Out2gtcha

Thanks gents!

This one is starting to come together. I've been at it with paint touch-ups for a solid two days now (taking into account work and sleep of course). And that's just the red touch-up! The red touch-up has gone fairly smoothly, and I only had one minor boggle on the rudder, and because of the small size of the Extra, and how complex the scheme is, I had to break the red touch-up into two parts, over two days so things would be nice and hardened. 

I've also chopped the prop blades off of their resin pour blocks that I was using to paint them figuring I probably needed to size them to fit in the spinner, and sure enough, they were way too big at the base. So I cut them off the blocks, then used a jewelers file to sand the sides of the base till there was enough room for the blade to slip into the spinner hole after paint. I had to re-shoot the red and black on the prop too, as my attempt at a brush touch-up failed. I re-shot the red on the tips with the same MRP red I used for the air frame.  That paint goes down SO smooth, it makes me look better than I probably am.

Speaking of looking better than I actually am, I shot some MRP "Super Clear" gloss clear over the outside of the canopy since it is completely separate from the rest of the model, and needed a small decal with Jeff's name on it. I also shot some flat black on the inside of the canopy as well, covering the home-made "frame" (small bit of copper wire) I put on the inside of the canopy.

All this is now hardening off, and Ill give it overnight to get fully so.  I've been going so mad crazy consistently at this thing since Saturday, that I haven't had any time to take pics, but its all tape and ugliness ATM, so nothing too noteworthy pic wise til all this dries sufficiently. 

More soon, and Ill take some pics once I have something to show!

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

...its all tape and ugliness ATM, so nothing too noteworthy...

I need this on a shirt - perfectly describes my life!  If only a spot of super smooth red paint would fix it all...  ;)

Thanks for keeping on w this build Bri - it's E-P-I-C!  :D

B~

Edited by Uilleann

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Brilliant work and what a comeback!  Can't wait to see the Extra with the touch ups done. And you really are that GOOD!

Keep 'em comin

Peter

On 7/17/2018 at 5:14 PM, Uilleann said:

I need this on a shirt - perfectly describes my life!  If only a spot of super smooth red paint would fix it all...  ;)

Thanks for keeping on w this build Bri - it's E-P-I-C!  :D

B~

Thanks B!  That could sum up a LARGE portion of this build so far. :lol:    Getting to my own acceptable level of touch-ups is proving allusive. 

On 7/17/2018 at 5:29 PM, Peterpools said:

Brian

Brilliant work and what a comeback!  Can't wait to see the Extra with the touch ups done. And you really are that GOOD!

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! Im not that good actually as evident by the fact that had the NATs not been coming up, this one may have been thrown against a wall. However, that in and of itself is a good thing, since wanting to get it done for the Nationals basically saved the model. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:30 PM, Gazzas said:

Brian,

That looks stellar!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  Im hoping it gets even better........................

17 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Amazing result buddy!  Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted on this little beauty!

Thanks Anthony! If I didnt keep up on the LSP thread the motivation for this build may have gone out the window (along with the model itself) loooooooong ago. 

12 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Brian..

Brilliant and TOP NOTCH.:clap2:

turned out real pretty.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Maru!  Im liking the direction its finally heading. 

5 hours ago, Madmax said:

Go Brian Go!

The Extra looks surprisingly small when viewed "in hand", which makes the ambitious nature of the masking quite apparent.  It is looking fantastic.

Thanks Max! Its not only surprising, but astounding how small it actually is in person.

I keep flashing back to this pic I took when I started the project, on top of my SU-30 in the same scale:

2017-01-05%2021.56.56-XL.jpg

12 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

On 7/19/2018 at 8:10 AM, DonH said:

OMG, that is an awesome paint job and a great result for straight out of the paint shop. Good luck with the touch ups, this is going to look amazing when it's finished.

Thanks Don, very kind of you!  Im hoping its amazing looking when done, as anything less ATM will have not been worth all this freakin hassle.  :lol:  

Tonight IS the night.................

Ive got the prop repainted and nearly complete, all it needs is a good color sanding, some decals, then a semi-gloss coat and assembly using my EVER so handy PropMaster jig.

I also have nearly finished the canopy as it now has its name decals applied, as well as a gloss coat, and just needs the internal handle to be glued in, then a good polishing with some NOVA polish.  Im waiting to take pics of it when I have the prop completed to show I actually have completed something

Tonight is ALSO the night I will be finishing the blue touch-up masking and re-shooting the blue to correct some initial mistakes, misalignment's and some over-spray.      After I get the blue done tonight, I hope to unmask it all tomorrow so I can start on the final "local" touch-ups. I say local as this will hopefully be the final touch-up to any colors that need a final once-over for any tiny leaks or bleeding. 

Once I get this BLASTED paint scheme squared away,  then color sanded overall for smoothness, I can apply a clear, then decals and then a final overall clear to seal in the decals . Once the clear is done on the airframe, its final assembly time!    The only things that need figuring out still, are the flat fabric canopy catch piece of material that prevents the canopy from opening too far, and finally the tail wheel details.

The tail wheel is really the only big question left on how I will handle it, and how much detail will go into it.

Im waiting to take more pics till I have something to show, like a finished canopy and finished prop. At least its something finished!

Pics soon I promise!

Thanks all!

HO-LEE-CRUP!   I now have  ONE WEEK and couple days to finish this model!!!!!     I know I keep saying Im going to post some pics, but  Ive been spending 2 to 8 hours a night on this thing, and honestly, I just havnt had time to take pics, its been ALL business and work on the model itself.

Last night I finished the final spot/local touch-ups on the blue, and got the prop finished up including declas to the point of assembly which should happen tonight. I also finished up the canopy save giving it a good polishing up, and still have yet to glue on the internal handle. 

Next tonight I will start on the final red touch-ups. Im hoping if I hit things hard tonight I can finish the red color in the next couple days, then it will be a matter of fixing the white, then a clear coat. I hope to have the clear on before the weekend. IF I can do that, I can get the decals finished off over the weekend and can possibly start tackling the two major detail areas left to go and those are the rudder control rods/tail wheel details, and the wingtip attitude  indicators. Both of these will take a bit of engineering and scratch building on my part, so I think I may even start the wingtip attitude indicators tonight.   

Thanks from a fellow B-ri!     Ok this one is down to crunch time boys. Ive got exactly 1 week and NO days to finish this thing off.  I have a semi-accurate "left to-do" list going on the Extra, but I know for sure I probably left some things off, and there is not a whole lot crossed off the list:

- Sand gouge in starboard wing smooth

- Blue touchups for starboard gauge?

- Mask off and shoot aluminum paint on forward edge wing-tip

- Build wing tip attitude indicators

- Finish sand and paint wing tip indicators

- Fix red forward stripes

- Red touchups

- Assemble/finish prop

- White touchups

- Color sand finished scheme prior to gloss coat

- Gloss clear

- Decals

- Final gloss clear coat

- paint inner cockpit opening liner black

- Fix/re - paint exhaust w/foil area

- finish wheels

- attach rudder

- Paint tail wheel

- make custom tail wheel assembly

- paint tail wheel assembly

- make custom rudder push rods w/tie rod ends

- polish canopy inside and out

- add handle to inside of canopy

- make and attach canopy restraint strap

- mount wheels and wheel pants

- Glue on aileron counter balancers

- Glue on ailerons 

- Glue on wing tip attitude indicators.

- Spine antenna?

- Belly antenna?

I know I keep posting updates w/no pics in them, but every time I get down to the bench to hit this thing hard, I get into work mode and dont seem to have time to take pics. :( I did manage to snap a pic of the almost assembled (at the time, its now fully glued together) prop using my PropMaster prop jig:

20180723_203936-XL.jpg

I know its not much, but Im in full flank speed ahead mode!     Im back on the little Extra today, and have now finished the blue touch-ups (for as much as they will ever be finished)  and have nearly finished the red, only needing to finish fixing the red stripes on the fuselage.

Then its onto the white touch-ups, then gloss.  Once the gloss/decals/gloss is down, I can concentrate on assembly. 

Cheers!