I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Sorry Folks... got distracted with a car project in recent times... 

OK back to (Gulp) work!

Cockpit:

Since the internal fuselage framework structure is in some parts of the cockpit, evident to the eye  (showing between internal fabric and panelling)  here and there, I've decided to produce the whole cockpit fuselage - framework in it's entirety, because i am an idiot and like doing things the 'Hard way!!' (Generally speaking). 

Though the real reason, is that i am reproducing these parts for others interested in obtaining after-market accessory parts of this Canberra through yours-truly.

I have to make these parts and make them in a way, that can be detached and molded for further copies later. So it is a more time-consuming process rather then making the individual part and sticking it in permanently!

So!... working off plans,  we start the first phase of many ...

The Cockpit Internal Framework :

p1Zb7LJ.jpg?1

Finding and marking each station and working along the fuselage  (being rounded, it is more easier to work outside in - then inside out!!) keeping lines/stations uniform... rather than with working free-hand in internal fuselage areas where some restrictions in accuracy are experienced to work..

UUruwcl.jpg?1

Next - is my tried and proven method of backlit lines or see-through effect to get even and exact points of reference for each station-frame,  before they go in. 

hvPAaW7.jpg?1

hJ2FGJ8.jpg?1

yASgww0.jpg?1

MAdeXVA.jpg?2

Without this method, making lines inside the fuselage to mark these station - lines 'Free-hand' is not easy without anything to go by...

uo7RT2E.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

Thanks Torben ,Gaz, Mark and Marus,

Yes, i've seen the 'Virtual cockpit before.. also crawled around a real one.. but thanks none - the - same!

OK, Back to the Cesspit... Oh!... I mean Cockpit!

As mentioned, I have to use the inner-forward fuselage as a 'template' to making the master cockpit 'Clamshell' ... So with no further Adjure...

CLAM-SHELL Cockpit Walls (inner liner)

I had to choose a glue or something that would fix the walls/structure against the fuselage, whilst i work on the inner-details of the cockpit and also be able to detach the Clam-shell cockpit  wall/frames away from the inner-fuselage for later copying in resin.. without damaging my work.... or the fuselage!

This is my answer!

The photos tell the story...

ruGRYnW.jpg?1

S6R9iRt.jpg?1

2HgT5BP.jpg?1

jT8no7d.jpg?1

Hot air to soften plastic piece...

sjzoyhu.jpg?1

... i made up this Jig because of the 'T' frame strength and it's resistance to bending....(yes I replicated the framework 'shape'  - the same as the real thing) and had to be bent/molded  in a 2-stages process for making the frame - stations of the inner-fusealege or if I did the 'full-bend'.... in one go (as my preliminary first tries showed me)  bad distortions would result...

Again - back in the day.. the factory would have had to form or round off the T - frame,  much the same as i am doing here -  in steps or stages... (not in one go) 

This is the 1/2 bend phase...

r1M8BVe.jpg?1

KZHi6xB.jpg?1

xEQGc8x.jpg?1

0kzb8uL.jpg?1

WEjAGnw.jpg?1

0sZQxqo.png

qNK4LZg.jpg?1

ANj3zST.jpg?1

TQ4uyJC.jpg?1

bBvgw8b.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

Good hard work! Love it. Had to read more about the Canberra tonight. I did not know it was the Mosquito's replacement,  the first jet to cross the Atlantic, the first US jet plane to drop a bomb in combat (as the B-57). And quite interestingly NASA still uses their WB-57 "Canberras" today. Good to pay tribute to a "Great One" 

Good hard work! Love it. Had to read more about the Canberra tonight. I did not know it was the Mosquito's replacement,  the first jet to cross the Atlantic, the first US jet plane to drop a bomb in combat (as the B-57). And quite interestingly NASA still uses their WB-57 "Canberras" today. Good to pay tribute to a "Great One" 

I can see how this Canberra design has lasted so long in military and other service (60+ years?) because it's built like a battleship!

Pip

wow - this is my kind of modelling - every single bit needs fully thinking through and great skill to deliver..

love what you are doing here :)

Peter

Thanks Peter,

...your words mean a lot to me! ....and also glad you are enjoying my endeavours.

Pip

• 4 weeks later...

COCKPIT - (Continued) 

The cockpit inner-wall build-up is done by stages... in this case - layering.

Like anything i do here - my general approach is :  think of a few different ways of doing a task - then pick the best idea of the bunch.

As I said previously, there is no book to go by nor instruction sheets to follow for this build... but then, I am not doing a 'normal' build here.....

more a mastering of parts  - then copying parts in resin  - utilising those parts .... progressing to the final stage build to completion. 

My basic approach here is very thin plastic sheet to start and then build up thicker overlays....

... I'll let the photos speak for themselves....

DEU1OcM.jpg?1

VxLpsqh.jpg?1

bzaxlTH.jpg?1

OZj3Um4.jpg?1

dHIw2Ka.jpg?1

pBdsxBP.jpg?1

oQw3iSh.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

Continued:

ZLY7fcC.jpg?1

68BFjTZ.png?1

wDun9pq.png?1

xvtHslt.png?1

At this stage - I found the plastic T-framing was not coping with the tighter bending and had a limit,  based on the thickness of the plastic I was manipulating... before badly distorting and rendering it unusable..

LZsJ1uF.png?1

This was made more acute as I worked my way forward and the fuselage became narrower...

So I tried a few ideas...... 

BbjEmi1.png?1

ggZwq0b.png?1

yqzl2iJ.png?2

38B5BxJ.png?1

EEK! ... No way!  :oops:

Edited by Piprm
spacing

Continued:

So, I went back to the real references and found the T- station framework was smaller in size as it went forward to the  nose-ring...

(I guess i got caught out with the mindless repetitive making of bits and pieces)  :shrug:

qD5CvCe.png?1

The photo shows a stripped bare internal forward fuselage during restoration...... but the varied thicknesses of T-frame / stations  are obvious.

...So with this reality - check... I remedied this with a simple adjustment...

gtRAx1U.png?1

The smaller T-frame is more workable and didn't distort at all with the tighter radiuses as I worked forward to the nose tip... and I'm keeping with the original aircraft specs anyways...

......(in a plastic modelling sort of way) :rolleyes:

iP3rW8Y.png?1

JJyRACf.png?1

I've marked the layers to remind myself what I've done (or not done - in certain areas) 

e9yppmM.png?1

Now for my trusty soldering iron to plastic-weld the second layer to the T-framework to give the clam-shell forward fuselage structural walls some integral back-bone in this phase of contruction (mastering) 

CvXhBcH.png?1

M7FF9ET.png?1

Yep!... I'm happy with results - so far... :)

Edited by Piprm
spacing