Meteor and "high speed silver"

Rob Colvin

There was no such colour as "high-speed silver"; it was "silver, to a high-speed finish," which is not quite the same thing. It was found that early post-war paints, being basically the same as pre-war paints, would not stick to the surface, so the dope needed a coat of gloss varnish (which matted down with use.)

This problem was what caused Camm to have the Hunter prototype painted Sky (plus varnish,) and led to the wraparound scheme on some fighters.

Thanks, Mike! Makes sense now.

Kev

My pleasure Kev.  As an aside, the dayglo strips were actually a plastic-like material backed with adhesive and a peel-off backing sheet.

My pleasure Kev.  As an aside, the dayglo strips were actually a plastic-like material backed with adhesive and a peel-off backing sheet.

Ah, so not paint at all! Many modern aircraft markings seem to be done this way, rather than with paint.

Kev

I remember my model Jet Provost 3 being adorned with real scotch cal fluorescent orange sticky back plastic in 1964, as a six year old living at RAF Acklington, at the time home of 6 FTS.

The high speed silver, in the jet age, was polyurethane aluminium paint. (I had a tiny quantity of that too).

The closest I've seen to scotch cal is Hasegawa Trytool fluorescent orange.

Tony

• 1 month later...