Out2gtcha

:yahoo: :wow: :popcorn:

Brian...

EXCEPTIONAL  build thus far.. Looks really great next to the Fury. 

:wow:   :m0152: 

Looking great Brian!

Frankie, Maru, Chris, thanks very much for stopping in on me. The fit of the wings to the fuse is actually quite nice. I am however thinking about getting the cowl fitted first as the cowl seems to have some tiny fit issues at the bottom when the top is fitted flush. Id also like to make sure I have the cowl, wings, and horizontal stabs fit and aligned before I prime anything, as I think it will give me a good benchmark of where Im at as far as a need for more filling and/or sanding. 

Im heading out tonight for a bit, but will im sure be back on this later and/or tomorrow depending on when we get back from dinner.

Cheers, 

There's one thing Brian, you should n't have any difficulty finding space for this little gem in your cabinet. :)

Lovely work as usual.

Cheers.

Haha, thanks Guy....................I was thinking about exactly that.............practically NO room taken up VS some of the other stuff in my display cab. 

Well I got the firewall taken care of last night, as well as finishing the "in plane" engine (not a whole lot of it will actually be seen once done) as well as getting the engine mount for the 2nd engine painted, and a start on the engine stand itself.

I also actually got the exhaust pipes on, as well as the intake runners, and mounted the engine, but no pics as of yet, as it was still drying when I went to bed.

Pics soon

Thanks and cheers

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Looking Oh So Good and it's always a milestone when the fuselage is buttoned up and the wings and tail planes are on.

Yup, she sure is small but not that small.

Now we're talking small and I would just love to strap one of these Microjets on. Sure would make for a fantastic 1/24th scale kit

Peter

IRIS_BD-5_zpsbks083s9.jpg

Hi Brian

Looking Oh So Good and it's always a milestone when the fuselage is buttoned up and the wings and tail planes are on.

Yup, she sure is small but not that small.

Now we're talking small and I would just love to strap one of these Microjets on. Sure would make for a fantastic 1/24th scale kit

Peter

IRIS_BD-5_zpsbks083s9.jpg

We saw a similar microjet to the BD-5 with lighted LED side panels perform EAAs AirVenture a few years ago.   Very similar to the BD-5 only smaller even:

SubSonex_071114-5.jpg

The night performance was something to behold.............

Guest Peterpools

HI Brian

Thanks for the video ... super aerobatic flying and a night no less.

Wouldn't m ind strapping one of those on either and playing in the sky

Peter

Peter, Martin, as always thank you my friends for stopping in, and taking the time to comment. I know some dont care for "atta-boy" posts, but as one who delivers such posts myself, I can attest that they DO in fact help with motivation!  

Without a doubt it helps to keep one going...................

Speaking of keeping going, some more progress to show. Pics in a few!

Peter, Martin, as always thank you my friends for stopping in, and taking the time to comment. I know some dont care for "atta-boy" posts, but as one who delivers such posts myself, I can attest that they DO in fact help with motivation!  

Without a doubt it helps to keep one going...................

Speaking of keeping going, some more progress to show. Pics in a few!

I totally agree with what you say Brian !.....Harv :popcorn:

Ok, 

As Ive had a lot going on lately round here with moving groups at work, and helping the X get to see her pregnant daughter a few hours away who is having a baby today, I have actually been getting some progress on the little Extra (albeit not a TON of progress  but progress all the same).

So yesterday, after getting the Lycoming Thunderbolt parts left to add organized,  I decided it was time to finish up the firewall so the engine could be mounted. I made the decision to glue the OOB engine mount on, then assemble the push rods (lead wire) intake runners and exhaust to complete the engine as it would sit in the model. 

To be honest, there is not much of this that will be seen at all, but nice looking none the less, even if its just the back, exhaust and front two cylinders that will eventually be able to be seen once completed.

The firewall color call-out called for "dark aluminum" IIRC, so I decided just foil it. Not perfect, but the areas that aren't perfect will not be able to be seen once the engine and cowl is added, so this looks ok to me. I also carried the foil under the exhaust too, as I will also later add a separate heat discolored piece of foil on top of this just behind the exhaust dump per the 1:1 (The small rip in the foil at the step will be cleaned up and fixed before mounting):

2017-01-09%2010.33.15.jpg

2017-01-09%2010.33.19.jpg

2017-01-09%2010.33.37.jpg

Next it was on to finishing the little Lycoming Thunderbolt, so I could glue on the engine and mount (after I had figured out the best way to center the engine in the cowling as well as inserting a brass rod for the prop - pics of that later) :

The little Lycoming engine is a tiny work of art/kit in itself. It truly is a modern engineering/molding marvel. Im SO glad I get to show another "blinged out" Lycoming with the model. 

Not perfect, and not highly detailed like the second engine will be, but still turned out nice IMHO:

2017-01-09%2017.55.47.jpg

2017-01-09%2017.55.56.jpg

2017-01-09%2017.56.42.jpg

2017-01-09%2017.56.48.jpg

2017-01-09%2017.56.55.jpg

2017-01-09%2017.57.09.jpg

I did actually get the engine glued on the firewall, but it was still drying when I took the rest of these pics, so I will include firewall engine mated pics in my next update. 
Next up, it will be gluing the cowl on, getting a start on the prop, and figuring out the best way to glue the wings and empennage  on at the correct angle.

Cheers till next time! 

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Super work on the Lycoming and the firewall foiling looks spot on. I can almost hear the Lycoming turning over and firing on all 6 cylinders.

Keep 'em coming

Peter