1/32 Vietnam F4 C/D Decals SEA Scheme

Norwest68

Hi Guy's,

first post on the forum and looking for some assistance!! Thanks for letting me join, have managed to boost my stash with a number of great items I have found here and some techniques and ideas picked up by reading through the forums.I have spent the last few days searching the net for some decals to the above. I have the excellent sheets from Zotz for the F4 E's but cannot find anything still in production for the F4 C/D's of the same era. I am wanting to build the Tamiya kit and have Decals for USAF ANG grey Phantoms, building a "Happy Hooligans" from 1983 out of Fargo (Caracal) my wife has an attachment to North Dakota (but from Minnesota) but would like to build a SEA scheme for the next build. Any help would be greatly received!!

Thanks Heaps

Shane.

I may still have some items I had printed by Draw Decal (ALPS type digital on a solid clear background).

They do *not* conform around complex curves despite what Draw Decal might claim, but the options I drew go mostly on fairly flat surfaces so would work well.

Need to have a rummage, but the usable options include a PAVE Knife F-4D (code FG), Eglin TAWC Towel Rail F-4D (EG), both from 1972. There are other options. PM me if you're interested. I have placement instructions available as a PDF file.

-Or-

GT resin does an F-4C Weasel conversion with screen printed decals for the aircraft markings (two ZG with nose names, crew names plus a Nellis WA trainer)

-Or-

Do another Hooligan. In 1977-78 they were in SEA camo with the Happy Hooligans tail sash.

-Or-

Wait till I or someone else puts their Fox One or Cutting Edge decals up for sale. They are quite rare and fetch high prices at the moment

-Or-

Wait till 2018 or so when HKM are likely to follow up their Spey Tooms and F-4B with a C/D and better decals than the Tamiya offering (although I think the black-bellied Towel Rail Night Owl scheme looks pretty smart)

HTH

Tony

Here is a list of S.E.A. scheme decals that are available on the "resale" market none are in production.

Barry

AirDOC M32-03 1/32 USAFE Phantoms in Europe

Cutting Edge 32004 1/32 F-4C/Ds & RF-4Cs S.E.A

Eagle Strike 32011 1/32 V. N. Warriors F-4D Pt.2

Fox One 32002 1/32 F-4C 366th TFW

Fox One 32004 1/32 F-4C 8th TFW

Edited by Barry

Tony,

thanks for the advice, getting a bit late here tonight so will do some research and get back to regard the offer, thanks again. The Happy Hooligan option would get me a few more points at home!!!!

Hi Barry,

thanks for the feedback, seems like decals for that time/aircraft type are few and far between. Have a few F4 C/D's in the stash and hopefully be adding a few more soon so will be keeping an look out for more markings.

Tony,

thanks for the advice, getting a bit late here tonight so will do some research and get back to regard the offer, thanks again. The Happy Hooligan option would get me a few more points at home!!!!

Great choice Shane !

image_8.jpeg

US DoD photo

They did have a smattering of snow at that time, carrying full stencil data with white over the green areas, and the tail serial would need sourcing from spares.

Tony

Not AFAIK Harv, but it's remotely possible they had one for a short time to use as a trainer. I honestly don't know.

The 119th FIG was an air defence unit and went from F-101B Voodoos to early F-4Ds. Most of the Ds did not feature the digital scan converter so had the old-fashioned 'round radarscope' in the back just as in the Tamiya kit.

If you want other Hooligan options Caracal decals do the markings on their T-33 sheet.

Tony