Aussie A-4G Skyhawk FINISHED.

ericg

Some more work.

Here is a small gauge behind a sight glass that I drilled into the fuselage. (still looking for pics of the forward gauge)

IMG_8439_zpsk4xopbcd.jpg

Looking through my references, I discovered that there were two large hooks that extend from the wheel well when the undercarriage is down to permit attachment of the launch cable. Initially I missed these hooks, as the walkaround pictures that I was using that my friend Bruce lent me were of New Zealand Skyhawk and either had them deleted, or were of the TA-4 which were not used on carriers. 

Here is a picture of the Wheel well before I added the new parts.

IMG_8407_zpspql3wr7t.jpg

I decided to scratchbuild some hooks, as the Aires resin parts look nothing like what I wanted, and the trumpeter units from the kit are way too small.  Some bit and pieces of plastic card and rod were used to build each hook.

IMG_8410_zpssxerek6w.jpg

IMG_8413_zpsznafyi4u.jpg

[/url]

IMG_8421_zpsvtht85vo.jpg

They are a little hard to see , but they hang down from the bays as per my refs.

IMG_8429_zps7tok55zm.jpg

I didn't put any nose weight into the model as I like to make my models as light as possible. A bit of a risk but a calculated one at that. By dry fitting everything to the model it was quite apparent that it was going be a tail sitter, So I hollowed out the bottom of the ejection seat and fitted a chunk of lead into the resulting hole. It is just enough to positively return the model to its nose wheel if it is tipped.

IMG_8432_zpsmklydunv.jpg 

Edited by ericg

Hi Eric,

This build keeps getting better and better! I love those catapult hooks that you fashioned from hand.

Regarding the small viewing window on the nose...is this the one you're referring to?

image_zpsdvlwt9fh.jpeg

If so, it's for viewing the brake fluid reservoir sight gauge, as this servicing diagram illustrates...

image_zpsgjnvokck.jpeg

From what I can tell, the gauge itself is set apart some distance from the window and is oriented horizontally against the sloping geometry of the nose section. Therefore, it might not be plainly visible except to a crew chief peering in up close with the aid of a flashlight.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

The wheel bays are really impressive, and it's all taking very good shape !

I think I'm in the minority as I've never really understood the appeal of the Skyhawk but I do really like this model.

Good job Eric.

Cheers.

I thought the same even a few months ago. Until i see an amazing model in the ready for inspection forum of an Israeli Skyhawk. And seeing such a load out on a so small and cute aircraft just converted me. :)

Hi Rich,

That is exactly what I am chasing, thanks very much.

There is also a small window just below the main step that I am also looking for info on.

Eric.

You mean this thingy...

image_zps8el4tppv.jpeg

It's simply a hole for the custom boarding ladder used on the Skyhawk. Here's another picture...

DSCN0819_zpsykuajv14.jpg

On the subject of view windows/gauges, the rudder and both ailerons had small inspection ports (on each side of the control surface). I haven't determined their purpose...perhaps hydraulic shimmy damper reservoirs?

Anyhow, here's one for the rudder...

image_zpsg29wzrfe.jpeg

and another for an aileron...

IMGP7612_zpspcpsgre2.jpg

Again they're present on both sides of the control surfaces, but absent altogether on the elevators.

Cheers

Edited by allthumbs

I wanted to make a nice Tarmac base for this model to represent it being parked at Nowra in New South Wales, ready for its mission.

Here is my process.

I cut a square of 3mm thick particle board, then marked a line across the longest corners. I then marked another line offset and parallel to the centerline. 

IMG_8481_zps2qv9eydn.jpg

2 sheets of 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper

IMG_8482_zpsulv6cfkh.jpg\

Cut into 13 cm squares, and laid over the wood base.

IMG_8483_zpscdxhkerk.jpg

Using some contact adhesive spray, I lightly coated the base and each piece of sandpaper

IMG_8484_zps6exvtxsp.jpg

Once touch dry, the `concrete' can be `poured'

IMG_8485_zps4rp8chxh.jpg

Placement of each square of concrete, allowing for a small gap between each piece.

IMG_8486_zps8bwhsblr.jpg

flip the base over and then run a sharp knife along each edge

IMG_8488_zpszd92zmsl.jpg

Each edge can then be tidied up with a sanding block

IMG_8489_zps532o49xf.jpg

I then primed the base with Tamiya Surface primer.

IMG_8490_zps0pivplq9.jpg

Here is the result. A textured 3D Tarmac.

IMG_8494_zpsaxs3qb0r.jpg

Now to weather the Tarmac.

I sprayed a light coat of water over the base, and then sprinkled salt over it.

IMG_8495_zpscfnomyqy.jpg

Once the salt was dry, I then sprayed a coat of Gunze Sangyo Light aircraft grey over it. The salt is then brushed off, leaving a patchy, worn concrete look.

IMG_8499_zpsbjsq08lj.jpg

The next step is to give each concrete square a brushed look using some Black oil paint, white spirits, a flat brush and a sponge.

IMG_8500_zpsa8mqe3tw.jpg

A diluted mixture of the oil paint is applied over each square with the brush

IMG_8502_zpsggz41xzt.jpg

The sponge is then used to wipe the mixture off.

IMG_8503_zps7wqno1e5.jpg

By doing each square seperately, each one will look slightly different. Using various pressures on the sponge and various amounts of white spirits will vary the quality of each square.

IMG_8504_zps6dubyeke.jpg

Here is a finished portion of the tarmac. You can see the various effects of the weathering that has been accomplished so far.

IMG_8511_zpsxscnzqd5.jpg

Time to add some extra elements. 

I wanted to add some tire marks. Using some Tamiya tape, I marked out various lines on the Tarmac. I then sprayed each edge with some diluted Gunze Smoke.

IMG_8508_zpsoqpsmvnf.jpg\

IMG_8510_zpsnawipgw4.jpg

I flicked some diluted Black oil paint over the base to put some random oil spots over it. (being careful not to overdo it.) I also painted on a leak using the excellent AK Interactive Aircraft engine oil. 

IMG_8512_zps5rqsnim8.jpg

I also added a small weed (I doubt that it would have been there but I guess it adds some interest) You can also see that I have sprayed each gap in the concrete with a very thin line of Tamiya Nato Black.

IMG_8513_zpswurtrhig.jpg

The finished product. 

IMG_8514_zpsn1zekfdi.jpg

Mounted on a wooded base that I got from a trophy shop. The gap on the right will be used for information about the model.

IMG_8515_zps2tjkgbsv.jpg

The base not only gives the model a realistic setting but also it brings out the light blue nature of the lighter cam colour.

IMG_8517_zpsdqhltuhm.jpg