1/48th HpH concorde

ericg

Guest Uncle Fester

I'm up for one or two of those noses, Eric. 

Bang-up job you've done there.

Just let me know how much and how to get funds to you. 

UF

I'm up for one or two of those noses, Eric. 

Bang-up job you've done there.

Just let me know how much and how to get funds to you. 

UF

I am yet to solve the problem of making a copy of my master Uncle Fester, so stay tuned.

Thanks Bevan!I figured with you threatening to make an appearance in Large scale jets at expo next year, I'd better get the hell out of that category!

No threat coming from my direction, haven't even looked at the Mig 29 yet. In actual fact haven't even done a lot of building of late.

Cheers Bevan.

Guest Uncle Fester

Eric,

You have elected to tackle a very daunting project.  The joy and insight from your flying experience make it that much better.

Hopefully. this display will be something that, not only people will say "ahhhhh" about but that us modelers will take note of and remember fondly for years to come...as we do with old issues of those model mags we all used to ogle an remember oh-so-well.

Your crew looks great.  Your thought-process is clear. 

This will end up as a well-thought-out expose' on how to display an airliner in several easy steps. 

As a side note, from someone whose flying career was curtailed by the onset of diabetes, I respect what you do for a living and admire that your passion for aviation is transcendent.   Thank you for bringing your awareness to life in miniature. 

Cheers, mate. 

I hoist a pint in your direction.

Eric,

You have elected to tackle a very daunting project.  The joy and insight from your flying experience make it that much better.

Hopefully. this display will be something that, not only people will say "ahhhhh" about but that us modelers will take note of and remember fondly for years to come...as we do with old issues of those model mags we all used to ogle an remember oh-so-well.

Your crew looks great.  Your thought-process is clear. 

This will end up as a well-thought-out expose' on how to display an airliner in several easy steps. 

As a side note, from someone whose flying career was curtailed by the onset of diabetes, I respect what you do for a living and admire that your passion for aviation is transcendent.   Thank you for bringing your awareness to life in miniature. 

Cheers, mate. 

I hoist a pint in your direction.

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is very true that I am very passionate about aviation, that's for sure. When I am not at my workdesk creating aviation in minature, I am out there doing it for real. I was able to take my Dad on a recent short trip at work recently and although he was in the passenger cabin for both sectors he was still able to jump in my seat once we were on the ground and have a look around.

image.jpg1_zpss9p3gmow.jpg

Some more progress.

In deciding that I wanted this model in a dynamic pose, I fully accepted that there would need to be some other changes that had to be made to depict the model in the way I wanted. Displaying the model in the fully rotated position with the wheels just on the ground wasn't just a matter of tilting the model towards its tail and hoping for the best. As per the changes to the nose gear leg, the main undercarriage legs have received some attention as well. From reviewing lots of footage and photos, I determined that I wanted the model to be `weight off wheels', that is, the moment where the wings accept the responsibility for the aircraft and carry upward the trust that the pilot has emplaced in them. Basically, the main undercarriage oleos needed to be extended.

Now, taking a razor saw to the point at which the entire model is to be passed through is no small matter. I had determined that if anything was to work, it was to be metal or nothing. Using my lathe, I parted off the oleos from the kit Resin/metal legs.

IMG_7736_zpslixcgohj.jpg

Using a combination of different diameter metal tubing I was able to cut lengths to suit the new oleo. Each part is a press fit, meaning that it is very strong.

IMG_7738_zpsaxltcoul.jpg

By using an outer sleeve of brass tubing I am able to precisely control the length of each oleo to ensure that both sides are equal.

IMG_7739_zps4d5vashl.jpg

Here is the difference between a kit leg and a modified leg. I have installed one side of the torque links to demonstrate loaded vs unloaded oleo.

IMG_7735_zpssk9cfewt.jpg

Getting closer.....

IMG_7742_zpsg6kxsva1.jpg

Whilst I had the lathe in action, I machined up a small piece of clear sprue.

IMG_7743_zpsecjrvx5f.jpg

To make this part...

IMG_7745_zpszz6ffi8p.jpg

This small part makes a big difference to the kit. Hph have this part of the model devoid of detail and just tapering down to a fiberglass point with no provision for anything in the instructions.

IMG_7749_zpsxaj4pi76.jpg

With a bit more blending this will work out OK.

IMG_7751_zps9vlochl6.jpg

A quick mod to the cockpit in the form of a change to the control column to make it appear a bit less chunky.

IMG_7756_zpskugbl2fs.jpg