House of the Flying Daggers! Mirage Double Feature Italeri/Revell

dutik

I think I have less issues with my 35 years old Revell Mirage than you get with your 21 century kit ......Happy modeling mate

Alain

Depends...

Fit of large parts is on par. Casting of the ancient Revell kit is much better without mold lines, surface steps and ejector marks on visible surfaces. Intake area needs some putty and sanding for both kits. Revells approach to the intake area is much better than Italeris, but without an intake duct inside the fuselage. Italeri is ahead with surface details and any small parts like cockpit and UC/UC bays. If you want to engrave Revells kit and add decent details to all the "pits" and all that small parts like air scoops then this adds considerably to the workload. And the external stores from Italeri are good enough to be sold as an aftermarket set right on its own.

Will show some images of my Revell kit soon. I've got the large paneel lines in place, but still on the way to add all that small inspection covers all around. Not to mention to fix the places where I slipped with the engraving tool or misaligned the whole line...

Regards

- dutik

Here is to the left the intake with the too short part of the intake "mouth":

mirage28csuw1.jpg

One of the Revell wings engraved:

mirage29uaun7.jpg

There was some warp at the leading edge that was ironed out, remaining gaps filled with putty and sanded flush.

Also added an extra to Italeris wing:

mirage31ffu1o.jpg

A hollow square profile as wing spar to keep the wings straight and to get them horizontally aligned.

And a glimpse at the Revell kit / Dagger that I am still rescribing:

mirage303ouqm.jpg

Enjoy!

- dutik

The frontal intke plates are in place. Watch that gaps where the intake lip meets the fuselage, both intakes. There are also some other places that are in need for a styrene wedge to get them closed.

mirage32vqs77.jpg

Feels like building a short run kit or something made by Mach2, Toga or AER. Don't walk away, RUN! :deadhorse:

OK; I will get this fixed, but it might take some days... The foil is a new Tamiya product: Yellow tape fitted to foil of a half meter width. Great idea if you want to cover areas that don't react well to tape, like bare metal finishes or large decals (like "wooden" surfaces). Wrapped the cocpit into it to avoid dusting.

Meanwhile adding details to the pilot and his seat. Life preserver is in place. The Isracast seat got a styrene oxygen bottle at the back and proper hoses. Its not a F-22, so no need to choke the pilot :wicked:

mirage338fsvc.jpg

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Sorry for the break! After that SNAFU with the intakes  :deadhorse:  I had to fall back and regroup :oops:

Switched to the Revell kit and Major Puga. The Isracast seat has a good outline, harness and nice rivets, a hallmark of the early Martin Baker seats, but somewhat basic details on the "bang" side of the seat. After looking at a number of images (there is not a lot around there, at least not showing close up the details of all that connectors, timers, release cables and so on) I added some bits and pieces in the most visible places:

mirage34j6se9.jpg

mirage36s4spk.jpg

mirage35vpsvc.jpg

mirage37d2szp.jpg

Some more gizmos needed at the top.

Guess Major Puga would welcome a helping hand or two too  :wicked:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Remember that I told you about major warping of the port fuselage of the Revell kit?

Not Revells fault, just the age of the kit (40+ years in the box...)

This calls for some heavy metal :punk:   to get things straight:

mirage38bgrjv.jpg

Superglued the pre-cut aluminium block in place. Added a liberal amount of filler too.

And the holes are for two screws to keep things aligned:

mirage39pzqb4.jpg

Grinded just some nice openings in the hull to insert the screws. This should teach the fuselage a lesson :punk:

Regards

- dutik