New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dead? Why? Because it has not yet been released or because there is no new information regarding the release? Sorry but both cases do not give either the proof or even a clue this has been shelved. Such a project takes years and HK has not resources without limits. Wait and see. 

Have to ask, what is the purpose of announcing a kit if three years later there is nothing to show for it?  

If it’s to get people interested, that’s great, but as time goes on people keep asking with no new information, that interest wains and people lose confidence in a company’s future releases.  If it’s to call “dibs” so no other manufacturer starts on one, what’s the statue of limitations on that?  If two more years elapse with no change, is another manufacturer allowed to give it a go, or will they be accused of “stealing” someone else’s kit?  It’s true that companies don’t owe us anything with regards to letting us know of what their upcoming releases are, or have to tell us their schedule, but people are people, and if you announce something that people want and don’t deliver in a time many people seem reasonable, there will be questions.  That’s human nature.

Personally, I don’t think a company should announce a product unless they have a plan and the resources to get it out in 18 months maximum.

Well stated Dave I fully agree with your comments.

It is disappointing to have such an eagerly waited announcement made and then just be left in the wilderness regarding updates.

Would it really be so difficult for someone within the HKM team to provide an update?

HKM's announcement put paid to the release of the planned resin conversion, yet here we are 3 1/2 years later and none the wiser.

How about it then HKM hiw about putting some thought and effort into an update, after all we are your market - for now?

Guys ,  don't beat up HK...things don't always go as well as  planned.  It takes years to get a kit ready for production, but I agree that until the test molds are signed off on that these speculative announcements would be better kept in-house.  I do wan to say though that some new product errors have been spotted in release of CAD renderings and fixes implemented by the manufacturer.  The 1/48 F-15 plastic GWH issue a few years back is the example that comes to mind.   Did not the HK Lancaster have a similar situation? Enourmous time can be put into a kit to get everything perfect, and you miss something such as the slight fuselage issue in the ZM F-4's.   Not a deal breaker by any means but I personally was involved in that kit development and tknow the tremendous amount of work and chasing and rechecking that the ZM Guys did to get that kit ready, but he issue was not spotted until kits were in the sales pipeline to be adjusted for on the Long Nose versions out later this year.

I say this as I myself have over promised on somethings that in all honesty I should have been able to get out but for a variety of reasons did not.   Now I don't say a word...When it gets to Sprue Brothers it is available.  

Kevin is in touch with the fellows at HK so if they still say it is coming then we take them at there word.  No one has any skin in the game with a pre order type situation so no harm done if talk is all that ever happens as a west case.

IN the mean time,   I am getting ready to Start MY Cutting Edge FGR. project.  Any suggestions on which way to go with a 1 or a 2 ?????

OH well back to Counterpart.

Gary

Well, HK models is a small, boutique model kit manufacturer.  R&D costs money, and I bet they don't make a huge profit from existing kit releases either.  So, money will dictate development of new kits and things will take time.

Still, announcing a kit and then 3 years later there's no new news isn't very good PR imho.  

HK models would have been far better off delaying an announcement of the kit until they were well along in development imho.  

that is not good news, but oh well. Then maybe ZM could scale up its kits? Anyway,  I was looking at the CE kit and despite shortcomings it is a decent try. Kittyhawk by the way also announced kits that never materialized (Thunderstreak, Thunderflash)...but there is enough to build!!

Agree. Have given up on quite a few desperately wanted 1/32 Cold War jets as never-happening, including this HKM F-4K/M Phantom and the KH Thunderstreak, Thunderflash and Jaguar — although I still hold out vague hope for the Tan Model 1/32 Su-33 Sea Flanker. C'mon Baris, you could release the canopy parts as a special upgrade kit for the old Trumpeter Flanker B. 

Have two Revell repops of the Hasegawa 1/48 FGR Mk.2 on pre-order and will load up on Hypersonic and Alleycat extras: canopy frames, slotted tail and inlets. Already bought some 892 NAS FAA decals and will look for a new K noseleg (not the SAG SAC set made from soldering metal).

I wish HKM well but it's time to move on on the Phantom 2 front: I now believe the definitive 1/32 McBoeing-Doogie F-4 series will come from Zoukei-Mura, after my time on this blue orb.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
too early in the morning