Bf 110D of II./NJG3 (1/32 Dragon) *FINISHED!*

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, guys!

Today I started working on the port engine and got that ready to go. As you can see in the photos, I started with just the main parts, including the bearer arms, just to get them to fit in the nacelles.

20151128_130748_zpsld7syhxw.jpg

20151128_133840_zpslo6anljw.jpg

Once the engine was in place, I went to the lower cowl. Before attaching it, I installed the inserts that go around the exhaust pipes, which makes installing the lower cowl piece a lot easier, since there are more lines and surface area to assist in getting lined up for a solid join. I noticed that both engines appear to want to nose down a bit from the thrust line, but installing the lower cowl pushes them back up into alignment. The port engine had more tilt to it, for some reason, so I had to push a little harder and use a little more glue than on the right side.

20151128_141106_zpsgdgnxlra.jpg

And here, with the top panel just sitting in place.

20151128_141236_zpsbbqixulu.jpg

20151128_141550_zpskptjej5v.jpg

Cheers,

John

Looking good John, way to go all sealed up I reckon! I found it slightly annoying that Quickboost do a great replacement firewall for the 1/48th Dragon Bf110 but not for the 1/32nd, but perhaps that's not such a bad thing and really won't matter to me when the G4 set comes out! :)

Max

Thanks, Max.

I was thinking of waiting for a G kit to come out, but this build has me questioning whether I might just HAVE to build a G, by the best possible means. If that means a newer, good quality conversion, it would certainly be worth it!

I made a lot of progress today. I started off by getting the cowl instruments in order. I used the Eduard Zoom parts and the kit's "glass", which I had dipped in Future. I carefully glued them into place, but also put a strip of tape behind each one, just to be sure they would stay in place.

20151128_185143_zpsrzh3lpt0.jpg

20151128_190853_zpsx4ur1nwq.jpg

After that, I attached the wings to the fuselage. The fit on the top was very good, overall. The bottom had gaps to fill and I had to shim and putty them. I'm still working on the belly.....

20151128_235209_zpswzpblwgd.jpg

But the top got a preliminary coat of aluminum, to check the seams. This will also serve as an undercoat for weathering, later on.

20151128_234600_zpsbz99781z.jpg

20151128_234632_zpsmtfvwdtu.jpg

I haven't masked the instruments yet, nor have I glued the cowl tops in position. I want to give the Future on the lenses a full 24 hours to dry before masking them. So, I'm going to call it a night and let things cure.

Regards,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I've spent more time getting the pre-painting done for the markings which will be masked/painted off. I'll post more pictures of that once it's ready for paint.

First, however, is the canopy, which I completely masked, inside and out. I started by masking the outside, first. Then, I used the exterior masks as a guide to line up for the interior. The Montex masks made it pretty easy, actually. I was expecting a lot more trouble than this! The masks seem to fit perfectly, so anything that's not properly lined up is my own fault, for sure, but it looks pretty good to me. I also added wire grab handles to the windscreen.

20151130_075007_zpscjqvfqeu.jpg

20151130_074603_zpstjcoap5k.jpg

There are just a few, small things left to do for the rest of the airframe before I can start painting. Right now, I'm enduring a snow storm. Kids are coming home early from school and I have to go get my wife from work. On the bright side, I might get snowed in and have nothing to do but work on this plane. biggrin.png

John

Just keep an eye on the canopy masks which are on the curved surfaces, I find the vinyl type lift from them quite easily and quickly.

Agreed 100% Ade, though I thought my experience was because I was working in 1/48th scale. The worst offenders were on the main centre section, the transition from sides to top.

Max

Thanks, everyone!

Thud, I think I got the masks from Victory Models. I've bought quite a few things from them in the last couple years, as they seem to have a lot of things that other places don't carry. They also sell through Ebay.

Just painted the internal canopy framing and am working on masking off the markings, right now. More pics to come, tonight.

John

The canopy parts....

20151130_172700_zpsqwnp4vuw.jpg

20151201_003238_zpsfg8nj3mc.jpg

20151201_003418_zpsrmfgf4sx.jpg

20151201_003735_zpsagcoltph.jpg

I was also able to get most of the masking done, at least what can be done at this point. I'm still not sure if I'll run with "OP" (6. Staffel) as being the aircraft and staffel letters, but was just testing the idea. I still have a little bit of the light gray for the lettering to shoot, as I didn't get it close enough to the fuselage cross to the rear. 

20151130_205802_zpsvqbqw4vn.jpg

20151130_205833_zpsixugjerf.jpg

From here, I started applying more RLM 65 to various spots where it will peek through. Not just on the bottom, but on the fuselage sides, also (However, most, if not all of it will be sprayed over with a heavy mottle). I also painted the bomb rack's exterior fairing in 65, then Aircraft Interior Black (same color as the canopy, but it appears greenish in certain light, in the pics). 

20151201_003959_zpsixtamzaz.jpg

20151201_004138_zpsmy7xxfmn.jpg

20151201_004452_zpsch2djow8.jpg

Thanks again,

John