[W] MiG-23MLD Flogger-K - Trumpeter 1:32.

Gelerth

Yesterday I started doing an emblem on the vertical fin instead of typical star unfortunately I could not mask it properly. All the time it end up in wrong shape.

IMG_2944.JPG

I found some blueprints of the plane and along with transformed picture of plane from monument I was able to create some masks in Photoshop. Unfortunately i do not have the progress photos only the result:

IMG_2959.JPG

I've painted some details where you spen more time on masking then on painting:  :mental:

IMG_2958.JPG

And the side numbers. There were two in kit 07 and 57 but I've needed 96, so again using blueprints, orinal photo, printer, paper, and masking tape I've done some my own masks. This is how it looks during painting.

Masking, primer, preshading, base colour and additional colour

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

The result is not the best but as for the first time I think it's quite good:

IMG_2957.JPG

This is turning out fantastic!

There's been a lot of buzz about pre-shading, recently. Most of it has been pretty negative. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the technique, as I feel it's used too often where it doesn't really lend itself well, or when it's not properly executed. However, I feel that this build is the exception to that. This aircraft has obviously been repainted and most likely over an existing finish and probably over a lot of dirt and corrosion, as well. So, I feel that it's certainly justified and the fact that you're pulling it off without giving it the "checkerboard", or "quilted" look, is a testament to your ability and understanding of the technique. Bravo! :thumbsup:

John

Wow, that's some really good work on cutting the masks yourself. I have never felt confident doing that, on my current build I tried for the first time using vinyl masks and it worked great. But you've done a really convincing job on your own, the multi coloured layered mask on the number is brilliant.

One thing I did around the edges of my masking is touch-ups using enamel paint and a really fine brush. The paint tone is not identical, but it's hard to notice when the area is so small (and in any case it's a lot better to have a sliver of almost-right paint than it is to have a strong contrast where there isn't supposed to be one). if it were me, I'd do this with your numbers.

Cheers

Jim

This is turning out fantastic!

There's been a lot of buzz about pre-shading, recently. Most of it has been pretty negative. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the technique, as I feel it's used too often where it doesn't really lend itself well, or when it's not properly executed. However, I feel that this build is the exception to that. This aircraft has obviously been repainted and most likely over an existing finish and probably over a lot of dirt and corrosion, as well. So, I feel that it's certainly justified and the fact that you're pulling it off without giving it the "checkerboard", or "quilted" look, is a testament to your ability and understanding of the technique. Bravo! :thumbsup:

John

John, thank you and I think you are totally right and I know that I'm using this method too often, but I always try to cover the black preshaded elements as much as possible. To level when black is barely visible.

Sometime ago I used other metods like cloud painting or panel highlight but so far (unfortunately) preshading gives best results. I know it is easy to create a look where model is or looks like a cheap toy and it can destroy few weeks work. 

Wow, that's some really good work on cutting the masks yourself. I have never felt confident doing that, on my current build I tried for the first time using vinyl masks and it worked great. But you've done a really convincing job on your own, the multi coloured layered mask on the number is brilliant.

One thing I did around the edges of my masking is touch-ups using enamel paint and a really fine brush. The paint tone is not identical, but it's hard to notice when the area is so small (and in any case it's a lot better to have a sliver of almost-right paint than it is to have a strong contrast where there isn't supposed to be one). if it were me, I'd do this with your numbers.

Cheers

Jim

Jim, thank you. I did this for the first time as I wrote, and the only thing needed is a sharp knife and sure hand as I cut them without ruler only by hand.

Thank you for the tip with the brush. Those imperfecions are barely visible on model as the total height of numbers is around 22mm/0,9".

Unfortunately on photo which is taken close to the model those flaws are upsized.

I will try to correct them soon.

I know it's not a real camo scheme, but that looks so cool!  And love how the masks have come out, sure looks clean.  Will be looking forward to seeing it mounted up on the base

Matt  :frantic:

Thank you very much Matt.

I am looking forward to see this Mig finished...it looks amazing so far.

Martin

Thank you Martin.

it works from here. 

Thank you.

Just before the weekend I managed to paint chaff/flares ejectors:

IMG_2960.JPG

And for the long time I was thinking how to do a nose cone. I did it like this:
IMG_2961.JPG

• 1 month later...

It's been some time after last update. Shame to say but model after gloss lacquer was put aside as I just could not resist and do not open/start Smerch model from Meng. :mental:

Finally time had come to finish MiG. I did some wash on the bottom side, gluing also gear struts:

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

And started wash on top:
IMG_3112.JPG

After this I've painted exhaust nozzle: 
IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG
IMG_3115.JPG
IMG_3116.JPG

You're teasing us with the close ups (but they look great!). Can't wait to see the entire model presented! :coolio:

John

Thanks John. I have to finish base first. It's almost done but I have to add some more grass around monument.

This is so well done! Great work....Harv

Thank you very much Harv.

Really neat work, I'm sure I could never manage a finish this clean (and if I did I couldn't photograph it so well).

Great job

Jim

Thank you very much Jim.

This is coming together really nicely now!

Kev

Thank you Kevin.

In the meantime I've add some dirt and striking. I think it's enough, I do not want to overdo:

IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG

I've made my own static grass applicator and I tried it on the base:
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG

And with some different versions of teeth:
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG

I'm still waiting for the base and glue to dry, that's why I think that final photos will be in new year.
Now enjoy your Christmas time with family and friend and have a wonderful time.