Guest Martinnfb

И�требитель Белл P-39 ��рокобра, Kitty Hawk

What a great thread, please keep the wartime photos rolling they are great and add to the story, and the build is certainly taking shape, I don't think that I would be that brave though !

Cheers

Dennis

Guest Peterpools

Martin

Awesome start and I'm right with Wolf, finishing isn't an option. I'll be following for the entire journey

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Soviet air aces don't get the love and respect from the West that they should.

Btw, Martin, thanks for educating me on a subject I had only very limited knowledge of. In this small awareness of mine, I certainly did not think the P-39 was used as an air superiority fighter by the VVS.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

I'll be following this with interest. As much as I love the P-38 and P-47, I've always felt the P-39 got a bum rap. As I kid, I started reading about how the Soviets took a "lump of coal" and made it into a diamond. To me, the P-39 is more important to Soviet air superiority than any of their home grown birds.

Martin,

This is fantastic on several different levels. First and foremost, are your workmanship and willingness to tackle the issues. Also, it's great to see a few of these being built. After the multiple threads on this kit that really didn't bring much to the table (considering that 90% of the "discussion" was just bickering back and forth and nothing helpful being done about it), it's great to see actual solutions in progress. Even if it's something that may not strike me as significant, THAT is what I come here to see. I'm a "show me" kind of guy.  Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

As for the record of the P-39, I've also always been of the opinion that it got a bad rap in US service. I think the biggest problem that the USAAF had with it, especially early on, was directly related to tactics (and pilot experience was in favor of the IJA/IJN, as well). The same thing can be said of the P-40. If pilots in the south pacific had heeded the warnings and followed the tactical suggestions of Claire Chennault, from the beginning, things may have swung in their favor a lot faster than they did. It had the speed and firepower to defeat it's Japanese contemporaries, but those advantages weren't always used, or they weren't in a position to make them work.  That's just my take, anyway.

:popcorn:

John

Guest Clunkmeister

John, funny you say this, as it could also be transposed right into todays A.F.  (Unwillingness to accept the A-10, despite decades of combat experience and glowing reports all around).

The Western Powers seem to get stuck in their ruts. In WW2, they refused to look past the ends of their noses.

Nobody will state that a Bf-109 or Fw-190 were bad aircraft, actually, they will sing praises on them daily. Yet here we have a real lump taking on the best aircraft and pilots the Luftwaffe had, and WINNING.

Time for us to have a check up from the neck up.

It would be nice if one of you resin guys would bring out a "fix" for the kit's issues. I don't mind using a razor saw on the fuselage, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fill & sand with resin, putty, etc. And the intake also looks beyond my skill set.

So Derek, Gary, anyone listening? I would think that a simple ring would handle the fuselage length issue, and maybe a round thingy for the tail section. The intake is a piece of cake for your master casters.

Guest Martinnfb

Very Nice work so far Martin!  It's going to be a beautiful model when its done.  When I finally get my P-39, it will be done as one from just across the bearing strait stationed in Alaska USAAF.

All the best,

Paul 

Thank you Paul, I would like to see lots of Cobras in variety of markings on the contests tables and in the Gallery as well. Hopefully this build will inspire few guys to buy this kit and build them.

Very nice, Martin.

You have already answered the point in one of the linked threads in this WIP, but looking at pics (and they are difficult do draw conclusions from on this specific topic, I am the first to admit), but I still have a nagging doubt as to whether the Karman should have been included in the plug ... :hmmm:

Keep it coming ! :popcorn:

Hubert

Well, yes and no. The karman extension is slightly longer, about 2mm, but I am not going to worry about that in this build anymore, otherwise I would never finish,. :)

w01572_1802696.jpg

Nice stretch job Martin. I always like your threads, full of reference images. Are these pictures you keep on your computer, or do you just run a Google search?  You seem to have shots for every plane, must be quite a library.

Matt  :frantic:

Thank You Matt, I use to, but after My PC died and I switched to Mac I am just collecting links and rarely some prints .

Looking good Martin! Great start.

What is this, "Also, I may not finish at all"? Not finishing is not an option my friend! :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Nannana booboo.   :rofl:

Looking just great! Love the old pics!!

Cheers and keep going bro!

Alan

Thank You my Friend, I will try to not disappoint you. 

What a great thread, please keep the wartime photos rolling they are great and add to the story, and the build is certainly taking shape, I don't think that I would be that brave though !

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, just build it as is. It is very nice model well designed with a very few  hiccups along the way, a real gem.

Super start.  Great show.  Educational.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank You Sir, the pleasure is mine.

Martin

Awesome start and I'm right with Wolf, finishing isn't an option. I'll be following for the entire journey

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank You for the kind words Peter, you know it is not fully up to me, my time is all about my family , everything else is secondary, however I will make sure there will be some of that precious "Martin time" too :)

Soviet air aces don't get the love and respect from the West that they should.

Well, it is a result of the oppressive regime that denied a individual success, Pokrishkin was actually pressed very hard for being so successful on foreign /capitalistic plane, in matter of fact he refused a third hero of Soviet union (absolutely voluntarily of course) with that very explanation. How bizarre is that?

Btw, Martin, thanks for educating me on a subject I had only very limited knowledge of. In this small awareness of mine, I certainly did not think the P-39 was used as an air superiority fighter by the VVS.

Hubert

My pleasure Hubert, I am not an expert just trying to clarify few facts and bust some silly myths that were going around for a while.

Edited by Martinnfb

Guest Martinnfb

Annnoying!!!!!!!!! I can't  quote more posts that blah blah blah poor server , argh!

I'll be following this with interest. As much as I love the P-38 and P-47, I've always felt the P-39 got a bum rap. As I kid, I started reading about how the Soviets took a "lump of coal" and made it into a diamond. To me, the P-39 is more important to Soviet air superiority than any of their home grown birds.

It sure was , and many pilots had a hard time to explain that why when uncle Stalin said so and so...sickening and sad.

STUPENDOUS starty to your yummu Cobra Martin.

I like the black and white photos of the real WINGY thingy.... Makes your build more personal. .

:goodjob:

:clap2:

Thank you my Dear Friend.

Martin,

This is fantastic on several different levels. First and foremost, are your workmanship and willingness to tackle the issues. Also, it's great to see a few of these being built. After the multiple threads on this kit that really didn't bring much to the table (considering that 90% of the "discussion" was just bickering back and forth and nothing helpful being done about it), it's great to see actual solutions in progress. Even if it's something that may not strike me as significant, THAT is what I come here to see. I'm a "show me" kind of guy.  Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

As for the record of the P-39, I've also always been of the opinion that it got a bad rap in US service. I think the biggest problem that the USAAF had with it, especially early on, was directly related to tactics (and pilot experience was in favor of the IJA/IJN, as well). The same thing can be said of the P-40. If pilots in the south pacific had heeded the warnings and followed the tactical suggestions of Claire Chennault, from the beginning, things may have swung in their favor a lot faster than they did. It had the speed and firepower to defeat it's Japanese contemporaries, but those advantages weren't always used, or they weren't in a position to make them work.  That's just my take, anyway.

:popcorn:

John

You are absolutely right John it's a learning curve that sometimes it feels like a flat line

John, funny you say this, as it could also be transposed right into todays A.F.  (Unwillingness to accept the A-10, despite decades of combat experience and glowing reports all around).

The Western Powers seem to get stuck in their ruts. In WW2, they refused to look past the ends of their noses.

Nobody will state that a Bf-109 or Fw-190 were bad aircraft, actually, they will sing praises on them daily. Yet here we have a real lump taking on the best aircraft and pilots the Luftwaffe had, and WINNING.

Time for us to have a check up from the neck up.

VERY TRUE ERNIE, BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN , who is not willing to learn from mistakes made by his fathers, inevitably passes the same mistakes to his children.

It would be nice if one of you resin guys would bring out a "fix" for the kit's issues. I don't mind using a razor saw on the fuselage, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fill & sand with resin, putty, etc. And the intake also looks beyond my skill set.

So Derek, Gary, anyone listening? I would think that a simple ring would handle the fuselage length issue, and maybe a round thingy for the tail section. The intake is a piece of cake for your master casters.

I would say Roy (Barracuda studious), could you please magically create a set of tires , exhaust stacks, front wheel without covers and four bladed prop. THANK YOU !!!! :)

Thanks for the filler info, Martin.

You are welcome Damian, I am trying to make this build more interesting by adding some extra information, just in case anybody would be interested .