New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

I am so excited. I know what to do! I will convert an existing kit to an FGR.

(I Can be snotty at times)

Frank

Heh - good one Frank.

Although as the UK's Spey Phantom was a potential first of a new breed, there's always the swing-wing Phantom proposal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi those in the know. 

Is there any update on how the design and kit is progressing? 

Rumours seem to be saying that it has been shelved/delayed in preference to other projects, is there any truth in this?

Rumours seem to be saying that it has been shelved/delayed in preference to other projects, is there any truth in this?

Not that I'm aware of. There are other projects coming out ahead of it (with the B-17E/F being the next cab off the rank), and we'll definitely see the Lancaster before this one. But it's still being actively worked on as far as I know, and nothing has really changed. I just don't think we'll see it soon.

Kev

Aw dang, not another case of untrue rumours...  cowboy.gif

Wait a minute - are you trying to tell me that unsubstantiated, unresearched, uncritically repeated rumours can't possibly be true?

How will the interwebs survive such cruel truths???

Be patient gents!

It is useless to ask every two months what is the status as creating an accurate kit of a model with that complexity is taking YEARS!

Sorry to disappoint you but the impatient guys among us should rather focus on existing kits and put the Spey Phantom project in the background as it is not going to be released soon. This is the harsh reality!

The Special Hobby Tempest is a good example of the long amount of time that may be necessary to end a project...

Last, as we have here people who have close contacts with HK, we will know when an important milestone will be reached.

Thierry

I heard they had no interest in revisiting those subjects, but maybe Mr Tamiya is bored with props. It's been over ten years since they last offered a fresh 1/32 jet boxing.

The F-4 with revised inlets, new nozzles and stores and an optional all-clear one piece closed canopy would be great.

As would a proper RF-4 recce nose.

But I suspect this is all just rumour and people will get their bomber Mossie this Autumn and a new Jug next year.

Tony

I've taken to 1/72 to get a little more instant gratification. I'm still hoping Airfix might offer a diddy FG.1/FGR.2 to keep up morale pending the big HKM - just hope I get to see it.

Tony

I fully agree Tony.

The more I've researched the big beast, the more I realise how left wanting the Fujimi and Hasegawa kits actually are.

Don't get me wrong- they were great for their time (even if you did have to splice the Matchbox lower jetpipes to the Fujimi).

But even the Hasegawa ones and Revell repops have since lost their gloss, which is a shame as they'll probably end up as decal horses now, rather than the superkits I'd always imagined they'd be.