Bitten by a Mosquito!

Wolf Buddee

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm finally back at the Mossie. Work has started on Eduard's Brassin Merlins, or at least the starboard one. There's no doubt that Tamiya's Merlins are brilliant but Eduard's Brassin engines are incredible with a higher level of fidelity in their detail that couldn't be achieved with injection moulding. Cutting the pour block off the front of the main engine block was a little nerve wracking as you have to be extremely accurate with your cut and clean up. If it's off a little bit so will be everything else on the forward end of the engine assembly. I found a couple of the small detail parts were broken but I was able to piece them back together or replace part of the broken piece with card stock. I also had some pin hole damage to one piece which needed fixing. No biggie, just annoying. One bit of advise I can give, I suggest reading well ahead in the instructions particularly when it relates to any wiring or piping you have to add. Holes need to be drilled, cleaned, or deepened in certain parts for the added wiring and if you don't do it before hand you're going to run in to trouble as you won't be able to access certain areas one the parts have been glued together. I also suggest using 5 minute epoxy as an adhesive as it gives you plenty of time to align pieces properly. Being familiar with the Merlin engine helps too as I learned a lot from detailing the engine on my Spitfire. Even though Eduard's instructions are very good, knowing how some of the plumbing is routed makes planning ahead an easier task. The only complaint, and it's not really a big complaint, is that Eduard elected to do the top ignition conduit and the ignition leads as a photo-etch piece. Considering that they supply you all the spark plug fittings for the outer cylinder banks and you have to provide your own wire for the actual leads, the photo-etch piece at the top, which is far more visible, looks way too 2 dimensional. I'll have to scratch build a better conduit and ignition leads. I'll try and post a pic of what it should look like. Other'n that Eduard's Merlins are incredible. Time to get some paint on some of these pieces.......... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

Brassin-Merlin-1_zpsxukw0cqv.jpg

Brassin-Merlin-2_zpsklcfnini.jpg

Brassin-Merlin-3_zps0e725xfi.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Simply gorgeous - what a casting. I snapped to attention as soon as I saw your post and the the Mossie was back on the bench. I've been waiting a long time for the build to start down the line again and will be following with intense interest.

Speaking of Mossie's, mine is one piece of plastic away from being finished: the antenna that is waiting to be glued into position on the vertical stabilizer and our journey will be in the books. I needed a bit of RnR and started the Sufa to build up the juices for the finals bits and pieces. I'm planning to finish tomorrow and then over the next few days take the final images; both for the last thread update and the Ready for Inspection glamour shots.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Wolf buddy, glad to see you at it again. And thank you for your WIP on the engines. They look fantastic ! And I'm sure you will do them justice .......Harv :popcorn:

Ron, Peter, Carl, Harvey, thanks for checkin' in. I always appreciate the comments and encouragement!

Here are a couple of pics that show what the upper ignition conduit on the Mossie's Merlins should look like and then the Eduard part. It looks like I'm going to have to build me a cross between a porcupine and a snake eh? The top photo was taken at the aviation museum in Edmonton AB. They have a nice 1:1 scale Mosquito there but I'm not sure if this Merlin came out of a Mossie but the ignition configuration and coolant pipes are the right configuration. I wish that Eduard had provided photo-etch parts for all the various linkage levers. Those'll have to be scratch built.

Cheers,

Wolf

Ignition-conduit-1_zpsr2ysuze4.jpg

Ignition-conduit-2_zpszoupictz.jpg

Wolf

Simply gorgeous - what a casting. I snapped to attention as soon as I saw your post and the the Mossie was back on the bench. I've been waiting a long time for the build to start down the line again and will be following with intense interest.

Speaking of Mossie's, mine is one piece of plastic away from being finished: the antenna that is waiting to be glued into position on the vertical stabilizer and our journey will be in the books. I needed a bit of RnR and started the Sufa to build up the juices for the finals bits and pieces. I'm planning to finish tomorrow and then over the next few days take the final images; both for the last thread update and the Ready for Inspection glamour shots.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

C'mon Peter, git 'er done! One piece away........... Makes me laugh though. It took me two days to finish off the Spitfire build after working on it off and on for 3 years and then it sat idle for a while. We need to see your 'squito in RFI!

Cheers,

Wolf