Bf 110D of II./NJG3 (1/32 Dragon) *FINISHED!*

mywifehatesmodels

And the work continues! :frantic:

Right now, I'm waiting for the landing gear paint to dry, then I can weather them. I did make brake lines today out of fishing line (thick, 30lb. stuff), so the gear are nearly finished.

I also spent time today on a few other things. For the cockpit, I worked on the Revi sight. The Eduard Zoom kit has a few parts that do help to spice it up a little and I also added a power cable made of wire.

20151205_143408_zps6v87qych.jpg

Difficult to see it in this photo, but it's in there....

20151205_164849_zpspui3r3jq.jpg

I also worked on the rear gun. Once again, the Aber barrel, jacket and sights were used. However, I did modify the arrangement a little bit. The kit parts for the gun mount have the canvas shroud molded into it. First of all, I'm not crazy about how the shroud looks. It's almost too uniform and perfect to look realistic. So, I had a few choices to consider. I could have just lived with it, but it would have bugged me. Or, I could make a new shroud, which I've done before (like the spent case chute that I made of foil in my Ju 87A, or the nose cannon shroud I made out of resin on my Ju 188). Or, last but not least, I could do away with the shroud, altogether, since they were often removed, anyway. I chose to go with that latter, but it wasn't going to be so easy as to just cut it off the kit part. On the real mount, the rear of the shroud attaches to a bar type frame that conforms to the same shape as the opening at the rear of the gunner's hatch. I found a good photo showing that frame and decided that this is what I wanted to go with. So, using some sheet plastic, I made the small fairing at the bottom of it, which attaches to the fuselage skin on the very edge of the fuselage skin and then made the frame from a section of paper clip that I bent to match the shape/size of the opening on the gunner's transparency. Here's what the gun and mount look like, as well as this frame, then the two attached to the model.

20151205_104532_zpsqtajq7r3.jpg

20151205_110808_zpsl444ggvc.jpg

20151205_164717_zpsd0m03qwm.jpg

Oh, and I also made the strap on top of the magazine out of a strip of wine bottle foil, since I had pretty much obliterated the molded in strap detail while prepping the saddle drum mag. Oops!

I also just realized that I have also glued the exhaust pipes and props in place, as well, but forgot to get photos of them. Other than that, it's just one touch-up after another, in between points where I think I know what I'm doing. :lol: Once the gear and doors are finished, it will be like rounding third base and heading for home plate, though. Getting really close to finishing this!

Thanks again for your support!

John

I believe this is one of the best 110 builds I've seen! Wonderful attention to detail! Do you have good color ref pics of the landing gear?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks, Tom!

I think that most photos would suggest RLM 02 for the gear color. However, they're usually pretty dirty and I've seen one photo of a D-1, in use as a nightfighter and repainted overall black,  where the gear look really dark and clean, most likely being RLM 66. Some Gs appear to have either 65 or 76, as well. However, I think 02 was probably standard.

Thanks again,

John

I have to agree with you both: with Tom in saying this superlative build is probably the best that I've seen in detailing and finish, and with you John regarding RLM02 as a standard for the whole wheel well and undercarraige area. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model to get a "feel" of the whole plane.

Max

John,

I was asking because (and it has been a while since I've looked, and I've forgotten the Dragon part number)) there is a little cup that caught oil attached to each main gear, and I believe this was painted red. It's a nice contrast to that RLM 02. If you want I can dig up the references.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

John,

I was asking because (and it has been a while since I've looked, and I've forgotten the Dragon part number)) there is a little cup that caught oil attached to each main gear, and I believe this was painted red. It's a nice contrast to that RLM 02. If you want I can dig up the references.

Cheers, Tom

Tom,

I think I'm already past that point and not sure if I can reach those cups. However, I'm always open to information and if I can't do it on this model, then at least I know what to look for on the next one (and I would like to think that I will build at least one, if not two more 110s, at some point).

Life got in the way today, so I haven't been able to do any work yet. However, I'll be hitting it again tonight, so we'll see what I can get done.

Thanks again,

John

Well, I think I'm pretty much done with this one. If Tom has something showing that the "oil cups" are to be red, I might try to give that a go, since I believe they may still be accessible, if I'm very careful. Also, I think the main wheels could use a bit more weathering (although they look more weathered in person that in the photos, for some reason). I'm not sure if I'm going to flatten the tires, or not. It seems to sit pretty well as it is and the shelf that I'm building is going to have a turf base, so it may not be needed. I'm going to try to get some outdoor shots this week and, if I can do that, I'll post them in the RFI forum.

I want to thank everyone again, for following along and all the help and encouragement. This has been a fun build and, even though there are plenty of flaws and things I would do differently if I had to do it again, I'm actually thrilled with how it turned out.

Happy Modeling!

John

Me110C1-NJG3-Schleswig%20ONE%20CROPPED_z

Indoor%201_zpslmoubozx.jpg

Indoor%202_zpsad9txkdy.jpg

Indoor%203_zpslaesepao.jpg

Indoor%204_zpsq6g1c7p4.jpg

Indoor%205_zpsjt8wyhpw.jpg

Indoor%207_zpsxg5i42ey.jpg

Indoor%209_zpszkrzidaf.jpg

Indoor%2010_zpsicv3ql0k.jpg