New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

It is a chicken and egg issue! 

Either, as a company, you work on your own with your internal resources and you will keep the secret. BUT the probability is high that some problems will only be detected after the release. Either you use external consultants/experts/reviewers and it is quite obvious no secret will be reasonably kept from the process beginning. Accuracy will be higher but prospects and customers will be fed up with the wait. Chose your evil! 

14 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Dead? Why? Because it has not yet been released or because there is no new information regarding the release? Sorry but both cases do not give either the proof or even a clue this has been shelved. Such a project takes years and HK has not resources without limits. Wait and see. 

Communication isn't difficult though, and is critical to any business maintaining a relationship with its customers.  How long would it take HKM to release a snippet  of information on the current progress of this kit?  I mean, really?  

When I spoke to Neil of HK Models at Telford last year he seemed pretty upbeat that the Phantom would be released in 2019.

Let's be patient and wait for the update to arrive. I'm sure the wait will be well worth it in the end!  

Who says a company has to communicate with his customers? I know this now seems obvious in our world of network and communication but, very frankly, this is just a business choice!

Does WnW announce all their kits? No. Does Tamiya announce their kits? No.

But in both cases, such companies do not communicate that much their releases or rely on the modelling community. In the best case, they have some very selected partners.

We are disturbed because we know a company is working on a topic and not communicating regularly. This is frustrating but we have to live with that... ;-)

I love you guys, but some of you need to get a life.

Tamiya is a large company, and has resources to develop products on a regular basis. You can't compare their business practices to something that sounds like it's held together with spit and bailing wire. Yes, it was perhaps not the best thing for HK Models to announce a kit and then find out they can't pull it off in a reasonable time. There is probably a book that some of you can write about the behind-the-scenes maneuvering, etc.

So in the meantime, go finish the kits in your stash, find some new kits to build or take up a second hobby.

I wish Tamiya would release a BoB Spitty or an updated F-14. But if they don't get around to it, I will live on and be happy.

Edited by Bill Cross
seeking clarity

2 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

I love you guys, but some of you need to get a life.

Tamiya is a large company, and has resources to develop products on a regular basis. You can't compare their business practices to something that sounds like it's held together with spit and bailing wire. Yes, it was perhaps not the best thing for HK Models to announce a kit and then find out they can't pull it off in a reasonable time. There is probably a book that some of you can write about the behind-the-scenes maneuvering, etc.

So in the meantime, go finish the kits in your stash, find some new kits to build or take up a second hobby.

I wish Tamiya would release a BoB Spitty or an updated F-14. But if they don't get around to it, I will live on and be happy.

Bill, I disagree.  I'm buying a book series named "Annals of the deep sky" (it's an Astronomy title).  The publisher is a small publisher, and there are only 2 authors.  They have a facebook page with regular updates on where they are with the books (there's currently Six volumes released, but we're only a 1/3 through the constellations, so there's probably at least another 15 volumes to come...).  If they can manage to communicate, then HK Models can too.  

37 minutes ago, dpastern said:

They have a facebook page with regular updates on where they are with the books (there's currently Six volumes released, but we're only a 1/3 through the constellations, so there's probably at least another 15 volumes to come...).  If they can manage to communicate, then HK Models can too.  

I agree that HKM should communicate better.

I should eat less fat, lose weight and exercise more. ;)

I guess my point is that HKM is what they is, and it's a waste of breadth and bandwidth for us to rake them over verbal coals. If the descriptions of their operations are what has been shared here, then there ain't going to be no FB page, no updates, and probably no Phantom, at least not in a timely manner.

The good news is: there are SO MANY GREAT KITS COMING OUT. I can't imagine anyone here who will be horribly cheated by life if they never get an RAF Phantom. Just sayin'.

49 minutes ago, dpastern said:

Bill, I disagree.  I'm buying a book series named "Annals of the deep sky" (it's an Astronomy title).  The publisher is a small publisher, and there are only 2 authors.  They have a facebook page with regular updates on where they are with the books (there's currently Six volumes released, but we're only a 1/3 through the constellations, so there's probably at least another 15 volumes to come...).  If they can manage to communicate, then HK Models can too.  

Looks like a real interesting series, so thanks for that.

I worry that HKM put their heart and soul, and money, into that Lanc to make it their signature piece then WNW announced theirs and hurt sales at least enough to make it hurt and question their strategy and they are now trying to re-think and recover. We just have to wait and see where that takes them.

Cant think that Ray,

Zoukei Mura has had multiple subjects released by other companies around the same time - the P-51, J2M, Skyraider, Do335 all off the top of my head - and is still thriving with more and more impressive releases.   HK and Tamiya brought out the mosquitos around the same time as well. I have no doubt HK will be fine.

I hope so. I am thinking that Lanc took far more resources than a P-51 or J2M, and don't forget that the Mossie and Do335 were also HKM products so those didn't help them much, either as HKM were in each case not considered the best pick, although I consider their Do335 a better choice.

I feel for HKM. They have (apparently) poured a lot of resources into the Lanc, including some significant re-work during this time. Then WNW announce their Lanc. 

It must feel like a real kick in the danglies. And then we flame them for not delivering the Phantom. I guess they need to pause to see how their Lanc investment is paying off.

If I was HKM, I would want to curl up in a dark hole somewhere and not come out again, ever. So, credit to them for launching some good kits, I fervently wish them well and that they will continue to release kits.

I can wait for the Phantom. Just let me know when it's ready.