New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

Excellent news! I have been planning on hacking the Tamiya F4J into something similar to an FG1 for many a year now, so will now cancel that. I can spend the wait on the Echelon Lightning, or the Revell/Fisher Hunter T8. Happy days!!

Clarkeeboy do the Echelon lightning and start a thread. I've built a load of these kits and I'd like to see your take on it.

You'll enjoy it.

Dave

Clarkeeboy do the Echelon lightning and start a thread. I've built a load of these kits and I'd like to see your take on it.

You'll enjoy it.

Dave

Nice idea Dave (what I wouldn't give for an Echelon Lightning (or Hunter) kit :) ).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

All of our aircraft "Gulfstream" have a mechanical centering lock internal to the strut. When the aircraft is weight off nose wheels it is not possible to move the nose wheels out of centered position. It is true that often the NWS will not track true without pilot input and we have had many occasions when NWS was engaged when the centering lock disengaged that the aircraft has veered hard left or right . We had an aircraft in Spain a few weeks ago that was taxing slowly in extreme rain and the pilot lost his bearing on the taxiway and jammed on the brakes and blew all 4 main tires. The tires are multi ply but not impervious to abuse!

Thank those Gulfstream tyres need some work.

Our Airbus and 787 tyres take quite a pounding particularly nose wheels.

The A-320's frequently land with nose wheels out of Center which causes a lot of wear and decentering.

All our aircraft have anti skid so lock ups are not an issue.

The Jumbo has a reputation for Nosewheel steering alignment issues.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-338/0021016/L/

Our tyres are double layered steel belts so made to rake a pounding!

Good news Barry. I was in touch with Tommy a few years back and passed him all my F-111B photo stock. He flew FG.1s at McAir as a flight test engineer.

There are a number of shape or detail issues in existing kits, including the "flat" area aft of the NLG bay which actually is v-shaped in cross section, the lack of a tie-back hold point under the rear fuselage on cat-capable marks, and so forth.

Really looking forward to this beast.

Tony

Doubtful. They are still in the process of recreating the Focke Wulf 190 family tree in 1/32, last time I heard. The Phantom series is all quarter inch to the foot sized.

Tony

That's not what I heard, 32-scale. But I've been wrong before.

Monogram captured that 'v' keel on their 1/48 kits, as did Academy. Just didn't expect Academy to mess up the empennage. One reason why I'll await the Z-M offering before investing in any more 1/48 Phantoms.

Hasegawa missed it, and my Tamiya J is buried too deep in the stash to pull it to find out. (edit: Tamiya does portray the keel correctly).

Given Revell's general simplifications, I'd not expect it there either..

Edited by LSP_Typhoonattack

This could get very interesting, since ZM has announced a Phantom and speculation has it that the kit will be a B. :hmmm:

Hey guys ... I don't know that much about post WWII jets ... so no idea what production type this Phantom will be from the photo's ... but from the blog mentioned below - they're starting with the 'J-type' and are ready to produce the entire series.

Doubtful. They are still in the process of recreating the Focke Wulf 190 family tree in 1/32, last time I heard. The Phantom series is all quarter inch to the foot sized.

Tony

... and I can't wait for those 190's to hit the market!! ...

That's not what I heard, 32-scale. But I've been wrong before.

No ... actually, it is 1/48 Bill ... In what appears to be a break from normal ZM policy of doing it in 1/32 and then re-releasing in 1/48 

I you look at the 'Old Man Blog' No.69 here from the IPMS Nationals in Ohio, it gets a mention and a prototype photo if you scroll about halfway down the page.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_069.html

Interestingly ... if you scroll about a quarter of the way down ... you see a bunch of museum shots ... one of a Beaufighter with the comments:

"Heyyyy! I want this baby too!!! ... Someday we'll make a kit!!" ... Oh, if only!!! :D

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Monogram captured that 'v' keel on their 1/48 kits, as did Academy. Just didn't expect Academy to f**k up the empennage. One reason why I'll await the Z-M offering before investing in any more 1/48 Phantoms.

Hasegawa missed it, and my Tamiya J is buried too deep in the stash to pull it to find out. (edit: Tamiya does portray the keel correctly).

Given Revell's general simplifications, I'd not expect it there either..

What's 1/48th scale ? (Just kidding)

The v-keel is there on the Tamiya kits but it's too subtle IMHO, or maybe the FG.1 was more pronounced(?)

Will have to unearth the Yeovilton photos.

Tony

Edit: not yet found the Yeovilton pics. I took several close-ups of the (clamped) doubly-extending oleo so will continue looking.

Edited by Tony T

Back on thread, anyone know Tommy Thomasson ? He'd be able to answer the Q about the NLG leg angle.

Tony

It looks like you're correct, at least for the F-4K. According to a McAir drawing, its nose landing gear was raked aft by three degrees. I've added an illustration of the difference here using fuselage station information: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html

Some twenty sets being sold from Dunn Loring, VA.

Not available outside the USA, but if it was it would be £148 + £20 postage + £35 approx Customs duty and handling fee = >£200.

The "proper kit" from HKM will cost less and be better.

Tony