The Seventh Stormbird

Chris Wimmer

Outstanding! Really like what you have done here. I'm battling away with my own 262 and went the opposite way by sealing up the gun bay and engines - mainly because I wanted to show the clean lines of the 262. You've achieved both with being able to remove and open cowlings - just brilliant! I salute your skills and your most excellent and interesting build sir!

Are the gun cowls hinged? If so, how did you achieve this? It's too late for me to contemplate this, but I'm interested if you've found a source of micro-hinges.

Cheers

Adam

Outstanding! Really like what you have done here. I'm battling away with my own 262 and went the opposite way by sealing up the gun bay and engines - mainly because I wanted to show the clean lines of the 262. You've achieved both with being able to remove and open cowlings - just brilliant! I salute your skills and your most excellent and interesting build sir!

Are the gun cowls hinged? If so, how did you achieve this? It's too late for me to contemplate this, but I'm interested if you've found a source of micro-hinges.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam, thanks for your interest and the kind words! Yes, the gun cowls are hinged and I did it this way:

1. Replaced part C31 by a straight piece of sheet styrene

2. Bevelled the edges of both the new part and the doors and glued the central sheet styrene part in place.

3. Placed the doors in clean, closed position and fixed them with tape.

4. Cut three pieces of injection needle: Short - long - short and inserted a guitar string. Sanding the needle will improve the glue contact

5. Let the hinge slide into the depression and glue it as shown in the drawing. Of course be careful with the glue not to touch the guitar-string. But it's not a big deal when you take a little care.

Cheers   :)

Chris 

IMG_1368_zpsc0up5iad.jpg