New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

A bit of a curve ball, but was the NLG strut on the FG.1 angled back a tad - might just be 1-1.5 degrees - to partly compensate for the doubly-extended oleo ?

Probably just my imagination running wild.

I know the MLG are canted inwards by a degree or so.

Tony

Looking at these photographs, it would appear that you are correct Tony.

Phantom+FG+Mk+1+%2528F-4K%2529+XT683.jpg

2146257.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hmmm... interesting!  Bears more investigation!  I can't see what that change got them though.

I would guess it has to do with geometry maintaining caster on the nose wheel when the double oleo extended.  It would be a real bugger to control with negative caster forcing the front wheel to want to do a 180.

The F-4 Nosewheel steering could be engaged or disengaged via a control column switch. It was normally engaged at the start of taxi until about 70kts in the take off roll.

If not engaged I am not sure if the entire system was disengaged or if it went into a centering or castering mode.

If it went into centering mode for towing etc either a gear pin or ability to disengage it would be needed.

If there was non centering mode I'm not sure what centering mechanism was used on retraction to ensure wheel alignment in the gear bay.

There are some great images on prime portal of the F-4K double scissor link set up when extended. Also the mechanical linkage from the pedals to the nose wheel steering/gear leg.

Edited by Darren Howie

A derelict US Navy / Marines bird, which shows angle of MLG legs - unfortunately too low res to help with a NLG comparison.

image_3.jpeg

(pic reproduced for educational purposes)

Tony

The lower portion of the NLG is angled back, but the leg appears perpendicular on other variants (pics drawn from the web for illustrative purposes only)...

image_4.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

Needs further investigation

Tony

edited for picture reduction

Edited by Tony T

Last thing I heard was of May this year, there were 2 Phantoms hangered at RAF Leuchars they were Black Mike and a grey camo FGR2. Now the Army has the base so I don't know what will happen to them but I think they are still there.

Graham

There are others a little more accessible than Leuchars. I took some shots of the Yeovilton FG.1 a few years ago, as have a few others here. Hendon and Duxford also are on view, but there was talk of a gaggle of LSP'ers crawling all over another Spey Phantom with camera, tape measure etc.

Tony

1/32?

Doubtful. They are still in the process of recreating the Focke Wulf 190 family tree in 1/32, last time I heard. The Phantom series is all quarter inch to the foot sized.

Tony

The F-4 nose gear is hydraulically steered, not castoring though...  I'd think the hydraulic pressure would be adequate to prevent unwanted castoring.  I love figuring out new stuff about this amazing girl all these years later!

Correct....the caster is accounted for in the lower piece that the axles are located on it angles aft with respect to the strut C/L and can be seen by referencing the axle C/L to that of the strut. Also when the gear is fully extended it is mechanically centered to ensure that the wheels are positioned straight ahead for touchdown. Once there is weight on wheels the mechanical center disengages allowing the Nose Wheel Steering collar to hold wheels centered. The last thing you would want would be for the wheels to be even slightly left or right of C/L on touchdown. If both tires did not blow immediately the ride would be most exciting!

Actually Barry aircraft land quite frequently with nose gear out of Center.

Friction quickly centres them with a fairly hard thud on touchdown.

There are frequent issues with nose gear systems keeping gear aligned. Frequent!

Occasionally a more substantial alignment issue can occur leading to loss of rubber and a fair bit of smoke.

Aviation tyres are pretty tough.

Actually Barry aircraft land quite frequently with nose gear out of Center.

Friction quickly centres them with a fairly hard thud on touchdown.

There are frequent issues with nose gear systems keeping gear aligned. Frequent!

Occasionally a more substantial alignment issue can occur leading to loss of rubber and a fair bit of smoke.

Aviation tyres are pretty tough.

All of our aircraft "Gulfstream" have a mechanical centering lock internal to the strut. When the aircraft is weight off nose wheels it is not possible to move the nose wheels out of centered position. It is true that often the NWS will not track true without pilot input and we have had many occasions when NWS was engaged when the centering lock disengaged that the aircraft has veered hard left or right . We had an aircraft in Spain a few weeks ago that was taxing slowly in extreme rain and the pilot lost his bearing on the taxiway and jammed on the brakes and blew all 4 main tires. The tires are multi ply but not impervious to abuse!