Out2gtcha

And now drum roll please...................BLUE PAINT! This blue is the Subaru STI metallic blue from MRP, and it comes off much lighter in these pics than it actually is. Jeffs mount is actually tad darker blue, but not as much as these pics lead on.

I actually like the MRP Subaru blue on here, as it just looks different when looked at straight on in the light. It appears much lighter and more metallic. However the paint is all down now on the main airframe. The paint also appears much more grainy in pics than it actually is IRL, and I can only attribute that to the metallic particles/nature of the paint itself. This is raw out of the paint shop, and will all get smoothed, color sanded, buffed then cleared eventually (after the touch-up stage):

20180713_132522

20180713_132606

20180713_132615

I forget to snap a pic of the flying surfaces and wheel pants after painting, but sacrifice it to say they look like this same blue. Just as, if not more important was the clear canopy, which I had glued on some hinges and then masked the clear sections off of both in and out:

20180713_145825

20180713_145822

I also got the majority of the prop blades painted too, with only 1 needing touch-up in one red area. Once hardened off, I will mask the red/black areas off, then spray the aluminum color, then color sand and clear these as well:

20180713_110149

I will let all of this harden off for 24 hours + , then unmask things and see how bad it is. I will then start the arduous task of touch-ups on such a complex scheme as this. The end goal is to get all the touch-ups done, then color sand the whole thing with 6000, 8000, 12000 polishing pads, then MRP super clear.

Thanks for looking in on me! 

Thanks one and all........................we have (to the degree I had hoped anyway) SUCCESS!! 

Again, the blue looks a lot lighter and brighter under my photo booth lights than it actually is, but the blue is a tad lighter still than Jeffs real planes blue is, but hey-ho, at this point with all of the potential spots to lift a mask, peel a corner, bleed or otherwise get over-spray, Ill take this result as a starting point for sure

20180714_153716

20180714_153725

20180714_153734

20180714_153751

20180714_153824

It is a great base to start the touchup process, and I know I keep harping that point, but I guess with this scheme I anticipated 3 color airbrush touch up stage that will likely entail touching up all 3 colors by airbrush. It will take an extra bit of time but will be worth it in the end.

Although the blue did turn out decent, as I had predicted, this thing will now need a lot of touch-up paint work for the blue, red and white. This is raw out of the paint booth, but you can see there are a lot of areas of over-spray, paint bleed and general paint scheme misalignment.................

MORE.................................

There are some spots that are going to need a lot of work.......................

I got the red right (will need over-spray correction), but must have had the elevator off position when I did the blue:

20180714_153806

Lots of areas like the vertical stab to rudder area that will need over-spray touchups:

20180714_153803

The rear turtle deck, especially the starboard side is going to need some attention to correct the blue point and the red and blue transition areas at the back overall:

20180714_153903

The gear, wing root, forward fuselage stripes and especially wheel pant on the starboard side will all have to be fixed, as they are some of the worst areas on the paint job right out of the booth:

20180714_153846

The bottom had similar opportunities for leaking, bleeding and over-spray, but still turned out pretty decent:

20180714_153937

20180714_153951

20180714_165823

Overall, Im very happy at this stage, and feel like Im getting some actual progress made. There is still a POSTERIOR load of things to fix on the paint now, but at this stage with everything that has happened Ill take it.

Cheers for now!