New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

There can never be enough large scale model Phantoms. That said, yes, get the B/N manufactured. However, we really need a purpose built low vis US Marine Corps F-4S with decals from a great decal manufacturer! We also need the RF-4B done in 32nd. The 32nd scale USAF Phantoms are already overdone & we USMC Phantom Phans only have the F-4J. Still, I would love for you to produce some large scale USN/USMC Phantoms with TPS markings. There are WAY TOO MANY colorful Phantom decals flooding the market. Very, very few low vis Phantom markings out there. The B/N can have the colors but the late J & S are just sexy in their low vis schemes that have been neglected in 32nd scale. Don't waste the time on the Spey powered foreign Phantoms. Thank you. 

I'll bet you that British and colourfully marked F-4's in general will sell at least more than 20 -1 to any low viz F-4's out there on the market! 

They're far more interesting, and that's probably why low viz markings aren't so prevalent out there.

You can't beat what people want in reality, as frustrating as it is for anyone that wants something different to what's available?

It's great news for the hobby, it's what modelers have been after for years after all! 

Best of luck with your wishes though.   

Edited by Royboy

There can never be enough large scale model Phantoms. That said, yes, get the B/N manufactured. However, we really need a purpose built low vis US Marine Corps F-4S with decals from a great decal manufacturer! We also need the RF-4B done in 32nd. The 32nd scale USAF Phantoms are already overdone & we USMC Phantom Phans only have the F-4J. Still, I would love for you to produce some large scale USN/USMC Phantoms with TPS markings. There are WAY TOO MANY colorful Phantom decals flooding the market. Very, very few low vis Phantom markings out there. The B/N can have the colors but the late J & S are just sexy in their low vis schemes that have been neglected in 32nd scale. Don't waste the time on the Spey powered foreign Phantoms. Thank you. 

You do realise, don't you, that there is a separate thread on the proposed new B/N Phantom, where you could have posted your enthusiastic comments and wishes ... without polluting this thread with the negative comments about the Spey-powered variants??

There are quite a few people, including me, who don't think they are a "waste of time" ... :BANGHEAD2:

I didn't "pollute" anything. I'm not for offending anyone with mal-intent, however, I'm not here to always be politically correct & always talk about rainbows & unicorns just to make everyone else happy who doesn't respect varying opinion. I'm not here to toot my own horn, but I've seen the elephant probably more than most here & I know all too well about the joy of not taking positive thoughts for granted. That doesn't mean one pollutes your dream of British Phantoms of becoming reality. Simply skip over my "pollution" if you think what I said was "pollution" & in contrary to your dominance. Don't take what I said personally & don't try to police the threads of contrasting opinion.

Please contact me via PM if you would like to further discuss this matter. That is all, carry on. 

Mods: Please forgive me if I violated any rules/regulations by trampling on anyone's sensitivities. 

Masterguns

Edited by MGySgt0372

I think the length of the thread and the enthusiastic comments throughout are pretty well indicative of the level of interest in British Phantoms.  I really don't see them being a "waste of time" in any way.

As cool as they are, it's a historical fact that low-viz USMC Phantoms have *no* combat history whatsoever.  And low-viz, by definition, isn't nearly as colorful as earlier schemes.

Actually that's not true. Semantics, I know, but the F-4S family was created by modifying select F-4Js as I'm certain you are already aware. Many of these J models did have plenty of stick time over the hostile skies of North Vietnam. They just got a more drab paint job after about 1981 or so. 

Masterguns

Sorry mate, unless it's in metallic blue and gold like the Naval 75th Anniversary F-4S, that mark has little appeal - just shades of TPS mushroom. But you can use the GT slat set with a Tamiya J (they're doing a specific slat set for that subtype) and you're in business.

Now, a late 1960s/early 1970s grey & white VMCJ RF-4B as a spin-off from the F-4B/N kit would be very welcomed. Later.

The Spey Toom is way up there on the want list and this thread is testimony to that. Your comments are as valid as anyone else's and I wouldn't describe them as polluting, but myopic most definitely.

Tony

You implied that Spey Phantoms were a waste of time simply because you personally have no interest in them.  That is a patently untrue statement.  Lots (and lots, and lots) of people have a great deal of interest in them.  Could have been expressed differently and more effectively, that's all.

Yes, Jennings.I do appreciate the vigor & happiness this announcement is bringing so many fellow modelers. I understand where you & PhilM are coming from. And, you're correct, I could have & should have been more tactful in my commentary. The British Phantoms are just as over looked in 32nd as the F-4B/N & my beloved S model. Now it appears we can all be happy once these hit the shelves. For the record, I'm not just pushing for low vis F-4S. I like the other older colorful Marine & Navy B/N too. I just want someone to at least release some low viz markings for the S that I can use a conversion set to build. 

Masterguns

Sorry mate, unless it's in metallic blue and gold like the Naval 75th Anniversary F-4S, that mark has little appeal - just shades of TPS mushroom. But you can use the GT slat set with a Tamiya J (they're doing a specific slat set for that subtype) and you're in business.

Now, a late 1960s/early 1970s grey & white VMCJ RF-4B as a spin-off from the F-4B/N kit would be very welcomed. Later.

The Spey Toom is way up there on the want list and this thread is testimony to that. Your comments are as valid as anyone else's and I wouldn't describe them as polluting, but myopic most definitely.

Tony

See above, Tony.

Agreed. I think EVERYONE has the right to express their opinions...........especially on a place like LSP.  However, I also have to agree that not having an interest in something does not make it a waste of time from a production standpoint.

My opinion as a Yank, is I think the look, (dont care much for low viz myself; a bit boring to me - but again thats just opinion), schemes, and overall appearance of the Brit tooms is really wonderful, and I will DEFINITELY be picking up one of these from HKM.

Yes, Jennings.I do appreciate the vigor & happiness this announcement is bringing so many fellow modelers. I understand where you & PhilM are coming from. And, you're correct, I could have & should have been more tactful in my commentary. The British Phantoms are just as over looked in 32nd as the F-4B/N & my beloved S model. Now it appears we can all be happy once these hit the shelves. For the record, I'm not just pushing for low vis F-4S. I like the other older colorful Marine & Navy B/N too. I just want someone to at least release some low viz markings for the S that I can use a conversion set to build. 

Masterguns

And my use of the word "polluting" probably came across as more confrontational than I intended to be; apologies for that.

And my use of the word "polluting" probably came across as more confrontational than I intended to be; apologies for that.

No worries, Phil. I apologize, too, for making the comment in the first place. I understand now that it was a bit insensitive for me to make the comment regardless of where I stand with my opinion because folks such as yourself have been waiting way too long to get a Spey variant that is an important part of Phantom history as well. 

Masterguns

RAF roundels (anche the Brit grey) makes this bird so beautiful... I really love this bad guy!

0573416.jpg

Hope some aftermarket dude will be printing off this decal sheet :punk:

You can already pick it up.

The sheet from the Wild hare set is available still I believe through meteor ie Dave Klaus which has 11 aircraft for 70 bucks.

Great schemes and pretty good value considering the price of some 2-4 scheme sheets these days.

Some excellent schemes including this one.

Edited by Darren Howie