New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

I heard Tamiya is interested in re-vamping their F-14 and F-4 series... :) :m0152:

I'd like to know where you heard that from? Tamiya did release a new 1/48 Tomcat, so there could be hope that they will upscale that in the future, but I don't think you will see Tamiya release any new 1/32 jets in sometime, they seem to be able to print enough money with prop subjects 

Although they did just release a 1/48 Type 10 JGSDF main battle tank which I'm overly excited about as well 

Many apologies for asking a topic specific question and showing interest in the project, my mistake, I had not realised that it was on a 'need to know basis' after all it is people like me that will be expected to part with a considerable sum of money to purchase the kit once released. I am assuming that they will not be given away?

To quote the first comment made in this matter:

Jennings Heilig, on 06 Oct 2015 - 01:14 AM, said:snapback.png

It is official, and Neil asked me to announce it.  So here it is:

HK Models is working on a 1/32 Spey Phantom kit.  Design work is well underway, with release sometime in 2016.

That's straight from the horse's mouth...

Now, here we are in May of 2016 and I would have thought that the great interest shown in this project that there may have been an update or two on progress, unfortunately it seems that asking this question is not warranted judging by the answers given.

Still, I am pleased to read that the project is still on-going and not shelved for the time being and that other projects are not taking precedence as the rumours have indicated. So all that is left to do is await the release of the kit in the fullness of time once the other projects are completed of course.

Its a shame that the resin conversion set that was to be announced was not followed through on, cancelled due to the HKM project announcement.

Whilst any comparison is at present highly speculative warriormcv, with some knowledge of the pedigree of some of the folks who are consultants for HK Models on the Spey Phantom project, I'm satisfied that providing their input is fully exploited we will not see a better rendition of the type in plastic in the foreseeable future.

Many apologies for asking a topic specific question and showing interest in the project, my mistake, I had not realised that it was on a 'need to know basis' after all it is people like me that will be expected to part with a considerable sum of money to purchase the kit once released...

.   Now, here we are in May of 2016 and I would have thought that the great interest shown in this project that there may have been an update or two on progress, unfortunately it seems that asking this question is not warranted judging by the answers given....

.   Still, I am pleased to read that the project is still on-going and not shelved for the time being and that other projects are not taking precedence as the rumours have indicated. So all that is left to do is await the release of the kit in the fullness of time once the other projects are completed of course.

It does have that feeling at times. Pertinent outside information is lost uncredited within the black hole of the inner sanctum of tape measurer gods whilst we mere mortals have to wait for the all too seldom sprinkle of information crumbs.

. Consulting my crystal ball "reveals" the kit is being designed on screen but is a year away from tooling. I may not live to see it as Hong Kong Models' release programme is very slow. (And that's a valid observation, not any kind of criticism).

. I wouldn't automatically assume that other projects aren't taking precedence - the B-17E/F, Lancaster and Two Stage Merlin Mossie are all in front of the queue from what we mortals can deduce and at the rate of 1.5 releases a year my guess is that the FG.1/FGR.2 is due around September 2018.

Tony

Exactly Tony. I am afraid your forecast is a realistic one.

Experience is showing us we should never take for granted the announced delivery dates. Any project planning is only made to have a rough estimate. Practically speaking, whatever may be the activity, such plannings are generally full of postponed tasks delaying the final delivery of the product.

This explains why we really need to be patient as a two years delay is really common. Love it or hate it, it is an unfortunate fact.

Thierry

Warriormcv, don't get me wrong, there is no problem asking a question! Very frankly, I think that most of the posts I made on LSP are replies to questions ;-) And my post was not only for you.

However, asking about a release date because of an announced date is quickly becoming a source of frustration for a lot of people as they do not realize such dates are provisional to say the least. So, the closer to the announced date they are, the more nervous they are... And, finally the disappointment grows because the date is behind and there is no clue demonstrating the short term future release.

Again, I quoted the Special Hobby Tempest case as a good example. And if it is finally released the Trumpeter Devastator will be an even worse example.

I understand this as I am sure that, besides me and you, a lot of other modellers are also willing to get the kit. However, a hobby should not be a source of frustrations and this problem is really a common one.

Thierry

There was a similar question asked on Britmodeller regarding the two-stage Mosquito release, how members of a forum are expected to know the exact time a kit will be released is unrealistic. The Special Hobby Tempest has had its release continuously put back, but now seems certain for release within a month, well the Mk.V, and certainly seems to be worth the wait, patience seems to be a rare commodity these days.

Its a shame that the resin conversion set that was to be announced was not followed through on, cancelled due to the HKM project announcement.

Although a resin conversion set might have been canceled due to the HKM project announcement, a prospective provider of one that I was providing support to was daunted by the amount of fuselage that had to be replaced, basically from the engine inlets aft to blast area aft the afterburners. The inlet ramps were also different. Note that the 1/48th conversion cited above does not appear to include the fuselage changes around and aft of the Spey afterburners, which are notably larger. That said, conversions from F-4Js like the example included above are doable. If you're impatient, details on most of the changes required are provided here: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html

but now that it's been announced this kit is there any chance to see some old Cutting Edge 'Wild Hare' conversion at more "human" prices?

surprisingly they are many months on ebay do not see...

$_35.JPG

Edited by Luca

but now that it's been announced this kit is there any chance to see some old Cutting Edge 'Wild Hare' conversion at more "human" prices?

surprisingly they are many months on ebay do not see...

$_35.JPG

Probably happen nearer the release date for the HK kit, though if I had one I'd ditch it now.

The internet has made us image-greedy.

Whilst this remains "in the works" I'm currently hungering for some 1/32 Jaguar "soon to be" stuff from Kitty Hawk.

...all the time attempting to making some progress with 1/72 distractions/stocking fillers in the Flagon department

Tony