Bitten by a Mosquito!

Wolf Buddee

I have the 'How to Build" book I bought with my kit, BUT this thread is a detailed visual companion to the book, and the only thing that would be cooler is to have an odd short video tutorial of your painting process........ I always do better when I can see how it's done.....as I seem to have a disconnect between my brain and my hands.... your work, Wolf, is exceptionally stunning......

Cheers Mate

Jeff

Wolf those ammo boxes are eye wateringly good. It just shows that minor detail doesn't mean insignificant.

And Martin, thanks for all those informative and evocative 333 Sqn photos.

You can only imagine the effect of cold and damp and constant vibration on wooden aircraft skins.

From Leuchars, any target in Europe is far away, and a raid on Norway would be over a thousand mile round trip, with somewhere like Narvik double that.

With no nav aids. Incredible what those young guys were able to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Wolf Buddee,

I always enjoy reading your updates - there's no shortage of inspiration from your posts.

If I may I'd like to know the location of the previous photo. The reason I ask is that it looks like it was taken at the Avspecs hangar in Auckland on the day that the Mosquito rolled out of the hangar. If so, I was there that day. I was on a three hour layover between flights and the Captain I was flying with suggested we kill some time and head out to Ardmore aerodrome to see the mosquito rollout.

On arrival we got speaking to the photographer who said words to the effect of "If you think the mosquito's nice wait till you see what comes out of that hangar over there." Being somewhat clueless we thought that perhaps there may have been another warbird previously kept under wraps. But no, two smoking - and I mean smoking - hot models appeared for the photo shoot. Everyone's jaws just hit the floor. Of course, my colleague, being somewhat smooth, was the one chatting to them as the shoot was being planned. I just stood there like a lame duck gobsmacked. Sigh...

Keep up the fantastic work

Paul

Thanks for following along so far and all your kind words of encouragement. I've had little bench time for a while due to more domestic duties to attend to but I have gotten a little more done on the Mossie's nose gun bay. The gun mounts have been painted and weathered. These, as are all the pieces to Eduard's nose gun kit, are incredibly detailed. The rear gun bay bulkhead has also been painted and decals applied. Even the feed chutes are numbered so the armourers know exactly which chute goes where. The flexible drive shaft for the wiper motor was scratch built using 1/24th scale spark plug wire partially stripped of it's insulation. I then wrapped very fine wire around the upper portion to represent the flexible part of the conduit. It took me a couple of tries to get it done as it's a very small piece. The wiring harness was moulded on to the bulkhead and on to the the gravity and impact switches so it was very tricky to paint. To allow the wash to show the detail better the wiring harness was painted Model Master Dark Chocolate Brown rather than plain ol' black and certain strands picked out first in white and then painted yellow. More teeny photo-etch chains were added as per the instructions and the metal bar that holds the front of the ammunition canisters in place was made using the shaft of a broken #80 drill bit. See, it pays not to throw anything away! Lots more to do but I'm slowly getting' there. The bulkhead assembly is not glued in to place on the kit floor and is slightly mis-aligned but it'll be right when finally secured.

Cheers,

Wolf

Nose-gun-bay-1_zpsgol8tnly.jpg

Nose-gun-bay-2_zpsehgqcuby.jpg

Nose-gun-bay-3_zpsjeuqj9bz.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Thanks Kev! Slowly but surely, makin' some progress but summer is almost upon us here and that will probably mean even more of a slow down on this build. You guys in the Southern Hemisphere are going to have to pick up the slack for us northern bunch!

Cheers,

Wolf

You know Wolf, I'm disappointed. I would have expected you to scratch build individual miniature .303 rounds and links on your micro lathe to load into the feed chutes and each round would have hand painted case info and primers etc...You're slackin old boy..

:whistle: 

:rofl: 

Keep up the amazing work!

Paul 

You know Wolf, I'm disappointed. I would have expected you to scratch build individual miniature .303 rounds and links on your micro lathe to load into the feed chutes and each round would have hand painted case info and primers etc...You're slackin old boy..

:whistle:

:rofl:

Keep up the amazing work!

Paul 

Thanks Paul,

Sorry to disappoint though. I found that my bottle of Mr. Ammo Rounds had completely dried up and I don't have a lathe. I'd really like to have one though but then I'd have to learn to use it too.

Cheers,

Wolf

Slow down? Someone chain him to the chair. You can rest next summer:)

Whatever the greatest compliment is, that you could receive as a builder, apply it here cause I sure can't put it in words...

Geoff

Geoff, you're too kind. No more chains though. After bending and applying all the photo-etch chains on to the ammo boxes I'm finally done with chains. They are soooo freakin" small!

Still have a bunch more stuff to do but I'm still workin' on it. I'm currently fitting the Master brass barrels for the .303s on to Eduard's resin guns. More fun than a barrel full o' monkeys!

Cheers,

Wolf