New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

6 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've just spoken with Neil on this topic, and the kit is definitely still in development, with an ETA of late this year or early next.

Kev

I'm in for one of every boxing. The naysayers can now get stuffed, my former pessimism included.

Tony 

Luca,

I could not disagree with you more.   Prices are not honest or dishonest, people are and then only in regard to a agreed upon moral code.  Dishonest selling is raising the price of items many times over their normal price of essential services or goods in an emergency situation like a pending hurricane or earthquake, etc thereby taking advantage of others forcing purchase at inflated prices under duress.   That is what is dishonest and in the US and in most countries there are laws to prevent the practice as it is an awful thing to do.   So you are right to be upset over dishonest pricing.  That however is not the case here.

Selling a non-essential item involving willing participants is normal business and normal human nature.  How else does business exist without profit?   It doesn’t.  Whatever a person is willing to pay in a  free exchange is not dishonest at all but completely fair and proper.  If in that process prices  take some buyers out of the market, so be it.   Those buyers may be mad,  but nether the seller or the buyer is dishonest.   Sometimes sellers loose money on items too, and those loses have to be covered by profits on other items or the business fails.  Meaning no disrespect for this simplified explaination, but this is how human commerce works.  

PS added the next day:   There is nothing wrong with not being able to afford everything that one wants, be it by choice or economic circumstance.   There is no shame in not being able to afford expensive things or in choosing not to buy based on the price.  Very, Very few people in the world can buy anything one wants while the rest of us have to consider the price.   

Edited by ghatherly

On 2/16/2019 at 12:56 AM, Dave Williams said:

I bought the set direct from CE and remember the price as being around $450.  Definitely over $400.

On 2/16/2019 at 4:23 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Me, too, and as I remember you are correct.

ok guys, so recapitulating the $465,00 USD price proposed by Gary for a GTR conversion set from the CE one (revised and corrected) would be good. I already gave my approval in this thread

If I well understand the only drawback would be the $ 200,00 USD pre-deposit that we could lose if production was not completed

Edited by Luca

I seriously doubt the Hong Kong Models F-4K/Ms will cost as much as £445 or €505 each, so isn't the conversion set topic dead? 

It's likely there will be a healthy demand for aftermarket, especially decals and underwing stores. 

Two of each, unlikely, although maybe if the first is a FAA F-4K. I reckon they will be sub £300 but not by much. As long as I'm alive that's about one a year.

Tony 

On 16 February 2019 at 4:48 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

I've just spoken with Neil on this topic, and the kit is definitely still in development, with an ETA of late this year or early next.

Kev

3 minutes ago, Luca said:

Tony, but there is no certainty that the kit will be released within a short time, could pass even 10 years for all we know

Qué?  Kev's interpretation is considerably sooner, and plenty enough time to get utterly sick of making Tamiya F-4Js so that you wouldn't even desire a conversion set. 

Tony 

13 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Does anyone have detailed informative on the auxiliary air door compartments:huh:? I have asked before but that was snowed under.

Cees

Sorry Cees, I did make a start on this earlier, but had hoped someone else might have posted something better in the meantime.

Sadly, despite having a few thousand Spey Phantom pics, this is the most informative upper aux air door one I have.

It's also a great photo of the Royal Navy's No7 Mk.1 36 x 2 inch three-tier rocket pods (note definitely NOT SNEB pods) which will be a unique load for Brit Phantoms. RAF Phantoms often did carry 2 x SNEB 68mm two-tier 24 shot pods on their inner pylons, but the fibreglass construction made them unsafe for carrier ops, which is why Falkland War Harriers are seen with the RN metal rocket pods rather than the SNEB pods they routinely carried in Europe. Hopefully HKM will include at least six of these and all crisply moulded in their FAA boxings. In smaller scales they can be problematic to mould. But I digress... 

47086473812_377f80a9c8_o.jpg

Apart from the fuselage frames and the red interior colour, there's not much else to see.

The manual provides a bit more detail with the door position switch and actuator and hydraulic line runs in the drawings, but little would be visible from most exterior viewing angles.

40173796973_378c264ff7_o.jpg

What would be more visible would be the upper body of the Spey engine, just where it goes into divergent mode before the afterburner chamber.

The blue lines on the pictures below represent units of visible exterior jet nozzle length, firstly on the airframe, and secondly on the engine itself.

The red arrowed line on the second photo indicates from where the visible aft portion of the jet nozzle starts, with aft to the right.

40173793083_86d0bee05d_o.jpg

40173795433_8701afc7c1_o.jpg

The third picture below shows the continuation of the engine body, but note that I've horizontally flipped it so that aft is on the right for the sake of continuity, and the pipework and accessories on the lower side are not necessarily a representation of what would be seen from underneath.

46415045044_2a6b6243f5_o.jpg

Given the high temperature environment, I doubt there's much more to see in there.

Hope that's of some help.