Revell Spitfire MK IIa

Totalize

Thanks RP. I will post a picture of my work on the harness. I got some spill over of white glue around  the PE/brass eyelets and it turned the paper a brownish colour. Just call me Mr. Hamfisted.

Dave.

Edited by Totalize

Yeah. I will have to make the best of it. Here's a picture. You can see some of it around the eyelets. I am not too worried about the top of the harness as  photoetch piece is suppose to go there and you won't really see it once its in the cockpit. Not sure if the white glue I used had some issue either. I didn't use Elmers. Damn.

20170405_162933x1000_zpsrlokynsb.jpg

Edited by Totalize

• 2 weeks later...

Well, guess what?

I seemed to have misplaced the rest of the seatbelt straps that came with RB productions set. I ordered another set but I thought I would take a stab at using flat lead strips. Fortunately, the set I have were the right width for the remaining harness pieces. The cool thing about this material is its sort of/kind of realistic in that the I can adjust the length of the straps. Anyway, I don't know if I am going to use them as I am not super confident I can match the colour with the original paper ones. Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

20170417_172746ax800_zpspqfujkpp.jpg

20170417_172708x800_zpsd2d0zzpj.jpg

Edited by Totalize

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys,

Back with another update. The cockpit is now complete and the fuselage halves are together.  I painted and weathered the harness by first spraying it with a gloss coat then painting it with a very thin layer Vallejo Model Color acrylics. After that I gave it a wash with oils.

I tried to scratch the bayonet mount that attaches to the rear of the harness. I still need to add the hanger cable. I have a single rod coming off the rear of the bayonet housing which may not be correct. I used the diagram from my spitfire book to make it.

I also decided to add the oxygen hose. I made this with copper wire wrapped around a pin vise bit, then bent it to shape and filled all the gaps with some automotive putty. While the putty was still wet I scraped off the excess to reveal the ridges of the hose. After drying I gave it a light sanding.

20170427_174329a600_zpsney6w3hr.jpg

20170427_182607a600_zpsttdkdq79.jpg

20170427_182748a600_zps6thxkgdo.jpg

20170427_180204a600_zps3cbqa1cz.jpg

20170427_182057a600_zpsie1fjbfu.jpg

The Diagram I used. The triangle front section I have hidden by the metal plate below the regulator.

sutton1_zps4rbkxbll.gif

Edited by Totalize

I am about to put on the domed rivets for the aircraft using the Archer set. The Tamiya "How to" build the Revell Spitfire has the domed rivets going past the cockpit to the front of the fuselage above the wing root. In looking at some pictures on line and this does not look correct. It seems all the rivets from the cockpit forward were flush?  Any input would be much appreciated.

L1000296_zpsoifeewvf.jpg

Edited by Totalize

I am not a Spitfire expert, and even less the late Edgar, but my understanding is that the flushed rivets were ahead of the cockpit, and the domed ones behind.

(In kit form, the best surface detail is still probably the 1969 Revell Mk. 1 kit)

Hubert

Yup - domed only from rear of cockpit back (frame 11) - as per that photo.

Iain

... although Supermarine did build a fully flush riveted Spitfire, on which they conducted aerodynamic experiments using split peas glued on to simulate domed rivets.

Presumably not removing them one at a time....

That's how they discovered that aft of frame 11, the cheaper and quicker to manufacture domed rivets made little difference to top speeds.