Tamiya's next 1:32 release will be....(your bet goes here)

is it windy yet?

I can't imagine all the love for the F4F Wildcat.  It must be one of the ugliest planes of WW2 and reminds me of the Brewster Buffalo, another profile that only a mother could love    :sorry:.  And I'm not sure that we really need ANOTHER Luftwaffe plane.  It would be nice if it were the P-47, but I wouldn't mind the C.205 Veltro or even a Lavochkin  La-9.

At any rate, I can't wait to see what t is.

Jim

Sorry, but i'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think the shapes on the Trumpeter kit are very good. The Revell kit is better in places but it has its own set of issues as well.

-d-

David,

I too am afraid I'll have to disagree with your conclusions. Trumpeter's original F4F-4 indeed did have issues with the overall shape of the fuselage. they completely re-designed the fuselage and cut a new mold for the F4F-3, which came out after their F4F-4. The new fuselage shape is dead on both in outline and overall shape. What they did get wrong is the geometry of the wheel wells, which I spent a good month or two trying to correct. I got close, but it's not perfect.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I can't imagine all the love for the F4F Wildcat.  It must be one of the ugliest planes of WW2 and reminds me of the Brewster Buffalo, another profile that only a mother could love    :sorry:.  And I'm not sure that we really need ANOTHER Luftwaffe plane.  It would be nice if it were the P-47, but I wouldn't mind the C.205 Veltro or even a Lavochkin  La-9.

At any rate, I can't wait to see what t is.

Jim

Jim,

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. While I'm not a huge fan of the Brewster Buffalo F2A-3, both it and the F4F-3 were cutting edge mono plane designs of the time. And while the Buffalo was a disaster of an aircraft for the US. Navy, the Grumman Wildcat F4F's were the mainstay of Naval Aviation till the F6F-3s replaced them. Those "ugly" aircraft were our only viable fighters at the Coral Sea, & Midway until September 1943 when the Grumman F6F-3s started to replace them, but they still remained active in the Allie's naval aviation war efforts till the defeat of Japan. 

As I said beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and that little chubby Grumman fighter just happens to be my favorite Naval Aircraft of that period. Just checkout out my signature pictures. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Dean,

I'll 3nd that. There's already more then enough German WW11 aircraft out there, especially 109s & 190s. 

Joel

It wouldn't matter to me. Even though I've built two '109s and two '190s in the past 10 months, I'd instantly buy a 1:32 kit of either one from Tamiya. The building experience with one of their LSPs is so enjoyable it transcends the subject.

Anyway, too many '109s and '190s? Impossible!

They could be measuring up a 190 for any scale? I hope it's 1/48.

I remember when Tamiya did the birdcage Corsair. There was a sudden splurge of Trumpy 1/32 Corsairs on EBay & forums before it became general knowledge, so I'm sure these things do leak out.

They could be measuring up a 190 for any scale? I hope it's 1/48.

I remember when Tamiya did the birdcage Corsair. There was a sudden splurge of Trumpy 1/32 Corsairs on EBay & forums before it became general knowledge, so I'm sure these things do leak out.

I would doubt the measuring is for a 1/48 fw 190. They already have three (3) radial engined fw 190's released in 1/48 scale. It would seem that any future releases would follow from research already done on these releases.

.... ZM's 190 series seems to have been pushed to the back burner ...

Tamiya are seen measuring a lot of things ... rather than the Fw.190, I'd like to see them have a punt at the bf.109 F-K series... we might finally get an accurate one!!

As for the ZM Fw.190's - one of the latest blog posts had some CAD design updates and there's an initial 3D basic print of some bits at the USA IPMS show ... so it is progressing - just slowly.

Rog :)

Any examples?

lol :D ... I didn't say that I, personally, have witnessed their team taking measurements ... so no! ...

As in this thread, for example, it is mentioned from time to time that someone has seen their team out and about.

The point is - just because their team has been seen measuring up a particular A/C ... doesn't mean it will be the next subject released.

I'm sure they've measured up a Mk.I or II Spit ... yet we have nada!

Rog :)

One point has occurred to me that most seem to just have taken it for granted that Tamiya is currently working on, or at least planning a new 1/32 aircraft model sometime in the near future. They will be releasing the F4U-1D very soon, and that does quality as a new release. Tamiya creates plastic models in Aircraft, Armor, ships, Cars, Motor bikes, and each in more then one scale, Each requiring more and more resources of time, personal, and funding, none of which is an unlimited resource these days. And lets not forget that Tamiya's main business is RC cars, not static models.  So at this point one should be really addressing that question, rather then assuming the answer is an automatic yes.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

A Tamiya 109G-6 with hyper think cowls, an accurate engine and some wgr's plus gun packs would sell so fast even to seasoned luftwaffefiles that it woukd beclike owning a mint. Id even keep my Hasegawa kits for quick builds as does everyone want to build a full engine "every" time you build a kit?

We have the Corsair, the Mustang, the Spitfire there is only one missing from the list.

Once again, posts that are just personal wish lists which cover literally A-Z, and backed up with assumed data.  As I posted a few times, we don't even know if Tamiya has a 1/32 scale aircraft of any era currently as their #1 next planned production kit. How about a long over due 1/12 or 1/20 scale F1 or Sports prototype race car. Those two categories have been waiting longer then any other Tamiya category for a new release. 1/12 scale was Mr. Tamiya's personal favorite. Just watch some videos of their corp. offices, and they don't have any real airplanes nor armor on display, but they have some of the world's greatest ever race cars. 

the issue that a few years ago Tamiya was seen measuring a FW190 means literally nothing at this point. You're just assuming that it has to equate to a production run. Maybe the Bean Counters using their own formulary standards deemed that the projected GP wasn't enough to warrant further consideration. Or that they're going to produce the kit in 1/48 scale where the greatest bang for the buck currently is. 

Also keep in mind that here in the United States it's illegal for companies to get together and agree to "cut the pie" up without interfering with another companies plans if they so deem so. But in the Orient, it's not only legal, it goes on all the time. Some times they reach an agreement, and some times they don't. But one has to realize that the 1/32 market is the smallest by far of all the aircraft scales, so why go head to head with ZM over the release of a FW 190, when there are other subjects that would sell just as well.  A P-51B/C, P-38, P-47D bubble & Razorback., or even a state of the art F4F-3/4, or a F6F3/-5. You can't tell me that those aren't iconic WW!! aircraft with equal appeal.

The bottom line like it or not is that no one has a clue outside of Tamiya, and those that do aren't leaking any info. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W