I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Well done getting to completion of that section.

Though I can' help feeling you made a bit of a rod for your own back using actual T-section pieces. Its much easier to lay down a flat base plate, then using a compass cutter, cut out the correct radius of the 'stem' to lay on top of it. A little chamfering may be required but nothing too brutal.

Many decades ago, you were often allowed - yes even kids - to clamber about inside Canberras. Sometimes actual operational aircraft, sometimes just exhibition nose sections. Even as a small person, it seemed very dark, claustrophobiic and cramped in the rear section of the cabin, and accessing the nose blister wasn't much better. God knows how grown men in full flying kit coped, especially in turbulence.

Guest Peterpools

Phil

Incredible work - absolutely a more then How to tutorial on building a detailing a vacuform kit.

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Peter

Phil

Incredible work - absolutely a more then How to tutorial on building a detailing a vacuform kit.

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Thanks Very muchly Peter!

This is really a difficult model to build as it is... as other projects i have ready to go will be a breeze - compared to this... but in any case .. i hope my parts will make things a lot easier for those who choose to follow making a Canberra in future..

Cheers

Pip

Edited by Piprm

On 6/4/2018 at 6:15 AM, Chek said:

Well done getting to completion of that section.

Though I can' help feeling you made a bit of a rod for your own back using actual T-section pieces. Its much easier to lay down a flat base plate, then using a compass cutter, cut out the correct radius of the 'stem' to lay on top of it. A little chamfering may be required but nothing too brutal.

Many decades ago, you were often allowed - yes even kids - to clamber about inside Canberras. Sometimes actual operational aircraft, sometimes just exhibition nose sections. Even as a small person, it seemed very dark, claustrophobiic and cramped in the rear section of the cabin, and accessing the nose blister wasn't much better. God knows how grown men in full flying kit coped, especially in turbulence.

Hi Chek,

Yes, i agree with everything you've said.

But working with a vacuform fuselage isn't like working with an injection fuselage... so compromise is the order of the day... don't forget, I'm working with a 1980's vacuform kit... so absolute accuracy isn't what I've got to work with...

You will also see in coming threads why I took this approach compared to the approach of cutting flat cross-sections as you suggested.

It will all make sense to you soon.

Pip

Edited by Piprm
clearer explanation

• 3 months later...

Cockpit Walls (Continued):

After much thought, I have decided to do a 'Generic' interior.... mostly in the area of the cockpit walls, as I realise that most modellers using these future resin copies, will probably be doing a different mark of the Canberra Bomber - according to what Airforce they choose to represent.

And as such, the layout of the cockpit differs to varying degrees, between each model or mark. The following photos gives you a case in point....

Photo 1: RAAF B-20

uSODLNm.png?1

Photo 2: RAF B1

yFh0hi8.jpg?1

Both are right-side to rear areas and you can see the differences in ancillary equipment attached to the side-walls. 

This applies over the entire cockpit areas with variations of the equipment from Mark to Mark and between each  different nations operational requirements. 

So, since I can only do one cockpit 'lay-out'  ....I will keep it a simple 'Generic' version and have just the bare walls and leave others to fit-out the cockpit walls with equipment relevant to the Mark or Model version they choose to construct.

Thankfully, the bare walls for each mark are all the same, so I will focus on that. (for this phase of making masters)

OK, the first area I need to start is the alignment of the small rear compartment windows for the exterior /interior.

Here is Photos for your reference...

hGD4j8J.jpg?1

Top rear of cockpit (exterior) 

RFMivAE.png?2

Interior view of same windows....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Exterior Navigators window rear compartment  (side-fuselage) 

GindDjb.jpg?1

fpokTOD.jpg

Interior view of small port-window....

Both the inner-wall shell I am making with window recesses have to match up with outside dimensions and placements.

So with the help of the Scale drawings for exterior window placement and inner build-up of walls  - I must test-drill' 

the windows to check for accuracy of placement - inside and out.

The outside markings of the windows on inner-wall placements must line - up.....

7Oeqsh7.jpg?1

oq71Bnk.jpg?1

I use a small hand-drill so I can have more control of these 'test- bores'......

R7CLxkD.jpg?1

RmRcPDd.jpg?1

RUX7X95.png?1

koEYmfE.jpg?1

... To my relief... all windows line up!  :P

Edited by Piprm
adding extra words

Here's a peek into my thought processes...

e1sKaxy.jpg?1

I usually try and clarify my ideas to paper so i can 'see' what is possible or possibly not... In this case  it shows my thoughts towards cockpit wall about 6 months ago and the 'approach'.. 

Back to the Cockpit... (Cont) 

The next in line is the wall fabric liner - which, is shown in following photo study ....

nPcsdPs.jpg?1

All gaps and cavities between the fuselage stations through the entire cockpit areas are filled with this fabric inner-liner... with stitching and textures and contours...

So how to reproduce this in a convincing way?.... I had nobody tapping me on the shoulder with any suggestions as to the 'right way' to go about it... 

So,  I came up with a few ideas,  but i chose the following....

a simple butter container aluminium seal.

trzVaN4.jpg?1

n24VeYw.jpg?1

WGzT9IH.png?1

Stationery sourced  'Blu-Tak' was the weapon of choice here to a means of applying the liner to the inner-walls.

The photos continue the story....

49LGsMj.png?1

1xPtGUd.jpg?1

bnPuCz9.png?1

nxy8CnL.png?1

JxuTocR.png?1

EP5fixL.png?1

Did I get the effect i was searching for? :tumble:Erh!... not that excited really!

Edited by Piprm
spelling and diction

I still wasn't satisfied with my first attempt at duplicating the inner-wall liner... so I mulled over it for some time... 

I decided to lay down on my bed to clear my mind and found the answer in front of my face!

The Mattress!

No! I am not prepared to cut up my perfectly good mattress for you guys!

It seems too,  that the material coverings are the same as the cockpit liners of these military aircraft... though maybe the wrong scale for this purpose...

(Though....imagine the Wifeee coming home to find her husband cutting up her mattress! :huh:)

8FicQgr.jpg?1

The  Tag stitched to the edge of most mattresses is the focus of my attentions here , which is very thin and finely woven. They seem to have a thin layer of white sealant to be printed on ..

Maybe a latex of some sort... It also seems to be the answer to my problem!

7FRRCNR.jpg?1

torp2jb.jpg?1

I will let the photos tell the rest of the story....

KeowDV3.png?1

Qox0SWZ.png?1

W05VVu7.jpg?1

... Actually, the stitching effect this gave by dragging a blunt knife across the surface,  i wasn't expecting at all! 

JfHnaGa.png?1

NLqOVD9.png?1

5NQPoQI.png?1

cSe34UL.jpg?1

CEruIhf.jpg?1

So!.. Am i happy with effect of this new fabric liner?  .....You are Damn Tooting I am!   :yahoo:

Edited by Piprm
wording

Thanks Gazza!  ...I aim to please!...

So, the results are that I had to make a few adjustments....

HY72Bh1.png?1

Out you go!

13h16nx.png?1

gbLc46e.png?1

... now- Thats More Like it!

and now for a test fit of a rough test-rear seat for general appearances. (good or bad) 

s3PcoKd.png?1

Overall - i am happy with the direction this is now going..:P

Edited by Piprm
additions