1/32 Revell P-38 Lightning

ChrisS

Very well done Chis! After seeing yours andChucks builds, l feel llike putting mine in the closet and shutting the door!....Harv

Harv...please dont! Lets feed the lightning landslide here until it becomes an unofficial group build :)

OK, let me know if you run up against some further parts that don't fit. The only Revell P-38 kit I have left is the droop snout pathfinder version, so I won't be using any early version parts. I ended up getting the CE early conversion for the Trumpy kit as I saw it would be a problem making the Revell version fit. I think it is worse going from Revell to Trumpy with everything too small. That was before JR re-mastered his for Grey Matter for the Trumpy. 

For one, I will check to see what I have for early P-38 vac canopies as I don't remember for sure, but I thought the Revell conversion came with one (though  might need it for my CE conversion). Anyway, I will let you know.

Thanks again Ray. I think I'm all set for this build as far as parts go, save the canopy issue, but again, that may not arise at all if I'm successful with the first shot.

• 2 months later...

Long delay here, pesky "real" life ya'know.

My 11 yr old son and I are planning to take his 1/32 Ho229 and this Lightning to the next "Valley Con" in LA, CA. So we've been on the bench more than I've been snapping images. Here's a bunch...

Removed some material to accommodate the Rutman/Grey Matter vac windscreen and front decking. Some pit detail can be seen here too.

f9L9kwq.jpg?1

Drilled out the nav lights for MV lenses

XPzJMRP.jpg?1

The seat and wine foil harness.

t4LQKyq.jpg?1

Main gear bay floor on the Revell kit is non-existant (lower pic) I made one from card and 1/2 of the nose-wheel inverted and applied to the floor.

MniNyFt.jpg?2

z6HSJQ9.jpg?1

Gunsight scratched from various parts, card and an MV lens

IreEBWJ.jpg?1

I'm using an iPhone to take these, sorry about that. I'll switch it up and use a real camera and take some more in the next couple of days. There's a lot of progress I have not shown.

Thanks for checking in!

Thanks again Ray. I think I'm all set for this build as far as parts go, save the canopy issue, but again, that may not arise at all if I'm successful with the first shot.

Ray: Any chance you have that vac canopy laying about? My current solution is working, but I have no spare in case of disaster. Let me know if you find it, and if you'd like anything in trade if so.

Cheers~

Ray: Any chance you have that vac canopy laying about? My current solution is working, but I have no spare in case of disaster. Let me know if you find it, and if you'd like anything in trade if so.

Cheers~

I'll check. Forgot all about it. PM me if you don't hear back soon.

Work is looking good!

Well, I checked my stash. Unfortunately, between TWO early P-38 conversions it appears I only have ONE canopy and ONE windscreen! So not only do I not have an extra to send you, I am going to be really nervous myself when I get around to doing my own!