Bitten by a Mosquito!

Wolf Buddee

Beautiful work Wolf! Just amazing. Just one thing, don't forget there is a wire that goes out to the lamp in the very tip of the nose and routes out through one of the lightening holes on the nose mounting ring.I know I am being tough on you mate, but you are setting the bar on this one....very inspiring indeed!I think from memory those two points you mention are the gun adjusters for bore sighting the outer machine guns...will have to check though.Keep em coming!CheersAnthony

22 guage wire, in 1:1 scale. Stamped with a wire identification every 16" and 12" from termination points. I'm sure Wolf knows this though.

Guys, thank-you all for checking in and offering you kind words regarding the Mossie build! The last few days have been brutal at work so there's been no further progress. I haven't even made it to the bench since the last pics were posted. Hopefully the Eduard Brassin cannons will be here soon so I can replace the kit items. Next month is supposed to see the release of Eduard's Brassin nose machine guns for the Mossie including ammo feed chutes with .303 rounds within. Hhhhhmmmmmm...........

I'll be back.....

Cheers,

Wolf

Some days, I just feel so averagely human. Especially in the sight of builds like this.

I'm so unworthy.

Not so my friend, not even close! Anytime you're feelin' that way just glance over at you're Gotha or your T-28 and stand tall! You do yourself proud m' man :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolf

Nothing like life and work keeping us from our appointed rounds at the bench. Always looking forward to each update.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Having just completed (almost) Eduard's cannon assembly for the Mossie I thought I would make mention of a few things to watch out for. Eduard's resin pieces are amazing in the extra level of detail they add to all elements of the cannon assemblies. The inclusion of the ammunition feed chutes with ammo cast within has a huge visual impact. The blank kit chutes are, so far, the only real short coming of Tamiya's fantastic kit. There are however some issues with Eduard's set. I found I had to spend a lot more time cleaning up the resin framework that supports the ammunition boxes and cannons. The detail is extremely fine and the excess resin material was encased around a lot of that detail so a new, sharp, #11 blade was put to good use cleaning everything up. That kind o' comes with the territory though but the casting could have been a little cleaner.

The first real surprise was that the frame work pieces, when dry fitted to the cannon bay, were too wide. In other words the locating pins on the two parts that form the basis of the whole assembly didn't fit within the kit holes. In fact I broke one of the locating pins off one of the frames while dry fitting it. I had to cut the pins off the resin parts, drill new holes just inside the original locations and glue new pins in place using styrene rod. Luckily there was enough material where I had to drill to accept the new pins. The frames themselves sit at the very edge of the gun bay lip so the separate side panels of the bay are a tight fit but still work.

Eduard's cannon barrels are separate pieces as opposed to Tamiya's one piece cannon assemblies. Not a problem you'd think as each barrel is keyed to fit within a hole in the cannon body. The problem is the keyed barrel end is smaller than the hole in the cannon itself and the barrel can be turned 360 degrees within the hole. That makes barrel alignment extremely tricky. I used two part 5 minute epoxy to glue the barrels in place using my Mk 1 eyeball and lots of continual adjustments as the epoxy set up. The two longer barrels, one more than the other, were also warped and no amount of dipping in near boiling water completely resolved the issue.

The next big surprise, as assembled using Eduard's instructions, the cannon assembly wouldn't fit within the fuselage! For some reason I decided to be lazy and used clear matt paint to secure the reinforcement rings to the cannon barrels rather than epoxy or ca. That turned out to be very lucky. When the reinforcement rings (which in reality are fastened on to the wooden bulkhead at the front of the cannon bay) are attached as suggested, they butt up against the first of 2 ribs cast on to the business end of the barrel. Gluing them there moves the rings too far forward and results in the entire cannon assembly sitting too far back and the locating pins unable to seat in their holes! The Tamiya cannon assembly fit like a glove, go figure eh? I found that removing the first rib on the barrel and enlarging the hole in the reinforcement ring allowed me to slip the ring on top of the second rib moving the ring far enough back to allow the whole assembly to fit as it should. The rings where attached with 5 minute epoxy and while still positionable the whole assembly was placed within the fuselage. The rings were then pushed forward until they fit against the bulkhead and left to dry.

Sorry for the long written post but I figure the information will be of use to anyone using Eduard's replacement for the kit's cannon assemblies. All I can say is DRY FIT EVERYTHING before committing to glue! All in all Eduard's set adds an incredible amount of detail over the kit bits but at over $50.00 CDN for the set I would have expected better fitment of Eduard's upgrade. :hmmm:

On to the pics! :)

Cannon-1_zpsdqiwdtn6.jpg

Cannon-2_zpsdnft2vcb.jpg

Cannon-3_zps8ee0dx1v.jpg

Cannon-4_zpsapg88bio.jpg

Cannon-5_zpsbqcijo37.jpg

Cannon-6_zpse3zepgn5.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Modeling sweetness in every way- as usual.  I'm still looking for a modeling flaw in your work to prove that you're human, but I have yet to find it.  C'mon Wolf, throw us a bone!  A glue mark, smudge in the paint, crooked decal, seam or pin mark would be greatly appreciated.   :P