Turnbuckles

WNW have the 2 types of "wire" (knicker elastic) on their website.

Also worth bearing in mind that WNW are not fans of turnbuckles, they recommend using a dab of glue to simulate.

Thanks Dean. I know that the various rigging wires varied in size but I can get EZ Line from Paul at Little cars. The snag is that it comes in 100 foot reels at £12 a pop so I wonder which of the two is best for the flying and landing wires in 1/32nd? I could guess maybe the heavier?

I also asked WNW about their thoughts on turnbuckles and they said exactly what you said - don't bother, use paint! I can see their point, there is virtually no change in section from aero to round at the terminal ends so you have to match the rigging with the turnbuckle maximum diameter - say 0.5mm - so that dictates the rigging size maybe?

There are clearly two schools of thought here - to use turnbuckles or not. I am tending to favour either Bobs Buckles type using 0.5mm tube or maybe Gas Patch but 1/48th instead of 1/32nd. The joys of modelling eh?

• 2 months later...

Still not happy about the rafwire options though!

Not sure if you have seen it before or it has been mentioned before, but give the stuff that Sir Peter recommends for Brit rigging, Prym "knittin in" thread:

msjph-_Ft7hTMjN4lKvTZPw.jpg

As it so happens, this stuff has a VERY consistently FLAT profile.  Dont get me wrong, I DO love EZ Line, and it too technically has a flat profile, but once stretched, just like the Uchi stuff, it appears much more rounded.

The Prym knitting elastic is VERY consistently flat, and also MUCH wider in profile than EZ Line.   Not too wide, but noticibly wider and flatter than anything else available. And IMHO, its a DREAM to rig up.

Also contrary to what some believe, this stuff is NOT your fathers underwear elastic!!!

I have rigged several planes now with the Prym that are approaching 6 years old, and they have 0 sag or stretch to them. I have planes I rigged with EZ Line that are approaching 10 years old, also with 0 sag.......................so dont let any nay-sayers try to get you to believe this stuff is just like underwear elastic and will sag or stretch over time,  trust me from experience; IT DOESN'T. PERIOD. 

Here is some shots of the flatter profile of the Prym stuff on my WnW DH-2. Another HUGE benifit to the Prym stuff IMHO, is it takes wonderfully to dye pens. I dyed my white Prym "cool gray":

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

Give the Prym stuff a shot, its actually a fairly decent representation of the flatter profile Brit rigging IMHO, and WAY easier than using much of anything else to rig with, as it doesn't break for ham-fisted people like me, and doesn't sag or stretch over time.

HTH

Thanks Brian !

Just a question. You already talked to me about the dye pen, better than the silver pens. But i was not really able to find out what it is exactly (in french !). Is it the kind of pen to write on cloths?

NP Nicolas...........I got mine from the local "Hobby Lobby", so not sure what the equivalent would be in France. However here is a pic of the dye pen I used:

ctfm-101.jpg

Here is a link with an explanation of them too:

https://www.createforless.com/fabricmate-dye-markers/plid114.aspx

"Description: FabricMate Dye Markers are a pen with fabric dye inside. Its unique dye requires no soda ash, steaming, or heat setting. The colors simply have to dry-24 hours, and the dyed fabric is ready for laundering or wearing. No mess. No clean-up. Use for coloring, dyeing and decorating on all fabrics. Slow drying for color-blending. Works great with transfers. Non-toxic."

You might be able to find them at a similar store in France

HTH

Edited by Out2gtcha