New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I hope so. I am thinking that Lanc took far more resources than a P-51 or J2M, and don't forget that the Mossie and Do335 were also HKM products so those didn't help them much, either as HKM were in each case not considered the best pick, although I consider their Do335 a better choice.

Ray, both of your posts are right on the money..... Cash or in Some cases the lack of it.  Profitable CASH FLOW is the lifeblood of any company,  and not having enough,  even with the best designs and the best projects bring things to a screeching halt.   The Lancaster issue may be such an issue here as sone have mentioned.   I know many have questioned me when I share what it costs to bring our products to market at the large amounts,  producing an injection kit is in another league.   We started out doing what everyone wanted, but as it turned out  half of them were financial looser, 3/8 broke even and 1/8 made real money.   A few have exceed our wildest dreams, the F-4B Super set comes to mind.  IF someone wold have told me 6 years ago we would have made and sold close to 600 kits, I would have asked what they were smoking/Drinking, but we have.  

You mentioned ZM.  Both they and Wnw have been very successful.  The reason is big time capital investment behind each one at startup,  strict discipline in operating, and clear product branding in the marketplace.   ZM has investment from the Doll business and Wnw from a wealthy owner who is a businessman.  In both cases they set sup professional companies, hired the best in-house people, used consultants effectively, and were able together it right from the beginning by focusing on a particular area of interest and creating BRANDS.   In the case of ZM,  the decision to release the F-4 in 1/48 I am sure was to generate profitable cash flow for the 1/32 F-4 and other projects.    I would GUESS,  as I don''t know,  that budget limits and consumption of it were the reason for the pause in the FW-190 project.  IT is a huge project with what 7-10 kits???  Once the original budget was used, the project may have been put on hold until cash was available to re-start in that project.  Now this is PURELY just my speculation but knowing the costs involved it is a logical conclusion.

It is easy to get negative in operating any business.  IF money is an issue, things don't go well,  you are isolated away and maybe have no others to share with, things can go down hill very fast.  That is a whole other topic for another time.

Ya'll have a great night.   I am getting really close to finishing up my Tamiya F-4G build so back to the shop.

GH

Edited by ghatherly

On 1/28/2019 at 2:15 AM, ghatherly said:

IN the mean time,   I am getting ready to Start MY Cutting Edge FGR. project.  Any suggestions on which way to go with a 1 or a 2 ?????

Gary

FGR2, in proper colours: either 56 Sqn as an interceptor, or 2 Sqn, "loaded for bear" with a recce pod and other stuff. 

If it's any consolation, it isn't just in our world that delays to an announced product happen.  MrsC and I eagerly read Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies, and have been waiting ever since for the third volume in Thomas Cromwell's story.  https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jul/05/hilary-mantel-says-final-wolf-hall-book-unlikely-to-come-out-in-2018-as-planned

On 1/28/2019 at 4:39 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

I’ve pretty much given up on HK.  He’s spent so much time, money, effort, blood, sweat, and tears on the Lancaster, to the total detriment of a BUNCH of other projects (some of which haven’t even been announced), I’m not sure any of them will ever see the light of day.  He’s had a lot of problems with CAD designers being flaky on him, that I know.  But there are clearly other problems there as well.  My last three emails to Neil have gone unanswered over a period of many months.

Clearly if Jennings’ emails don’t get answered it must signal the end

:m0152:

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Clearly if Jennings’ emails don’t get answered it must signal the end

:m0152:

I don't think Jennings is self-aggrandizing; rather, he is suggesting that Neil is behaving uncharacteristically and possibly on a serious downer — hardly a laughing matter. 

Frankly, HKM might be better downscaling to 1/48. Would make far more business sense, and be less angst ridden if he avoids American fighter jets which get the red line annotating brigade super agitated. He wouldn't be far off the mark with a 1/48 Avro Vulcan.

Tony 

35 minutes ago, Tony T said:

.....he is suggesting that Neil is behaving uncharacteristically and possibly on a serious downer — hardly a laughing matter. 

I'm in regular contact and have had nothing telling me he's on a serious downer etc.

My contact is as regular as it has been for the last years, plus he has just had a well-earned holiday.

16 minutes ago, JamesHatch said:

I'm in regular contact and have had nothing telling me he's on a serious downer etc.

My contact is as regular as it has been for the last years, plus he has just had a well-earned holiday.

Good news, and very pleased to hear it.

23 hours ago, PhantomPhixer 892 said:

Thanks Iain, You're not far from me, I'm in Somerset. ......

Can I invite you along to one of our Wiltshire Modellers  meetings then? Iain and I, and a few others here are members, 3rd Thursday of the month, Pewsey Community Centre, 7.30pm? You would be more than welcome!

Tim

I fear that Tim’s been sniffing a bit too much of the resin fumes, as when I attend I go to the Pewsham Community Centre, Lodge Road, Chippenham, SN15 3SY.  Maybe there is a club in Pewsey too but I think you’d be seeing different people there. We do meet from 7.30PM onwards though.

As a veteran of a few model clubs, this is definitely one of the best I’ve attended.  Big range of talented people and everyone is very friendly.

Edited by Wegener

I dove into the stash today and decided to take a few pictures of the old Cutting Edge (WHA) Brit Phantom conversion. I do think it was a brave effort back then. Some of the parts needs some TLC for sure and you have to add the bits and pieces from the F-4J donor kit. 

I never got to build (perhaps I won't and sell it), but the kit could surely be a basis to work from for any company seriously considering issuing this iconic jet. This post just an impression of the parts, the second the decals (also a work of art).

314A649C-98C5-43BE-B0A3-35FC9612ADDD.jpe

7BA4822F-A803-4961-BB03-40EF87815CB6.jpe

C49BA26A-9FD0-4785-8CF6-C7F7CB196233.jpe

0A1E01B5-D9E4-4F90-9757-375EEB5A614D.jpe

04098D60-20A4-4CB8-8C8D-DA138D2EB55D.jpe

54369FAD-0DF2-4CDF-8D97-2420A571D655.jpe

924F354E-18F7-4276-8E88-4663D679690A.jpe

E4116E45-A41A-4750-AB5E-64EABFF4FA6D.jpe

A173F516-7169-459A-B666-0D8A3B21A65F.jpe