1/32nd Tamiya Corsair Mk.I- 732 NAS, Brunswick, USA, 1944 `Lake Sebago

Big Tony

Hiya Folks,

On the 16th May 1944 two Corsair`s from 732 NAS a training squadron based at HMS Sakar, Brunswick, USA took off for a training flight, these being JT132 flown by Sub. Lt. Vaughan Reginald Gill and JT160 flown by 19 year old Sub. Lt. Raymond Laurence Knott from Grantham in Lincolnshire. Over Lake Sebago they carried out some low level flying but appear to have collided and crashed into the water. Both pilots were unfortunately killed in the crash and due to the depth of the lake which in some areas is over 300 feet deep their bodies could not be recovered at the time so the pilots and their Corsair`s have rested near to each other on the lake bed ever since. A few years ago one of the Corsair`s was located and an RVU was sent down to discover JT160 in almost pristine condition barring the crash damage which appears to have ripped off both wings and the aircraft stands eerily straight up on its nose. The film has since been posted on U-Tube,....I did include a link here but I`ve removed it as it brought up a grisly image of the cockpit onto this post,...so I`ve deleted it. For those who wish to watch it do a Goggle search on `Lake Sebago Corsair' and you`ll find it, although I`d advise skipping the cockpit interior shots out of respect for the pilot and his family as Sub. Lt. Knott is still inside the aircraft and the film includes distasteful views inside the cockpit which I find utterly sick and they should never have been released in public. I have asked the poster to edit the film and I contacted the RVU company to ask them to remove a particularly grisly photo of the cockpit from their website. Now that he is on such public display I do hope that the MoD can arrange to recover Sub. Lt. Knott`s body and give him a Christian funeral and I know that at least one US based Warbird company wants to recover both Corsair`s and restore them to flying condition,...make of that what you will. 

Here are some stills of the Corsair at the bottom of the lake;

Sebago1_zpsc2091fbd.jpg

wpf6e7dd9c_05_06_zpsv9stzumj.jpg[/url]

As a tribute to both Sub. Lt`s Knott and Gill I decided to build my Tamiya Birdcage Corsair in the markings of JT160 and and here is my build thread on Britmodeller; http://www.britmodel...m-mki-finished/  which might explain a few things such as the blue painted strips in front of the cockpit and on the gun ports! It also mentions how the Eagle Strike decals were adapted for this model.

Here is the finished model;

DSCF6355_zpsvqd35wcm.jpg

DSCF6353_zpsqkktizie.jpg

f4_zpsvlypfru4.jpg

f7_zpsz8p7n8er.jpg

DSCF6363_zpsmabwwgm7.jpg

DSCF6362_zpsqmqllizn.jpg

f6_zpsgcmjzfzv.jpg

DSCF6361_zpsryvu0kbu.jpg

I`d like to dedicate this model to Sub. Lt`s. Knott and Gill and I`d also like to thank Bill Bunting in Canada for all of his help with this model,.....I really couldn`t have done it without you mate and I really appreciate it!

Cheers

Tony 

PS- I meant to add that this was brush painted using Tamiya and Polly Scale acrylics and a big brush!

Edited by Big Tony

Superb paint and finish!  You really dont see the Brit marked F-4Us much and this one is a BEAUT!    I have to say that my OCD would never let me build an aircraft with one wing up and one down............same reason I cant put a-symmetric load outs on any of my builds.  :lol:

Congrats on a fine model.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hello Folks,

Thank you all for your very kind words,........they are very much appreciated and I`m so glad that you like it.

The Tamiya Corsair is a dream of a kit and I cannot believe that I was quite scared of starting it now! I enjoyed this model so much that I have an F4U-1A now in order to build a Corsair Mk.II or III of the British Eastern Fleet! 

Excellent build as always, Tony! Looks terrific. May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Hiya Kev,

I`d be honoured if you want to feature it on the website alongside my other stuff. 

Cheers everybody and like Maru says earlier,......lets hope that both pilots and their aircraft can rest in peace either in or out of the lake,

Tony

Edited by Big Tony