1/48th HpH concorde

ericg

Thanks guys and I am glad that the project is getting some interest.

I left my workshop for a break and came back to find my 4 year old boy had slipped in and was flying this around the room making jet noises..... gotta love it!

85E110AB-4D00-424B-BA4E-C6B100693822_zps

I have been working on some of the detail parts and have found a few issues. I will present them here not as a critisism of the kit, rather as a way around the problems for other builders of the model. A few of these issues that I have identified are as a result of possible mistakes in the instructions which although are quite nicely done, are a little hard to follow. I do stand to be corrected on these points though.

Here is a depiction of the diagram for the assembly of the wheels. Notice how there are two part 66's involved in the assembly of each wheel. As there are 8 main wheels, there should be 16 of these parts. There are only eight as presented in the box, plus there are only eight shown on the breakdown of parts in the instructions. I believe that the part closest to the undercarriage leg (on the right hand side of the screen) is a mistake in the instructions as the hub actually fills out the tire leaving no room for part 66.

IMG_7516_zps7ichzwam.jpg

Here is the parts required to assemble each wheel.

IMG_7513_zps9ha9qq2e.jpg

I feel that the parts could have been better done as complete halves of each wheel and would form a much more solid unit. The fit is quite sloppy for something that will ultimately share some of the weight of the model, but with some careful sanding, each part mates together well enough that by filling the voids with superglue, some strength can be obtained.

IMG_7514_zps0dbk6six.jpg

IMG_7515_zps1m9lzs4e.jpg

Here is another issue. The way that part 76(77) (the part that holds both of the compressor turbines and is the intake ramp) as depicted in the instructions does not fit into the nacelle at all and leaves a very large gap.

IMG_7518_zpshxshicbs.jpg

IMG_7519_zps2vimeyg8.jpg\

By reversing it, it fits perfectly (which is why I reckon the instructions are wrong) as it is `keyed' to fit like that and I was able to confirm the orientation through examination of a good walkaround on the net.

IMG_7520_zpsospsupoo.jpg

Looks like the News,com are onto your efforts :) Concorde to fly again

Usually someone has to build a difficult non-mainstream kit in order for a new mainstream kit to be announced. Such is the power of Eric, however, that he's inspired someone to re-release the real thing.

Kev

Usually someone has to build a difficult non-mainstream kit in order for a new mainstream kit to be announced. Such is the power of Eric, however, that he's inspired someone to re-release the real thing.

Kev

And unfortunately, both the real thing and the HpH version are beyond my wallet and skill set:(

This is an exciting, elegant and timely (given a recent news story) thread Eric.

She was an extremely graceful aircraft in service and a big girl by the looks of her.

I can't imagine much will be seen of the interior through two layers of sloped glass but it will be interesting finding out.

For me, Concorde looked at her best in flight with the high speed visor raised. Difficult to display as a model in that configuration but definitely at her most beautiful.

Keep us posted on your progress mate. If anyone can give her a smooth, gloss white finish it's you.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer