1/48th HpH concorde

ericg

Thanks guys.

There is a little confusion as to how I want to depict this model. I have received a few messages behind the scenes on the forums that I have posted this build regarding the square position of the main undercarriage.

To clear things up a bit, Here is a picture of the real thing, immediately before the aircraft leaves the ground that I am using as inspiration for the build.

concorde-wallpaper_zpscz3ukghq.jpg

another one

concorde-11_zps0dzvhdll.jpeg

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Eric.

So even though some of the stuff that I have done so far is pretty crazy, there is always room for things to get crazier..... In my workshop I have a saying which goes `cut now and beg for forgiveness later' (as well as the banning of the saying `cant be done'). Here is another mod that is required for the pose that I wish for this model.

I wish to set the elevons in the up position reflecting the amount required to rotate the aircraft. Another session with the razor saw has relieved the model of most of its control surfaces in a fairly risky move as by doing so, some structural integrity is lost.

IMG_7759_zpsb4qha2hb.jpg

Here they are taped in position. Further research will dictate exactly how far they will need to be deflected.

IMG_7757_zpsqagrcfjd.jpg

IMG_7758_zpshj736wdd.jpg

Yow Eric!   :goodjob:

Hacking that about takes some cojones, but looks great.

How about shoving lead in the tail cone and letting gravity give you the stance? It would save you using a piece of clear sprue...

Sure thing Brad!

Part of the fun of posting builds online such as this is having folks spot details that you may have missed and offering their knowledge of the subject that you may have not known.

Here is one such example (thanks Mike!)

The Concorde has a flat panel upon which the windows are mounted into the fuselage that runs 3/4 of the way along its length. Upon first glance, the fuselage appears round but looking further, there is a very subtle flat spot that HpH missed. I am led to believe that all other kits of the Concorde have also missed this. Once I saw the detail, it couldn't be unseen, so I just had to do it! I thought through a few different options and decided that I would execute the slightly more difficult option to flatten the fuselage but would be easier to fix should things start to go pear shape. In the back of my mind was the fact that this is a hugely expensive kit and that I would only really get one shot to get it right. Like another of my recent projects (1/32 DH-88) it was many small changes that I made (the 1 % 's ) that combined to give me the result that I had with that model. This is the same thing.

The fuselage looks nice and round (which it is). There is 2 panel lines that mark the panel that should be flat. Interestingly, there a small divots where the windows should be on one side of the fuselage only, plus a very small amount of windows windows are scribed almost as if there was some thought to depicting the windows as something other that mask/paint combination but it was abandoned mid project.

IMG_7764_zpsj13grvgb.jpg

Notice the door panel lines give the best hint as to the roundness of the fuselage

IMG_7766_zpseao7jbo6.jpg

Using rigid straight edged sanders and files, I very carefully removed the Gel-coat on the panel down to the fiberglass, ensuring that the angle of the flat panel was constant along it whole length.

IMG_7770_zpsjkgwcvvx.jpg

IMG_7768_zpsvf24jwq9.jpg\

Here is the result which can be seen on the same door. There is now a constant flat spot along most of the length of the fuselage around the windows. The wavy edge can be attributed to the different depth of the gel coat vs the fiberglass shell. As I have already done the other side and primed it, rest assured it is dead straight.

IMG_7767_zpsuxrkpcoi.jpg

Oh Lordy Lordy, you keep putting me into a panic every time you start something. I should know by now that it all works out OK in the end.

Please be careful, you are probably giving your sweat glands a hard time. Although you may just be a super cool customer with ice water in your veins...