - way through job right now)  so as to,  clip the clear -domed canopy straight into the frame I'm making (which it does easily  - so far).

the trick is to get the framing 'contours' and details  right and make it sit on the forward-fuselage and look right from any angle - thats my challenge!  

(I think I'm half-way there) 

Happy to hear you like my efforts so far...

Cheers

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Canopy and Framework  .... Takin' Shape :

I decided to use the spare 'Round' new canopy for final fitment as well as using it , for the cutting template for the final assembly 'Flat' canopy later...

This would be the way to go when choosing either of the rounded or flat  versions and to use the other canopy on the vac-sheet for the cutting template... as you only get one go at the final canopy!

BJUG3tP.png?1

Oyl0JFh.jpg?1

Now a look at the progress of the canopy and framework so far.....

GnIVjOl.png?1

KUdHuUp.png?1

COk1M8s.jpg?1

amM0X0E.jpg?1

... Now the clear Bubble top inserted in frame-part ... Hmm... snug fit! B)

tvfxsCr.png?1

6hVOwoT.jpg?1

YSKXK2I.png?1

p77sZuj.jpg?1

IFh7NyN.png  Remember this shot of the real one?

mkzKphd.png?1

The overall look?....She's sitting and looking nice! (at least to me!) 

.. as mentioned earlier in thread , the aim is to get close to the  finished part - @ 75% complete .... which I think I'm getting close. 

Once I'm satisfied that I'm close enough...  the next step is copying the framework in resin and working the resin copy further - detailing / massaging - wise...

I will need to detail underneath frame as well in coming threads... 

Now for a quick look of the part in place for over-all effect.... 

Cmi1SmR.jpg?1

Yep . It's taking shape alright! ^_^

Pip

Edited by Piprm
additional wording

Great effort - but I have to admit I think the shape of the canopy is totally off. The kit part is way too bubble shaped, causing its front and rear being way too steep. The canopy appears way more flat on the photo of the real a/c in the background. Your frame also needs some minor modifications compared with the photo. As it is now, your canopy and frame look like they are put on top of the fuselage whilst they smoothly grow out of the fuselage on the real aircraft. No offense intended, but you are doing such an excellent job - it would be a shame to spoil the overall result with a strange looking canopy...

Thanks Starfighter, constructive comments - they are always welcomed!

Yes you're right in most respects... but as i said in the thread... It's taking shape, but it's no-way near the point it needs to be... the target is 75% finished of a canopy that at the end of the process...(copying in resin and working more on it) will then be at it's  100% 'sweet spot' perfect finished... I think I'm at 50% right now... I know there's further work to do on it - to get it at that 75% preparation target. I have a few more photos coming to show the how complex this canopy and how interconnected all the elements, in this canopy area are. (Stay tuned) 

There's still a way to go till I think I'm ready to copy the framework and then work it further to the finished product. 

Yes your right , It's sitting higher and appears to be so, because the bottom of the framework is thicker then it needs to be... ( and the blue clear protective liner perhaps makes it look bigger then it is)  also the back of the canopy ( extension collar ? or angled piece)  needs to be trimmed further towards the canopy. ( too long) and less angled or 'flatter' as you say  -  which I've since done. 

I wasn't focused on the thickness of the bottom framework at the time but more on getting the clear canopy to properly sit in the framework in the first place ( a challenge in itself).

Now that i have accomplished this ( to a major degree) I will focus more on thinning the bottom framework area,  as  I've  mentioned... and the inner parts of the framework as well ( coming threads).

I can easily miss stuff and extra sets of eyes and comments here, are very welcome.

Pip

Edited by Piprm
adding words

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy - Continued 

Now that the Canopy's outside 'basic' shape is established .. my focus is now to the inside of canopy...

I now make a  mounting - ring that inserts into the top of the fuselage and locks itself in - for want of a better description..

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story.....

5MOfMnz.png?1

U4OZxrr.png?1

dr6sd2g.jpg?1

Once i had the mounting ring made... I realised the back - inside area of canopy was raised and the tubular vent system went up with it..

This effects the clear window shown as red arrow... (above) 

86ye0Ys.png?1

... Here's a better view of back of canopy area...

cBGv8xe.jpg

pWEIP3F.jpg?1

t0wvw0P.png?1

Now for the tubular vents that goes right around the edging of the canopy ...

( to strengthen the canopy frame and to  stop the canopy misting up - I should think) 

Its rather a very bendy and twisty affair  - as shown in photo below...

IH6b3BM.jpg?1

l131EsK.png?1

vEByNqC.jpg?1

OmAjLkB.png

Because of the roller coaster tubular vent design ... it's makes it very hard to make unless you make a jig or something... so I took the next option of making it in sections and joining them up later...

2otmRLu.jpg?1

gVGk5U4.jpg?1

ItAG8Zk.jpg?1

3WHnh5I.png

....All to do now is simply clean up the weld points 

Pc14jp4.png?1

Now test for fit and appearance ... 

Nun6y8Z.jpg?1

The canopy sits and fits well.. and thats one battle - won for now!

Pip

Edited by Piprm