AIMS Me 262 A-1a/U3 conversion

Pastor John

Ok fuselage halves together so it is time to start panicking! O help. Pipes wires and linkages in that order I think. I decided to open up a few hatches before fuselage went together - PE hatches included on revised PE set available soon

20151221_152815_zpsjampl4di.jpg20151221_153008_zpsd8mp2xls.jpg

Edited by Pastor John

Just noticed that you've not filled-in the silly canopy notches on the right side cockpit sill. Those are just the kit's attempt at an awful attchement point for the canopy. The real thing pivots from the fore and aft canopy segments (if you remember the ancient Revell 1/32 Me109 with opening canopy, that's how it works) . Crazy-good wiring on the cockput tub. I only did that once in my various builds (no one is going to see it/can't afford the time to do it) but I totally understand the desire to do it. Going to carve out the rear fuel fills too? If so, remember there is a fill point just to the left and aft of the rear of the canopy fairing, not marked on the kit.

Edited by stevegallacci

Yes i had not spotted the sill issue until I put fuselage together yesterday and I have yet got round to correcting any external faults - i need to sand off those external fuel tank points. I will have to just scribe no fuel hatches at the back of canopy because i had not planned to open them and so did not add the kit parts to top of rear tanks - drat

Looks terrific John. Really great work.

BTW my approach to the wiring and plumbing was a waste of time and just got in the way during painting - 90% of what you see could have been added post painting.

... and that's when you know you're a real modeller, because you just sunk a huge amount of time into something on the basis of a theory that you had, and it turned out to be unnecessary. And at the same time you still know it was kind of awesome and hardcore to do it that way, even if next time you'll do it differently ;)

Love it.

Jim

John, your 262 fuselage looks definitely fantastic, take care, it might even be able to fly away.

Re the plumbing, you know that as a manufacturing simplification (Fertigungsvereinfachung) the colours where reduced to colour stripes on pure metal.

As the dedicated one and only LSP recce Experte you added Bildfolgeregler and similar equipment to the cockpit. Could you show us these instruments?

Good luck for your Bild-262 project!

And Merry Christmas!

Martin

John, your 262 fuselage looks definitely fantastic, take care, it might even be able to fly away.

Re the plumbing, you know that as a manufacturing simplification (Fertigungsvereinfachung) the colours where reduced to colour stripes on pure metal.

As the dedicated one and only LSP recce Experte you added Bildfolgeregler and similar equipment to the cockpit. Could you show us these instruments?

Good luck for your Bild-262 project!

And Merry Christmas!

Martin

Just noticed there are extra doohickies on the lower instrument panel, presumably recce controls? I'd like to see them too.

Hi guys and thanks for kind comments. Well got the wing on and noticed to my horror the ugly gaps fore and aft of the gear cut out in the wing. When Eduard designed they PE wall to surround this cut out all they had to do was extend it both ways to box in neatly the entire area but no. Anyway I can talk - stupid me had decided to thin out plastic around opening of gear bay without thinking how this would effect other kit parts or PE parts! The result even more horrible gaps!

20151222_183506_zpslfqlcgva.jpg20151222_183458_zpsrwnwnyib.jpg

Well i have made a half decent job of dressing the gaps made by both Trumpeter and myself and finished off links, and plumbing. After these little bits have been painted I must say goodbye to this area of the model - I hope my PE set arrives soon so I can detail the engines but I have front and main gear and nose gear bay to wire up so plenty to do.

I wish I had scratch built new front linkage as the kits over scaled part is bugging me but it will stay put now - I built that part before borrowing references. I also wish I had deleted the wings rear gear bay wall so that there is a hollow behind cut outs in PE part!

20151223_103426_zpsspjzvpm2.jpg20151223_103401_zpsddklo6sd.jpg20151223_103532_zps88tnk75s.jpg

Edited by Pastor John