New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

I think I'm going to have to get this kit based on that photo alone.  That plane is a dream come true for weathering.  I saw its supposed to be released sometime in 2016, does anyone have an idea of the release date?

Edited by dsahling1

I've seen a lot of FGR2s in my time. Indeed apart from maybe a couple of early career crash victims, I've got pictures of all of them collected over the years from the interwebs. But I've never seen one looking as dark as XV419 in that photo. Apart from the rudder, the poor airframe doesn't look so much dirt stained as smoke stained, like a neighbour on the flightline had a fire, or somesuch. The dark areas don't even appear to match a possible underlying DG/DSG pattern either. As does its neighbour and both made the scruffier looking by the pristine 57 FIS F-4E behind them.

What, did the UK crews use the Soviet method of taking the used engine oil and spreading it over the paint to help with corrosion?

No, not even HK.  The design work is started, but is a very, very long way from being complete.  More likely to be an early 2017 release than a 2016 release.

I'd rather see 2017, and done well, rather than rushed and FUBAR'D

Edited by phantomdriver

Are the Lymie Phantoms really that sought after by modelers? I'm asking because I don't know. I didn't know that so many wanted to see a Brit Phantom in 32nd from reading this thread. I'd think there would be more demand for the F-4B release in 32nd. There would be so much better AM available for the B model if the HKM ends up a reality. I'm salivating just thinking about buying an accurate B in large scale! We shall see. Keep us posted, please. 

Masterguns

I'm a "Lymie" and would like an OOB F-4B too. However, in the light of the Cutting Edge and far more competent GTR Bravo/November conversions for the widely available Tamiya Juliet - which unconverted can fulfill many USN/USMC modellers' wishes (I have two myself) the Rolls-Royce powered versions are far higher up the list of wants for a great many modellers.

These R-R variants exude a class of their own and offered greater power, even if a lower top speed (which remained academic for most J79-powered variants in any case, if carrying anything other than Sparrows) and furthermore the HKM kits are very likely to generate quite a few 1/32 converts on this side of the Atlantic, as will Kitty Hawk's big SEPECAT Kitties.

What I'm wondering, although probably beyond my lifespan, is if HKM can make "the" definitive J79-GE-8/10 powered model 98 on the heels of the Spey variants. I suspect TanModel will produce the best 'GE-17 RF-4E/F-4E/F-4F within the next three-four years, and HKM the best F-4B/J 'GE-8/10 variants - I can envisage acres of internet pages devoted to these delights.

Whatever your drop of nectar, and mine's Speyside (and Islay) single malts, there will doubtless be a host of Missouri Moonshine hitting the market within the next decade.

Tony

I'm a "Lymie" and would like an OOB F-4B too. However, in the light of the Cutting Edge and far more competent GTR Bravo/November conversions for the widely available Tamiya Juliet - which unconverted can fulfill many USN/USMC modellers' wishes (I have two myself) the Rolls-Royce powered versions are far higher up the list of wants for a great many modellers.

These R-R variants exude a class of their own and offered greater power, even if a lower top speed (which remained academic for most J79-powered variants in any case, if carrying anything other than Sparrows) and furthermore the HKM kits are very likely to generate quite a few 1/32 converts on this side of the Atlantic, as will Kitty Hawk's big SEPECAT Kitties.

What I'm wondering, although probably beyond my lifespan, is if HKM can make "the" definitive J79-GE-8/10 powered model 98 on the heels of the Spey variants. I suspect TanModel will produce the best 'GE-17 RF-4E/F-4E/F-4F within the next three-four years, and HKM the best F-4B/J 'GE-8/10 variants - I can envisage acres of internet pages devoted to these delights.

Whatever your drop of nectar, and mine's Speyside (and Islay) single malts, there will doubtless be a host of Missouri Moonshine hitting the market within the next decade.

Tony

Roger that & thanks for the insight. Certainly the F-4K & M variants of the US Phantom family are the most attractive jet the Brits have operated (IMHO). I just don't get into other countries aircraft (no slight intended toward my friends in the allied countries :) with the exception of the F-21A Kfir & the newer yet former Mc-D Harrier. I know the B model has never been done in this scale w/o a conversion set so I'm extremely excited about their pending venture in trying to bring the other variants to market for us. I'm very much OCD since I was a rugrat & I'm a little obsessive about the details. The Tamiya Phantoms are indeed great kits, but there is a lot of work to be done to make it a very accurate build. I'm praying that HKM can be the measure by which all others are judged with this new offering. Hopefully I can sell off all this aftermarket for the Tamiya Phantoms & convert it into some goods for a few HKM F-4Bs. Hopefully not much AF will be needed in the first place. Best wishes. Have a wonderful weekend, gents!

Masterguns

• 2 weeks later...

This is 1/48 related but I know many of you also model in this scale.

A guy in Greece, Ted Antonop has produced some fabulous upgrades for the Hasagawa/Revell kit (although I'm sure they can be adapted to fit other brands)

He has created a Spey engine along with a separate afterburner can set, he's also done superb seamless intakes along with front turbine blades.

His next project is going to be a cockpit set so I expect that will be equally superb.

They can be ordered directly from him at:

geraki14@yahoo.com

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2v0mx5p9w7osjxa/AAAKXDxyW4CKjxEYNLVrv0Fca?dl=0

He has also expressed an interest in upscaling the items to 1/32 which is the actual reason for this post :)

Edited by warriormcv

This is 1/48 related but I know many of you also model in this scale.

A guy in Greece, Ted Antonop has produced some fabulous upgrades for the Hasagawa/Revell kit (although I'm sure they can be adapted to fit other brands)

He has created a Spey engine along with a separate afterburner can set, he's also done superb seamless intakes along with front turbine blades.

His next project is going to be a cockpit set so I expect that will be equally superb.

They can be ordered directly from him at: 

geraki14@yahoo.com

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2v0mx5p9w7osjxa/AAAKXDxyW4CKjxEYNLVrv0Fca?dl=0

He has also expressed an interest in upscaling the items to 1/32 which is the actual reason for this post :)

Stonking stuff for a very nearly thirty year old Hasegawa kit in 1/48 I'm sure but I, for one, am hoping the OOB 1/32 FG.1/FGR.2 will be at least as good (there being no need for a full engine IMHO) without going anywhere near polyurethane resin.

What will most likely be *needed* are some of the more esoteric stores and alternative decals, plus the usual array of interior etch.

The thing that will make my day is when HGW or Eduard announce etched buckles + fabric straps for Martin Baker seats.

Tony