1/32 Revell P-38 Lightning

ChrisS

Well look who the cat dragged in!

It's been a while, but I'm finally back to share a build here again.

I'm starting an Old Revell P-38 Lightning, going to back date it to a F/G or H depending on the scheme I pick. Ray is kindly sending me a couple of schemes and I grabbed a copy of the Kagero decals, so I'll have 3 to choose from! Thanks Ray!

Here's what I'm starting with (got most of this in a sweet trade with our own D Bellis, thanks D!!)

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

I love it...cockpit "improgments"...everyone needs some of those from time to time :)

IMG_5267.JPG

I'll post the decals after I get further down the road. Thanks for watching~

Started with getting the wings together. Plan is to re-scribe all detail so first up is "erasing" all the raised stuff to expose just the primary shape and flight controls.

Yeah, that's 80 grit there friends...we are REMOVING MATERIAL!! Grrrrrr :punk:

IMG_5268.JPG

Then cutting out the Revell Turbo-Superchargers to mount the Rutman-patterned pieces.

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

A couple of nights left of this then it's on to the cockpit to get that finished so I can mount it in the center fuselage and get to work on rescribing the entire section.

Really cool to see somebody building this nice old kit!!!   I have found a shortcut for some of the scribing. Before you sand the raised detail,check to see if the panel lines are accurate and you want to use them. Then use those raised panel lines to start your scribe. You will have to start lightly but I found in the long run it saves time.

Just sayin'.

J

Thanks Jerry,

Yup, had this exact same revelation right after I started sanding :mental:

I'll do that for the rest of the ship for sure. Strange thing is that the detail is still visible even after I've sanded it off...have you ever seen that? Weird.

I'm speaking from experience here... sand it all away, spray some grey primer down and when dry, using tamiya tape draft all the panel lines on and then use dymo tape to get started... For the more intricate lines use old beer/soda can aluminum templates. I have a completely sanded and rescribbed Revell P-38 waiting to get finished somewhere in my stash of started kits...

Cheers

Alan

Awesome, Chris! I have one of these early Revell conversions planned soon as well, along with my Trumpy L model already underway. Having done the complete re-scribe of a Revell kit some years ago for a Yippee model, I can appreciate the work you are biting off! Good luck to you!

Tim

Really cool to see somebody building this nice old kit!!!   I have found a shortcut for some of the scribing. Before you sand the raised detail,check to see if the panel lines are accurate and you want to use them. Then use those raised panel lines to start your scribe. You will have to start lightly but I found in the long run it saves time.

Just sayin'.

J

Good call, Jerry! I did that on the Yippee, and it was rather helpful, though a few of them are not totally accurate, of course. I wasn't too worried about that when I did it, so pretty much used them all. There are quite a few of us doing Lightnings right now, glad to see it!

Just sayin'.

J

I worked on this kit using your back date set and used most of the same after market over the summer. I just started the describe process. It is a nice kit. Nice hack n whack factor. They show up for not much money here and there. Punishment for a mistake requiring another kit is not bad. I will watch with interest as this build unfolds. Take care keeping the booms straight by inserting the radiator assemblies into each half before gluing the halves together. I almost did this two times. Common sense maybe but not until I pass through no sense during a build.

Rick

Strange thing is that the detail is still visible even after I've sanded it off...have you ever seen that? Weird.

That is a strange thing that only happens with Silver plastic- I have sanded and polished silver plastic before, and the panel lines were visually very prominent, while not really being there at all.