Bitten by a Mosquito!

Wolf Buddee

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Just catching up, as that seems what I do best lately. brilliant work and you have now become the "Poster Pinup" for the art of detail painting and enhancement, allowing the details to pop.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Rich,

My wash technique is really quite simple. I use a water soluble wash made by The Detailer. Their washes are available in a number of different colours but I primarily use a 50/50 mix of their black and brown wash. To this mixture I add a drop of dishwashing liquid as it breaks the surface tension of the wash and also helps with clean up. I thin this mixture with distilled water and use a fine brush to apply the wash were I want it. Any excess wash is removed with another brush dipped in clean water. I have great control with the wash this way. I can even feather the edge of the wash or create a hard sharp edge. For me, the stuff is foolproof.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks a bunch Wolf. I see that fellow Canuck (and modeler supreme) chuck540z3 backs these products too.

That's all the convincing I need! Order placed. :)

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Correct, a throw back to WW1,  early WW2 birds had them as diamonds on the left wing

Those were gas detection. I believe the yellow circles on the metal plates though was to denote armor, because it shows up only in cockpits of British planes.

Matt  :frantic:

Kind words indeed Matt! I've seen your work here. Your building and painting talents are just wonderful! You're already all grown up my friend.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you so much for that Wolf. That means a lot.  You though are at a different level, and I aspire to get as good as you someday, your work is so clean and so precise.  This and the Spitfire are my favorites.

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks for all the kind comments folks, they're much appreciated!

The control column for the Mossie got a little bit of extra attention. The accompanying pics and text show the details I've added. I used .0075 wire from Detail Master (model car stuff) for the brake and the electrical cables. A piece of fine wire was squished flat and shaped to create the cannon firing lever and a minuscule piece of card stock was used to make the machine gun firing button. Bits of 1/48th scale photo-etch turnbuckle was used to form the pivot and retaining stay for the brake cable. Considering that the control column out of the box was only 3 pieces including the photo-etch brake lever, I've added quite a few extra bits and most of 'em very tiny.......... :mental: Lots o' fun though if not a little hard on the eyes but the end result, I think, looks much better. 

What do y'all think?

Cheers,

Wolf

Mossie-column-1_zpsf0htxyin.jpg

Mossie-column-2_zpsafdvsexn.jpg

Mossie-column-7_zpsw8gnip4a.jpg

Mossie-column-5_zpsrcprcswz.jpg

Mossie-column-6_zpsdwo3gg6h.jpg

Wolf,

Fantastic work. How do you make the leather seats look so realistic? Do you use some oil based paints, or just Tamiya paint?

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Rick,

The seat cushions were painted with Tamiya Black Green with a little bit of Nato Black added. They were then dry brushed with Aeromaster Dark Green and finally given an overcoat of Tamiya's semi-gloss clear lacquer from their spray cans. The pilot's floatation device was painted with Floquil's U.S. Khaki, given a wash of my favourite The Detailer wash and finally dry brushed with a light tan colour.

Cheers,

Wolf

It is brilliant work Wolf, some of it has me stumped on how you do it.  Like the white stripe on the red knob?

Thanks Ron,

Nothing at all to stump you, it's all real easy. The white stripe on the undercarriage lever was done using a small piece if white pin-stripping decal.

Cheers,

Wolf