Tamiya's next 1:32 release will be....(your bet goes here)

is it windy yet?

Everyone keeps saying that....................but Im not so sure.  I see a lot of Tamiya reference to the F4U-1.....................and to the F4U-1a..............................and even to the F4U-4......................just not much for the D.   I could be totally wrong, but Im predicting for  whatever reason, they skip right over it and we get a -4.

Carnac says P-47 / F4U-4

Carnac-259x300.jpg

There will be an F4U-1D.

I'm unwilling to go for Trumpeter kits. So I'd welcome a P-47 razorback or P-38. Also very welcome would be a Hellcat or Hurricane of any kind. I'm also OK with an Fw190 or Bf109, because Tamiya doesn't have anything german in their lineup yet, and I'm sure they'd be the best of their type and scale on the market. I have a few of the late model 109s from revell and hasegawa, but with so many wonderful marking and paint options available, i'd jump at the chance to grab a few more if tamiya offered some.

I'm unwilling to go for Trumpeter kits. So I'd welcome a P-47 razorback or P-38. Also very welcome would be a Hellcat or Hurricane of any kind. I'm also OK with an Fw190 or Bf109, because Tamiya doesn't have anything german in their lineup yet, and I'm sure they'd be the best of their type and scale on the market. I have a few of the late model 109s from revell and hasegawa, but with so many wonderful marking and paint options available, i'd jump at the chance to grab a few more if tamiya offered some.

Why do you avoid Trumpeter kits?

Admittedly, they are of variable quality, but their 1/32 Avenger, for example, is bloody superb.

Have to say - I've built late model 109s from Revell, Hasegawa and Trumpeter...and they're all about the same. Each has its strengths and its just staggering, forehead-smacking weaknesses. Amazingly - all of those areas manage to be almost entirely unique from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's quite impressive, really.

Have to say - I've built late model 109s from Revell, Hasegawa and Trumpeter...and they're all about the same. Each has its strengths and its just staggering, forehead-smacking weaknesses. Amazingly - all of those areas manage to be almost entirely unique from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's quite impressive, really.

All the more reason to hope for one from Tamiya later on.

Admittedly, they are of variable quality, but their 1/32 Avenger, for example, is bloody superb.

I'm honestly aware that some of their kits are better than others and that the Avenger and Dauntless enjoy pretty good reputations. And I may yet buy those one day.

And I actually have a lot of their 1/48 kits (Whirlwind, Sea Fury, Wellington, Fw200, Mig-3, etc) since they aren't available really from other manufacturers and I'm more forgiving of flaws in cheaper 1/48 kits than I am of flaws in pricy 1/32 kits.

I even own a few 1/32s... a Wildcat, a Corsair, and the P-38 and P-40.

And I just have to say, I am not a super critical accuracy-hound by any means, but even I can see major issues with a number of the Trumpeter kits. The Hellcat just looks too fat, the windscreen on the P-51 just looks really weird, the gear doors are wrongly shaped on my Corsair, and so on and so on. So I just don't have a lot of faith in Trumpeter as a brand, and I'm not really fond of their heavy handed surface detailing on a lot of their kits.

Trumpeter just seems to lack a certain finesse that a lot of other manufacturers have. And even with their kits that are OK, I'm always left with the nagging feeling that someone else could do it better. If it was some obscure aircraft, I could perhaps be OK with a middle of the road trumpeter kit. But for really important aircraft that I'm fond of, like the Hellcat, P-38, P-47 Razorback & etc.... I'm not happy with a ho-hum kit. I want a GREAT kit. I have no doubt that any number of companies... Tamiya, Hasegawa, ZM, HK, Eduard and even Revell and KH could probably do a better rendition of these subjects if they put their minds to it.

If I was told with absolute certainty that no one else would ever do another 1/32 P-38 or Hellcat or P-47 Razorback EVER, maybe I'd content myself with the Trumpeter kits. But while there's a chance someone else will do them, I prefer to wait.

... As are their Swordfish kits (both), Me.262 kits ... their P.38 Lightning and at least one or two others that don't spring to mind as I type. Their P.47s and Bf.109's aren't so awful either - just as many mistakes as other competitors ... I think it's just misconception hyped to the max that yields so much prejudice toward Trumpeter ... At any rate - they appear to have slowed down on the new 1/32 kit releases.

... Yep ... that's about right ... While building the three 109G's side-by-side - that was the most interesting note I made. At least you can't accuse one manufacturer of copying another!! The closest I can get to perfection on a 109G (6 or Erla 10) series is the Revell kit with Amur Reaver corrections ... and that's only because Revell was used as the 'base' kit for the correction moulds.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69