Review: Italeri 2505: 1/32 Mirage IIIC

LSP_Kevin

Hi Tony - mine was missing the supplementary decal placement guide - and doesn't have any added decal - what does that tiny decal sheet provide?

Iain

Hi Iain,

It has "replacement" stencils 1-2-3-4 for the JL 100R store (which I think look better on the original, though I may be missing something) and, more significantly, a bird emblem in black/yellow/green for the fin of "Version B"' decal # 11

If you need it, PM me and I'll send it. Mine's almost certainly an AdA NMF French bird

Tony

Interesting--mine didn't have any additional decal inserts, but I do have a bunch of resin laying around--including the Isracast Neshr upgrade set, which looks like it has some useable bits for a III (instrument dial decals, bang seats).

Leaning increasingly toward the SAAF one...but have questions.  The instruction sheet indicates an aircraft at Waterkloof in 82, but my understanding is the IIIs saw frontline service prior to that (the 70s).  So I'd assume a Mk 4 seat (not a Mk 6).  Also not sure about the weapons load out.

Rocket pods?   And French or US-made weapons?   I'd think French given the embargo that was going on, unless they got them from a 3d party.

I know a lot less about the SAAF than I do other services that used the Mirage, but hey--at least I'm off to some sort of start!

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tim W.

Edited by TimW

Hi TimW. I'm also going for a SAAF one.

First IIICZ delivered to SAAF in 1963. Originally in silver with red flash on fuselage. Camouflaged in 1971 buff/green/grey. Some had hard edges to upper camo, some had feathered edges. They were flown by 2 Squadron based at Waterkloof. Camouflaged IIICZs were used operationally by 2 Squadron from Ondangwa in then South West Africa (Namibia) in the bush war in the early 1980s in the ground attack role and saw some real action. They were fitted either with wing tank / bomb combo or combined JL-100 combo wing rocket pod/fuel tanks. Have a look at the following website : saairforce.co.za. Lots of pics of SAAF CZs and some really stunning color profiles there. Look under the tab titled "Gallery and media". Seat was MB.Mk.4. Bombs were typically locally produced Mk.82 250kg items and Mk.81 125kg units. Missiles used included AIM-9Bs but I don't believe operationally as air to air role was by the F1CZs. Also delivered with R.530 and later equipped with V3A/B Kukri IR missiles. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mistral

yes indeed it looks nice . M Guerrero is working one the IP and the coaming . This resin parts will be , or already available at " Musthavemodels"

more complementary pictures

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90650

Alain

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpgtfIvafJAhWCtBQKHcuICtQQFggfMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmusthavemodels.jimdo.com%2Fnews%2F&usg=AFQjCNFmF5sXOF_ZMRZoOlUl4oNwW2XqPw

Edited by alain11

Hi TimW. I'm also going for a SAAF one.

First IIICZ delivered to SAAF in 1963. Originally in silver with red flash on fuselage. Camouflaged in 1971 buff/green/grey. Some had hard edges to upper camo, some had feathered edges. They were flown by 2 Squadron based at Waterkloof. Camouflaged IIICZs were used operationally by 2 Squadron from Ondangwa in then South West Africa (Namibia) in the bush war in the early 1980s in the ground attack role and saw some real action. They were fitted either with wing tank / bomb combo or combined JL-100 combo wing rocket pod/fuel tanks. Have a look at the following website : saairforce.co.za. Lots of pics of SAAF CZs and some really stunning color profiles there. Look under the tab titled "Gallery and media". Seat was MB.Mk.4. Bombs were typically locally produced Mk.82 250kg items and Mk.81 125kg units. Missiles used included AIM-9Bs but I don't believe operationally as air to air role was by the F1CZs. Also delivered with R.530 and later equipped with V3A/B Kukri IR missiles. Hope this helps.

Thanks!    Some good info on that site.

I have assembled a Mk 6 seat--were none of them equipped with it?  If so, I have an Mk 4 as well.  Info seemed to indicate that some were upgraded to Mk 6s later on.

Cheers,

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

yesterday , I opened my Mirage box , just to take a look at the kit , how details are "sharp" or weak ,well some things are good ,  other need some care ... And then , I took a look at the vertical fin , WOW , what a niiiice actuator fairing !!!!! , it looks like an horrible big 5 mm triangle ...... a real pity ....  I cut it off and redo it 

Alain

Have started building one of mine for one of the magazines - quite a lot of parts clean-up/fettling required - but it's coming together pretty quickly.

EDIT - and no supplementary decal placement sheet, or decals in the review kit either!

Iain

Have started building one of mine for one of the magazines - quite a lot of parts clean-up/fettling required - but it's coming together pretty quickly.

EDIT - and no supplementary decal placement sheet, or decals in the review kit either!

Iain

hi

did you notice this misshape fairing ???? if not , check pictures of the real thing ......which magazine ???

Alain