Tamiya's next 1:32 release will be....(your bet goes here)

is it windy yet?

Don't know about you lot but I've already got too much in my 'must build' pile - including most of the current Tamiya range - to worry about what's next!!

Why is it modellers are never happy with what we've already got?  ;)

Iain

For the same reason that, when you're on a long car trip, the kids in the back seat keep asking "Are we there yet??"!

Don't care much. Whatever it is it will be splendid. If it is a Brit subject then I will be more interested than otherwise, but I still haven't bought any of their Spitfire kits, and the Mossie I have was a gift!! I really do have too many kits already!

Tim

Interesting conversation guys.

I will be very disappointed if they come out with anything that has been over kitted before. We already have enough 109's and 190's out there and honestly, they have been done to death.

I really hope that they don't do a Hurricane, yes it would be nice but Fly is about to release one and anything that could affect sales of the smaller guys who are willing to give it a go is a bad thing IMO. I imagine that if Tamiya announced something that had just been released by a smaller company, then sales would dry up and then the smaller company would have less encouragement to give us new releases.

Many of the subject requests that are being put here like the P-38 and P-47's have already been done by Trumpeter. There is nothing in a Trumpeter kit that can't be fixed with some average modelling skills. I do also hope that Tamiya stay away from these subjects!

It is time for a manufacturer to kit a modern operational fighter. The F-22 would fit the criteria nicely and I think would sell reasonably well. Imagine being able to display it along side a ww1 fighter to illustrate how far combat aircraft have come or put it in a cabinet full of aircraft of different eras to display a lineage of old to new?

Eric

There is nothing in a Trumpeter kit that can't be fixed with some average modelling skills. I do also hope that Tamiya stay away from these subjects!

Eric

In some cases that is so not true. Their P-51B is not fixable not mater what you do (I've tried) and the Corsair's wings and fuse are the only usable bits (Again I've tried), the P-40 doesn't even look like a P-40B (and again I've tried)

I will be very disappointed if they come out with anything that has been over kitted before. We already have enough 109's and 190's out there and honestly, they have been done to death.

I really hope that they don't do a Hurricane, yes it would be nice but Fly is about to release one and anything that could affect sales of the smaller guys who are willing to give it a go is a bad thing IMO. I imagine that if Tamiya announced something that had just been released by a smaller company, then sales would dry up and then the smaller company would have less encouragement to give us new releases.

Many of the subject requests that are being put here like the P-38 and P-47's have already been done by Trumpeter. There is nothing in a Trumpeter kit that can't be fixed with some average modelling skills. I do also hope that Tamiya stay away from these subjects!

It is time for a manufacturer to kit a modern operational fighter. The F-22 would fit the criteria nicely and I think would sell reasonably well. Imagine being able to display it along side a ww1 fighter to illustrate how far combat aircraft have come or put it in a cabinet full of aircraft of different eras to display a lineage of old to new?

Eric

Sorry but I have to disagree.  PCM remember did a short run Hurricane as well. Fly also build short-run kits and I am not saying that they are bad but like many others I prefer mainstream manufacturers.  I would  not buy Fly or PCM simply because I have been somewhat underwhelmed by other short-run models.

A Hurricane from Tamiya would be number 1 on my shopping list of a subject that is 'underkitted' in 1/32 by the mainstream manufacturers with only a 1970's Revell offering.

There is plenty of room for Fly, PMC and Tamiya for what is one of the most iconic aircraft of WW2.

Edited by BarryWilliams

Agreed, top rate and well worth the purchase!

The Fly Hurricane part test shot that I saw at Telford (Wings) were well within current expectations of any modeller and was unbelievable for a short run kit.

Anyone buying their new Wessex helo would not be disappointed either!

Recommended to anyone without reservation.  :thumbsup:

Another one recommending the FLY Wessex. Also anything but underwhelming.

In the very UNlikely event Tamiya are doing another 1/32 jet, the most likely contender would be the F-35, now in production at Nagoya for the JASDF.

I still think a new tool 1/32 subject for 2017 is likely the first of two P-47s, but I'd also still (within the bounds of reasonable) prefer to see a Seiran, Suisen or Type 32 -or- (within the boundaries of not impossible) a Beaufighter.

Tony

Problem fixed

Edited by Tony T

Learning a lot of things from this thread, actually.

1. Even if you clearly state the intention in the OP, it will be way off track by the end of page one. So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em (or something like that?), I guess.

2. Bf 109s have been "done to death", there shouldn't be any more of them put into kit form. However, I can't name a single injection molded kit of any 109 predating the 109E. The same can be said for the P-38 F, G, H and M.

3. F-22? Well, to quote one of the favorite sayings on so many popular subjects, "Yawn" (and that's why it probably won't be the next kit, but that shouldn't hurt too bad, I guess, because anyone with average modeling skills should be able to work with the 1/32 kit that already exists, right?). But, if it's what somebody wants, more power to them and maybe their wish will come true. I actually hope it does. I also hope to win the Powerball lottery, for world peace and even one presidential candidate that was worth voting for....ever. Sorry for getting derailed there. I forgot that this was about what I would "bet" on Tamiya releasing next. It isn't an F-22.

4. We will never be completely satisfied....ever.

5. We are all far too passionate on this subject (myself included), especially when the majority of whatever they decide to release next will probably be sold off in estate sales, or the like, after we're all dead, rather than being built!

:)

John

Sorry but I have to disagree.  

I agree 100% as well and very much have to disagree with that.

I purchased  the Trumpy razorback and sold it the VERY next week.  I  was VERY anxious to get kit, as people kept saying how great it was, and I believed them................right up until I opened the box and compared it to the Hasegawa P-47 nose and forward fuse area.  

Im no expert, but I know what looks right and the Trumpy razorback did NOT look right at all in that area. The Has kit may have its issues, but the Trumpy cowl shape was WAY off to my eye, being very hoarse collar shaped, and the area ahead of the windscreen was way off too in my eye.

Sold it the very next week. I would probably get a MUCH more accurate looking razorback by chopping and splicing the old Revell razorback to the Has bubble top fuse. 

Again, REALLY hoping we get a razorback from Tamiya. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed, then. To date, Tamiya's 1/32 releases (at least since the Zero) have a few things in common:

1 - They're drawing from their 1/48 catalog, at least in broad type. Zero, Spitfire, Mustang, Corsair, Mosquito. Hell, the F4U-1A and Mosquito use almost the exact same box art as the 1/48 kits. I would bet with 100% certainty that their next subject will also come from their 1/48 catalog.

2 - They tend to do kits that haven't been "mastered" in 1/32. The Mustang is a great example. Yeah there's the ancient Hasegawa and the not-great Dragon. Plenty of room for improvement. 

3 - They tend to do popular subjects that will sell in volume. 

I don't think we'll see a 109 or 190 any time soon for two reasons. First...the market would actually be challenging. Revell's out there with good-enough kits of both now, for around $30. Trumpeter, Dragon and Eduard all have their own solid entries (not all Trumpy 109s are good, but the late G and the K are competitive with Hasegawa and Revell). Zoukei-Mura is gearing up to do their own high-end 190 series. And then there's the venerable Hasegawa kits. I don't doubt Tamiya's ability to stomp all of them, but even so $90+ for either would be a hefty ask considering the competition. That and...Tamiya sucks at filling out all variants of a subject, and the Germans were nothing if not variant-happy.

Like HK's Mosquito? Tamiya does its own thing and doesn't really have to care what anybody else is doing.

Trumpeter also does a Corsair...and the Tamiya F4Us are far and away better. Having built Trumpeter's P-47...there is massive room for improvement. Tamiya's 1/48 Jugs are still the best P-47s in any scale, and a 1/32 release would sell like gangbusters. The P-47 (of any variant or production block) also has so many different schemes, squadron and nose art variations that it would encourage multiple purchases. And the Jug is big enough and complex enough to justify the asking price Tamiya would slap on it.

I'm still standing by my original predictions from earlier this summer. In terms of popularity, complexity/size to justify the price, 1/48 catalog presence, market opening and so on, I'm calling either a P-47 or Me 262 as their next subject.

That's not how Tamiya thinks, I don't think. They haven't really shown interest in modern aircraft for years, with the lone, random exception of the F-16. If they go modern, I think a Mitsubishi F-2 or an F-35 is far more likely than an F-22.