Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

brian

Great recovery and the paint work looks beautifully smooth.

Your conforming packaging is as complicated as the kit and absolutely the right way to transport models.

Thanks for sharing

Peter

Gaz, Peter and Torben, thanks very kindly for stopping in on me gents!

However, I wish I had better news...........

CURSE!!!!!!    This thing is cursed I tells ya!!        is not just a regular curse, its an "EXTRA" curse. 

I went to continue on with the paint process yesterday only to find:

A. - There is so much primer and filler on the cowl that its still a bit "soft" on top of the cowl, and the masking tape I used to paint the red left indentation marks.   *SIGH*

Ok then...................NP. Some 800 grit sand paper knocked that down, and no loss of white color in the areas that needed to stay white.   whew! 

B. - Then, when I went to further try to mask the ailerons, I actually broke one in half.  Of course it would NOT glue back together with CA since it broke right at the weakest part where the middle aileron control rod space was.   SO, I had to actually drill a very small slot in it, and put a piece of stiff wire imbedded in it, then soak with thin CA, then cover with Mr. Surfacer:

20180611_183124-XL.jpg

C. - The biggie............When I was injecting the resin into the nose, I removed both of the cheek cowl foam inserts I used to mask off the interior of the engine from the white paint. 

What I didnt do was remove the round foam insert I used to mask off the main front hole in the cowl where the prop hub protrudes and the spinner sets in.  

It basically turned the foam into ROCK SOLID chunk of resin.   Again,  *SIGH*. SO I took a mini drill to the foam as best I could, but of course in doing so, I completely destroyed one cheek opening as well as the main round opening of the cowl.  So, after removing all the foam as best I could, I used some micro-balloons and thick CA to fill in the broken parts:

20180611_183107-XL.jpg

20180611_183103-XL.jpg

20180611_183057-XL.jpg

1 or 2 steps forward and 3 or 4 back.      :help:        So, now I wait to let the CA and MB cure, then tonight or tomorrow night will attempt to re-shape that front cowl area. Hopefully since not too much is actually visible in there, and the spinner itself takes up a majority (see here ALL of the space) of the front main round opening, Im hoping this can be fixed without too much hassle, but I dont have a lot of hope of that (no hassle that is). 

Thanks Hubert!  This one is really taking it out of me..................JUST when I think Im getting ahead and the MoJo on this build is gaining.................Something happens like this and knocks me down again.

Im going to try to fix the nose without masking too much, as I really need to get on with this in the worst way. If I can just get the paint full on and smoothed out, along with the decals, I think I might actually be able to finish this one.

Still, the end seems miles away once again however. 

Wow, Brian!  Sorry to hear about the new problems.  It looks like such a fragile design.

Gaz

This is starting to feel like one of my builds, Brian! Good luck with the fix.

Kev

Awww fer cryin' out loud Brian! Just when things were starting to get back on track....... :BANGHEAD2:

Like Kevin said, good luck with the fix! If it were me, I'd 'ave gone ballistic at this point.  :blowup:

Cheers,

Wolf

Seeing the « circular Â» opening behind the spinner, and although I confess I do not know knowing if much of it will be visible after the spinner will be fitted, I'd have tried to reinstate the circle by inserting a piece of tube ...

Hubert

Gaz, K1, Wolf, Hubert thanks for dropping in on me gents................

Hubert, that is actually a great Idea! To answer that question (what will be visible in the circle opening after the spinner is fitted) the answer is "not much".  So that makes the inside diameter of the circle inconsequential.   I might have to try to find a suitable sized tube and see if I can cut a slice off of it the right thickness and just insert it then glue and fill from there.

I already have the CA and microballoons in situ at the moment, so Im going to try to sand that down to conform since again the inside portion of the opening isnt seen at all. Im in the process of trying to sell a pop-up camper trailer at the moment, so washing and taking pics of it took up all of last night, so Im hoping to start implementing the fix on the Extra tonight. 

Guest Peterpools

Brian

OMG

Just can't believe what you have constantly run into on this build. You're a better man then me and I'm with Wolf as would have long boxed the kit up and stop beating myself over the head.

Nerves of steel Buddy and a never say die attitude

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks gents..............

Every time I keep thinking Im getting ahead, something ends up happening to knock me back. So.............on that note, I got ahead on some things, so fully expect something disastrous will happen again shortly. 

I got the nose area filled with some Mr Surfacer 1200 and set that about to harden off, when I got a ring at the door with a small, but proportionally very heavy package in the mail. Turns out its the Extras new base!

Its a 10" x 10" x 3/4" deep square beveled piece of polished black acrylic. It cost a dollar or two, but worth it, as the finish came, its flawless, and way WAY WAY better than the wooden one I worked on for to many weeks to try to not get even half this polished:

20180616_213317-XL.jpg

20180616_213326-XL.jpg

20180616_213311-XL.jpg

20180616_213358-XL.jpg

Next, while the Mr Surfacer on the cowl dried, I continued work on the "extra" (not "Extra") engine that will be displayed on the stand. One small step back on this, as I lost the starter. It broke off somewhere never to be seen again, so I have to remake that out of something, but its not a huge deal, as I think I can remake it out of tubing and some watch parts. 

I did get more forward than back on the supplementary engine, by getting a good start on new brass spark plugs, electric distributor thing (both watch parts but still missing the 6 silver wires, one to each cylinder) and full spark plug wires.  Looks like I still have a bit of paint cleanup to do on the plug wires as well. I also added all the push rod covers, made from cut pieces of polished sewing needles. THAT was a PITA getting each one perfectly cut to size:

20180616_220627-XL.jpg

20180616_220513-XL.jpg

20180616_220533-XL.jpg

20180616_220543-XL.jpg

20180616_220603-XL.jpg

I have yet to add the single run hard silver wires to each cylinder, the two distributors for the plug wires, remake the starter and gear, add the carb intake tubes and throttle body mechanism. 

Until the next disaster gents!