Bf 110D of II./NJG3 (1/32 Dragon) *FINISHED!*

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone.

Since I last posted, I've been picking away at more of the paint and it's now ready for the few decals that will be applied. Here's a couple shots of the underside:

20151202_235852_zpstvky6efn.jpg

20151203_000123_zpscrqstkt4.jpg

I also managed to get the raft cable painted to match the rest of the fuselage, as it should be....

20151202_232845_zpsavfma8me.jpg

I've also started with a very light post-shading and blending of the colors.

20151203_012055_zps5mywytd7.jpg

The obligatory, messy bench photo:

20151202_212954_zpsid2h3gzw.jpg

I have a lot of things to do today, but hope to be back at the bench tonight, to finish up the decals so that I can start the real weathering process. Thanks again to everyone for following along and commenting. It means a lot to hear from those whose work I admire so much!

Regards,

John

Guest Peterpools

John

Super start on the decal work and light weathering ... looking so good. Black is a tough color to weather and looking forward to seeing your magic.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Today I got the decals on. There weren't a lot to put on, really. I used the stencils from an Eagle Cals set. Here she is with decals installed, then after some paint chipping and sealing with semi-gloss.

20151203_091642_zps5a7mphbh.jpg

20151203_195618_zpsptch4mpz.jpg

After this, I really didn't take any more pictures of the various steps. Let's just say it was an all day affair, going back and forth between the enamels, oils and some pastels here and there. Once I thought I had it where I wanted it, I shot it with a final flat coat. Unfortunately, I had an issue with some spots appearing in the flat lacquer. I'm going to let it cure over night and I might be able to polish them out. On the plus side, they're not really visible in the pics, so that tells me just how minor an issue it is.

20151204_020259_zpsgjaljhsh.jpg

20151204_020341_zpsnt7cf62x.jpg

20151204_020428_zpsllkcrmpk.jpg

20151204_020800_zpsnktuf4qx.jpg

20151204_020559_zpse80zt3au.jpg

I worked on the undersides a bit, too, but didn't get any photos. There's not much to show yet, really. A few paint chips, but it was kept to a very low key minimum, as the photo seems to show a pretty clean black on the bottom, for the most part. I'll probably add more weathering to the belly, once i get the landing gear installed, so I can keep it from being messed up while sliding around on my bench. I still have a bunch of work to do on all the exhaust stains, also. She's really starting to take shape, though!

Thanks!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Today I started working on some of the smaller details so I can get this finished. First off were the props. I was able to get one completely done, but I lost one of the little collars for the prop boss of the other unit, so I'll have to make another one before I can finish it. I also added an aluminum tube to the center of each. I realize that the paint chipping is on the trailing edge of one blade here. Need to fix that!

20151204_212601_zpsfrpyh2oa.jpg

20151204_215049_zpsegvtz52l.jpg

Next up was the nose guns. The hardest part was getting them all set up so that they would easily (HA!) move through the holes while putting the nose section on...for good! I did each gun, one at a time, checking the fit with every one and making adjustments. Once I got the barrel of each gun in place, I would hit the receiver of the weapon (where it's glued in) with accelerator to freeze it in place. I also discovered that the flash hiders on the Aber barrels are so sharply machined that they will easily slide into the end of you thumb if you try to push on one! :blush:

20151204_224844_zpsqrkzk9wm.jpg

20151204_224740_zpsapcohqca.jpg

20151204_231913_zpsgjlrcxzm.jpg

I was also able to get the landing gear installed, but they're not painted yet. That was probably a good decision, as it took a couple test runs to get them angled in right, since I chose not to install them earlier on, as per the instructions. I would recommend that anyone building this kit in the future at least do  dry run with the parts and get them sorted out, left and right, before you glue together the wheel bay in the wing. It's not insanely difficult to get them into place later, but knowing how it's supposed to go together and having all left/right parts separated and figured out is a big plus. Also, if you were to build the gear legs with all of the struts in place before putting it into the wheel well, later on, you would probably not be able to fit it in without breaking something.

So, tomorrow I hope to finish the wheels and landing gear and I also want to add brake lines. Then, it's on to finishing off the cockpit/canopy, then the final, small bits. It's getting close to being done, though! :yahoo:

Thanks again for all the support, guys. ;)

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels