New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

Indeed Kev - I've seen nothing yet to indicate that the HK kit isn't going to materialise - so my hopes are on seeing that at some point.

I steered clear of the Wild Hare kit when announced as it's resin overkill - in my humble opinion.

I started to work on a conversion - back in 2013 - and had scoped out what needed to be done to convert the Tamiya F-J to the F-4K/M variants - a multi-media approach - but using some modern techniques. Through some good friends on here I've seen the possibilities/technology move forward - and more convinced a mutli-media conversion is doable.

Through the very kind offices of a third party I was offered access to a number of airframes - in various states of disassembly - in order to get all the dimensions/shapes needed.

Plans changed when we were made aware of the proposed kit. The data that Derek and I obtained was passed on - but I've heard nothing recently.

*If* the HK kit doesn't materialise I *may* resurrect what I was planning as a conversion - but this depends on my day job and what happens to the UK at the end of March.

I am currently working on a possible first release from Aeronut - but it's not for the Phantom - that's just between us, eh?  ;)

And, yes, I will dig the Lightning stuff out again.

Iain

12 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

And, yes, I will dig the Lightning stuff out again.

Iain

Good news on the Phantom, obvs, but especially so on the Lightning.

I haven't seen an Echelon kit for sale for years now, and I need at least another two Lightnings.

Lightning models that actually look somewhat like Lightnings, that is.

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As far as I'm aware, the HK Models kit is not dead, but I'll see if I can get word from the horse's mouth.

That would be awesome. I have built no 32nd Phantom yet, but a FG.1/K would be HIGH on my list. 

11 hours ago, timvkampen said:

It is a strange way to operate: destroy what is of potential tremendous value. I read that the legacy PE/Resin/Books company Verlinden also finished business. There were no interested parties to buy it (or parts of the valuables (goodwill, masters etc), so they closed shop and destroyed the remaining stock and masters...a crying shame.

No, not true at all; Izzet (from Lots of Models), bought all of the Verlinden molds.

3 hours ago, Lee White said:

Actually, yes, at least that's what he himself told us (Shawn, Daniel and I) here at a show this last September. I recall the story and photos of them loading them all into dumpsters, as many of us undoubtedly do, but Izzet assured us that he made a deal to buy all of the master molds they had, and currently sells over 40 pages of his stuff, almost all in-stock, with more to be released when and as the need arrives. 

This seems apropos not to mention germane to the subject.

Posted on Ron Downey's blog, F-4K Phantom II External Access Doors a supplementary manual showing panels and numbers for the Spey Phantom FG1.

The more comprehensive manual covering the major USAF.USN types is available here

Although I've said it before, I'll say it again: I can't recommend Ron's blog too highly. He often posts gems such as the couple referenced here.

5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Actually, yes, at least that's what he himself told us (Shawn, Daniel and I) here at a show this last September. I recall the story and photos of them loading them all into dumpsters, as many of us undoubtedly do, but Izzet assured us that he made a deal to buy all of the master molds they had, and currently sells over 40 pages of his stuff, almost all in-stock, with more to be released when and as the need arrives. 

As far as I know (there were discussions among Belgian modellers about that situation some time ago), they destroyed the molds, some assembled kits, dioramas, boxes and tons of other things but not the most valuable assets: the masters...!

41 minutes ago, Luca said:

any chance to get the CE conversion at a reasonable price now that HKM has announced that it will make a plastic kit?

Most of the people who might buy the set probably don’t even know that HKM had even announced a kit, and based on this thread, many of those who do know don’t believe a kit is likely to come out soon, or even ever.  I don’t see prices dropping until a kit actually hits the shelves.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Most of the people who might buy the set probably don’t even know that HKM had even announced a kit, and based on this thread, many of those who do know don’t believe a kit is likely to come out soon, or even ever.  I don’t see prices dropping until a kit actually hits the shelves.

Yes you will see the CE set come down some, but really so few were made it may hold most of it's value as a collectors item.   As for my estimate of a new set price, it ia based on hard numbers with no profit built in.  

So, after another excursion around the teddy bears' picnic garden, we have determined that:

a/ a conversion set for the Tamiya J is not viable for 2019, if ever again  

b/ the CE Wild Hare set is really just a rare unaffordable collector's item with a few errors of its own 

c/ we still don't know the status of the formerly announced HKM kit 

In the absence of this RAF Phantom icon, the Kitty Hawk Jaguars and any other 1/32 Cold War era jets I'm skipping back to 1/48 pending Iain's Lightning updates. Revell have just repopped the FGR.2, Airfix are repopping the Sea Vixen, and that's plenty for this year. 

But I would switch back in a moment if and when HKM has anything positive to tell us.

Tony