Out2gtcha

Thanks Shawn. That's exactly what (keep at it) I intend on doing!

This will not stop me at this point when I'm so close to the cool parts. Hopefully I'll be able to limit the sanding damage on the cowl by masking around it, and hitting it with 600 grit on up.

Will hopefully have it fixed before the weekend.

Beautiful work Brian.  This is quite similar but more detailed than my AirShow Models Extra 300 and 300L ..particularly that Lycoming 540.  Being a wrench twister from away back,..the tube structure and the pitch and mixture controls are really oversized...But all of it looks great! 

I'm not building models any more due to loss of vision but I still enjoy trying to see work like yours.

Barney

• 3 weeks later...

Use a hair dryer before taking the mask down.

Florin

Well that sucks Brian regarding the self inflicted dent! You go from euphoria to oh s**t in no time flat.

Good thing it's a small plane otherwise you'd be buying shares in masking tape manufacturers!

She's going' t' be a beauty.

Cheers,

Wolf

Now that is not even funny, cool looking scheme though Brian.

Regards. Andy

a man of your caliber will sort that no problem, shes looking ACE

Beautiful work Brian.  This is quite similar but more detailed than my AirShow Models Extra 300 and 300L ..particularly that Lycoming 540.  Being a wrench twister from away back,..the tube structure and the pitch and mixture controls are really oversized...But all of it looks great! 

I'm not building models any more due to loss of vision but I still enjoy trying to see work like yours.

Barney

Florin, Wolf, Andy, Mark and Barney, thanks very much for the ever so kind words.  I have been secretly working on the Extra for days and days now..........................JUST on the @#$*ing dent alone!

I have to say, Ive not encountered ANYTHING like this before, and I hope I never do again.  Its been KILLING me. Well and truly.............

Now I am at the point where I have filled and sanded, filled some more, sanded some more and each and every single time I did, I would end up punching through the ultra thin cowl. I used every conceivable type of filler Ive ever even contemplated using  too, including CA, milliput, MR Surfacer and the area is just SO thin that every time I touched it with a sanding pad, paper or other sanding tool, it just deformed and squished around.  Here is about attempt number 10 or so:

20180513_114659-XL.jpg

The area that happened to get dented in just so happened to be one of the thinnest areas on the entire model; SO thin in fact that just touching that area felt like pushing down on a spongy soft piece of resin flash that you may normally find inside of another part:

20180513_114705-XL.jpg

20180513_114710-XL.jpg

I'm afraid all my previous hard work on this model is for not. This is it for me on this model, it has officially defeated me.  :(  I'm not going to smash the little thing or anything but Im putting this one away on the SOD indefinitely. I just cant go on filling and sanding on this thing indefinitely, and its going to take WAY more work (cutting off the cowl, removing it and applying a stiffening plate with glue to the upper cowl to have some material to back it for sanding) than I am willing to do at  what was, the 11th hour of the build.

Sorry to disappoint folks, but its plain and simply not in me to continue.  Ive really not ever had a kit defeat me like this, but it is what it is, and Im going to move onto something simpler in IM that I can knock out for a modeling win and get some much needed MoJo back.

Apologies and cheers till I start the next adventure,

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Sometimes it's better to walk away and stop frustrating yourself. It's a hobby that you are suppose to enjoy and not wind up with a constant headache from banging your head against the wall. Just box up the kit, move on to a build that will go smoothly and be enjoyable. Some day when the mood strikes, you may want to open the box, look inside and close it up again

Peter

Thanks gents

Have you considered gluing a piece of relatively thin plastic card over the area, then sanding it flush?

The problem is that there is really nothing to blend into...............the top of the cowl is SO thin that any attempt at blending any filler or card stock in just results in a bump in that area until I sand it down close to flush, then the thin resin takes over and deforms anytime I hit it with any sanding material.
And to compound that, I have now put so much primer on to try to blend that area, that now I have paint lips around the red I just painted and in some odd areas where there will be only white. Its a hell of a thing.

Honestly, the only real way I can see to fix this is to remove the cowl, and glue in a thick piece of styrene from the underside above the engine, and then flood it with epoxy or CA to enable me to actually sand things flush without the whole cowl distorting.

can you pour some liquid resin into the cowling to thicken that spot up from the inside?

I thought about that, and even poring some thinned epoxy in there, but there is virtually no room between the forward front engine cylinders and the cheek cowl openings, so it would be all over the visible engine cylinders before it would ever even get to the dent, which unfortunately is toward the side/back of the cowl, right above one of the most cramped areas in the engine compartment (right above where the cylinders rest. 

I think it's a good idea to walk away. Sounds superstitious but some projects I've had do get "possessed' and suck up all my good energy. My simple explanation (to me) is there is something I actually do not love about the project and work to advance it is simply low mojo and then low quality.  I once build a quarter scale horse and knight and it was really fun but the horse's anatomy was flawed, the rider sat on it funny then the suit of armor detail work just started to degrade and degrade. I had to toss pride aside and do the SOD thing. I never take success for granted. It's almost a gift.