New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

I got so close to getting one of those , CE died around the same time as my payment was clearing... I still  don't know if I'd have actually have built the model even if I had received it, decisions, Decisions...

Take care of that set ,

I have a terrible feeling that its the closest any of us are going to get to a 32nd Brit Phantom...

Edited by Scotsman

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

I dot so close to getting one of those , CE died around the same time as my payment was clearing... I still  don't know if I'd have actually built the model even if I had received it, decisions, Decisions...

Take care of that set ,

I have a terrible feeling that its the closest any of us are going to get to a 32nd Brit Phantom...

I got mine via Ron Dobrezeleki back then. I also ordered, paid, but no clearance...and no kit. However, I am pondering to sell it as I think someone else should have this. 

Again, maybe one day ZM would do it. But I think they stick to 48 for the masses on this one. How many would a company need to sell to break even? I have no idea.

I still have my CE conversion and thought about selling it many times when eBay prices were pushing $1000, but still grimly hung on to it. The main thing that bothers me about it is the exhausts, in that they are solid behind the inner nozzle so it looks like a small diameter tube in the middle of a larger diameter exhaust.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I still have my CE conversion and thought about selling it many times when eBay prices were pushing $1000, but still grimly hung on to it. The main thing that bothers me about it is the exhausts, in that they are solid behind the inner nozzle so it looks like a small diameter tube in the middle of a larger diameter exhaust.

If you follow the original builder, Frank Mitchell, this can be easily modified. Not really the issue here I think. I've seen prices over a 1000 USD (2500 USD was the highest)...and although I really hope Jennings is right, it will still be away for many many years. The same applies to a discussion started about the Kityhawk Streak and Flash which were to follow the Sabre Dog...I also worked with KH to supply data but ...that was 2013-2014....and we are in 2019.

I do think we have been very spoiled with all these great kits, so there is enough other work to be done. Anyway, I may be persuaded to sell the Brit anyway as I am not going to build it. 

11 minutes ago, timvkampen said:

If you follow the original builder, Frank Mitchell, this can be easily modified. Not really the issue here I think. I've seen prices over a 1000 USD (2500 USD was the highest)...and although I really hope Jennings is right, it will still be away for many many years. The same applies to a discussion started about the Kityhawk Streak and Flash which were to follow the Sabre Dog...I also worked with KH to supply data but ...that was 2013-2014....and we are in 2019.

I do think we have been very spoiled with all these great kits, so there is enough other work to be done. Anyway, I may be persuaded to sell the Brit anyway as I am not going to build it. 

I don’t follow Frank, so I don’t know that it can easily be modified.

Airfix doing the 1/32 version of the Brit Phantom!!

Repeat after me.. Airfix Don't do 1/32 Aircraft , never have , never will.. they decided, so I read years ago that too many manufacturers were in 32 already , hence the interest in 1/24th .. so no luck there .. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!

Edited by Scotsman

There are some*** subjects which are just so must-do that having a copy in every available double-digit scale is fun.

So, I've been getting the following:

***these...........1/72............1/48................1/32 

Su-33................Zvevda........Kinetic............Tan Model ? 

Buccaneer........Airfix...........Tan Model?.... ------- 

F-4K..................Airfix............RevelloGawa...HK Models ?

I gave away a 1/48 Revell-Hasegawa FGR.2 a few years ago thinking it was redundant but am now in the process of buying two replacements and necessary resin as it looks increasingly to be the biggest game in town in my lifetime. Z-M have so screwed up the rear and forward fuselage/canopy on their F-4s that I don't put any faith in a Spey from them.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
erratum

6 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Ohhhh, not again:doh:

If I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell those three carrierborne jets would come out in 1/32 before I snuff it the smaller scale editions wouldn't interest me.  But the prices do: from £25 for 1/72 to £50 for 1/48 to around £200+ for 1/32. 

I can see the pull of the CE F-4K conversion for the Tamiya J, but it's simply too rich for me at £500-1200. And 1/32 is suddenly getting very, very expensive, with £175-£350 kits starting to become normal and acceptable. 

Tony