Sign in to follow this  
Maketar Productions

Opinion or two, needed...

Hi guys,

I am just about to finish design for new sets, subject specific with profile art for each aircraft but the more i think about these new sets the more doubt in idea of '3' subjects per set...

Whenever i bought a set of decals for example, i bought it because of markings for one aircraft and i barely ever used remaining 2 or how ever there may left.

Instead, i was thinking about one subject sets, less expensive then 3 per set and you only get what you need.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this one!

many thanks,

Alek

I like it.  I totally agree on the single ship sheet. As an example, Id love to have one of Elis great decals sheets, but its just above my affordable range right now, as I only want decals for one ship off of the sheet, which leads to more complex ideas, like trying to share the cost of a sheet of masks or decals among many who are going to do different airplanes from the same sheet.

I think the single bird sheets would save people a lot of money. As you pointed out, most guys have a specific air-frame they are going for when building a model, and 75% of the time it seems we buy the whole sheet for the 1 ship.

Totally agree! I recently had to buy a decal sheet for 6 A/C when I only need the one. I plan to re-sell the rest of the sheet when I am done, as I often do. I would happily buy decals or masks for a single aircraft.

If you're able to do single releases then I'd be all for it, that's the way to go.

As you probably know, for decals, using the usual screen printers (Cartograf, Microscale, etc), they all require a minimum quantity to print so it's not (usually) cost effective to print at a minimum 250-300 single scheme sheets – odds of that many people wanting that one particular scheme could be unlikely. Especially in 1/32. So multiple schemes are included on a sheet in order to widen the interest for people wanting to buy the sheet. But then price goes up, but hopefully will more options then the potential buyer number goes up, so more likely to buy the sheet - and also the decal guy isn't stuck with 1000s of 1-off unsold single scheme sheets. Of course you can always re-sell the unused portion of the decals.

Guest Peterpools

Alek

One subject at a more attractive price for me

Peter

Thanks guys, that what i needed!

I understand how the decal print/production and math works but fortunately it is a bit different with masks so SINGLE subject it is!!!

I will post first 3 bf-109E profiles/subjects later today as well as some 6 P-47's.

Many thanks again,

Alek

Im latr to the party but im totaly in for a 1 subject per sheet, witch doesn't make sens for printed decals but are perfect for masks.

On a side note, is 2 subjects are really similar sometime merging the 2 can ve cost effective for you

Edited by Neo

If you're able to do single releases then I'd be all for it, that's the way to go.

As you probably know, for decals, using the usual screen printers (Cartograf, Microscale, etc), they all require a minimum quantity to print so it's not (usually) cost effective to print at a minimum 250-300 single scheme sheets – odds of that many people wanting that one particular scheme could be unlikely. Especially in 1/32. So multiple schemes are included on a sheet in order to widen the interest for people wanting to buy the sheet. But then price goes up, but hopefully will more options then the potential buyer number goes up, so more likely to buy the sheet - and also the decal guy isn't stuck with 1000s of 1-off unsold single scheme sheets. Of course you can always re-sell the unused portion of the decals.

You're right, but there is still another solution : printing several different "stand alone" sets on a large sheet, and then cut it into 4 or 6 smaller and cheaper sets. Thus there is only one make-ready time for several single releases.

The down side is that you would have exactly the same quantity of each set, whereas they would not be sold exactly the same way, depending of the interest of people.