Revell Spitfire MK IIa

Totalize

Just finished the final painting of the fuselage but don't have any pictures as yet. While I was going back and forth waiting for either the RAF Dark Green or Dark Earth to dry/cure before spraying the alternating color I decided to get the Rotol Pro done up. 

Here's the results, the Spinner for this particular Spitfire II was done in Sky Blue and it also had a Sky blue band on the the rear fuselage.It was from No. 41 Squadron RAF that had some Canadian pilots in its ranks.My Spitfire is going to represent a late spring early summer 1941 MKII.

Props were done in Lacquer paint while the Spinner was done in LifeColor Sky blue. Frankly, I like the LifeColor paints. For acrylics they give nice coverage if mixed properly, similar to the Gunze acryls.

Sorry for the different hues of blue in the background. Taken with my Iphone at different heights. Looks like its a bit better to take them farther away and crop. The second picture was done this way.

IMG_0066a700_zpsxioazvmx.jpg

FullSizeRendera700_zpsaajkhts2.jpg

IMG_0068a700_zpskn3mmc0v.jpg

Edited by Totalize

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Back with another update. Well in talking with a few Spitfire aficionados I learned that the X-tra Decal suggestions of Sky Blue for the spinner and tail band for this unit's is probably not correct. So, I mad a quick adjustment and painted the spinner is the standard Sky-S which was the factory colour at the time.  Everything is just base coated for now, no weathering.

IMG_0100a700_zpsivljzakb.jpg

IMG_0101a700_zpsrsnczvxk.jpg

Nice work, I wish DoC still made that spinner.

It's perfect for a Mk I Hurricane. :doh: <_<

Really?They don't make it anymore? Too bad. It's a nice prop and a great price compared to the other resin versions out there.

Discovered a problem with the rudder after it was painted and glued to the tail. Don't know what Revell was thinking here but damn.

Here's what I am talking about.

rudder2x7000_zpszxijnq6t.jpg

Period photo of a Spitfire. Note the lack of any tab on the tail section.

36088926576_24bae81269_z.jpg

The kit part and my initial fix with a piece of sprue from one of the sprue trees in the kit. Next I will fill, sand, shape and prime before re-painting. Stay tuned.

35738301620_d5ea93daf9_b.jpg

IMG_0Zruddder_zpsornxvti8.jpg

Edited by Totalize

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Back with another update. Sorry it took so long. A thing called life seemed to have creeped its way into my bench time. Oh well.

Anyway, I have been working on the landing gear and now have gotten to the point where I am pleased enough with them to add them to the build. The gear legs are White metal which I used in place of the kits ones as I buggered those up. They are the SAC parts which are more of less carbon copies of the kit parts but in white metal. The wheels are from Barracuda studios. 

You will notice the break lines are slightly below the base of the landing gear cover. I wasn't sure how these were positioned but after looking at a number of references both period and of restored Spits they typically have this break line just slightly below the landing gear cover so I bent the copper wire I used to replicate that. I used stretched sprue for the break lines above the brass hydraulic connector.

IMG_0461a700_zpskpkmddcv.jpg

IMG_0465a600_zpsmdltxeos.jpg

IMG_0470a700_zpsv7w0xy5v.jpg

Edited by Totalize

• 1 month later...

Okay, here's another update. Getting the markings on.

So, I chose to depict an RAF 41 Squadron MKII EB-J, P8044 in the spring/summer 1941. I used Maketar masks for the roundels and stuck with decals everywhere else. As I understand this a/c was donated to 41 squadron by the 1st Canadian Infantry Division hence the markings on the side. It does not represent a pilot's particular aircraft so I took the liberty of adding 4 kill markings in the style that was often seen on 41 Squadron aircraft i.e Erick Lock (top scoring ace in the BOB) and others in the squadron. One thing I forgot to mention is that I removed the Barracuda Studios resin ailerons which I had initially put on. These are the fabric type and were more commonly seen on the MKI's. MKII's typically (but not all as I understand) had the newer metal ailerons. The kit parts are the metal type and so more correct.  The canopy glass pieces are just dry fitted in the pictures.

The masks are excellent best I have used but I am doubtful they can be used many times over as Maketar claims. A few times yes but many certainly not in my case. Perhaps I am just to clumsy.

Red Circles. Added the IFF anchors on the edges of the stabilizers using rod and plastic card as well as removing the antenna cone. By this time MKIIa's had the TR1133 radio on board in which the complete antenna was housed in the mast. So no need for an antenna wire from the mast to the tail.I just clipped off the cone and added a triangular piece of plastic card as some MKII's retained this attachment on the rudder even after the new radio was installed at the factory.

IMG_0535a800_zpsrlkmljxb.jpg

IMG_0533x800_zpsvim0tsbw.jpg

Edited by Totalize